Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool's Future

• 28-05-2005 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of semi discussions of this going on, and I figure it'd be an interesting thread :)

Do people honastly believe that Liverpool can get into the top 3 this year?
    United and Arsenal had, by their standerds, a torried season, and United were still 19 points ahead of Liverpool, Arsenal were 25!
    The team is going to be totally reworked, totally! I'm sure their list of releases and sales is gona be huge, with the Houllier group shipped out, and a Spanish contingent brought in.
    I still think they are 6 players short of a Premiership winning team.
    Goalie, CB, Left Back, Left Wing, Right wing, Striker.

Some may be suprised about Riise, I like the guy, hes got a hell of a short, but defensivly he just doesn't do it, and he isn't good enough on the left wing for defo.
    Hyypia has been a good servant, but its time for him to move on.
    Kewell is, well crying probably right now.
    Garcia is good in the CL, but hasn't done much in the Prem, there needs to be a challenge for him there.
    Strikers, well Baros gone, Morientes and Cisse ain't enough.

I've heard people think they have a shot at the PL? Is this a common view?

Next Season? 47 votes

Champions
    0% 0 votes
    Top 3(which would become top 4)
    8% 4 votes
    4th?
    42% 20 votes
    Below that?
    48% 23 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmmmm. after the season just gone I'm not sure predictions make much sense anymore!

Hyypia is safe according to Rafa as is Kewell. The latter is being shiped off the be fixed properly over the summer I belive. While the Finn will I'm sure be used increasingly sparingly next season.

We proberly need an additonal CB, a RW (pity SWP is so expensive) a holding midfielder if, as seems likely Hamann leaves, a striker to replace Baros. Morientes is'nt going anywhere nor is Luis Garcia.

Someone on the left? Maybe but I think Riise and Kewell (if fit) plus Warnock
    should be enough. The GK postion is sorted it seems.

Prospects for next season are impossible to predict, more new players means more time to gell and acclimatise is needed. Prolly the best to hope for is a tighter finnish vis-a-vis the "big three".

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Liverpool should get fourth spot this season if they get in enough decent new players. They might get 3rd if things fall to peices for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Or Arsenal for that matter.
    Bannor was talking about Wenger leaving for Valencia.
    Henry is getting seriously tracked by Barca.
    Arsenal without Henry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote:
    Arsenal without Henry!
    are nothing

FA cup comes to the mind

Well thats silly to say, since they would have 40 mill to replace him :) But they are weakened, and certainly not nothing

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Well thats silly to say, since they would have 40 mill to replace him :) But they are weakened, and certainly not nothing
    i'll replace my nothing with not that much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

are nothing

Except FA Cup champions of course. What does it say about Man U that Arsenal without Henry are nothing and yet Manu with Rooney and RVN cannot beat them.

Think Utd have been falling behind the pace for a while now and it will be them who pool replace in third place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'd hate to make any predictions under this current manager, simply because he has defied the odds.

However, I think after winning the CL it will boost their confidence going into the PL, although most teams now will want to try and beat them and say the beat the European Champions. That will be something they will face, week in week out.

I'll just sit back and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

mike65 wrote:
    Prolly the best to hope for is a tighter finnish vis-a-vis the "big three".
    Should that not be the "big four" mike? :D

On a serious note though, liverpool's premiership form this season was poor. Its alright winning a cup, but the priority for any club should be their domestic league. Parry admitted this himself...

With a few signings etc, Liverpool could push for 4th again. I dont see them being stronger than Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd to be honest. Perhaps they can give Everton another run for their money....

It should be an interesting season none the less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Top 3, ahead of United & Everton I reckon. United are somewhat in turmoil at the moment and there's a lot of uncertainty about the future. Everton may finish in the top 6 but that's about it - the teams that were below them won't be as inconsistant next season and the extra fixtures in the CL (if they qualify) will be tough for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

i think top 3 although there league performance was poor they did play the most games in all competions (i think) and althoguh Chelsea played a lot of games aswell Liverpool dont have the same size squad (and prob wont for the next season either) i think they will make top 3 (if not in CL) at the cost of Arsenal i think fergy has a few top class signings up his sleave this summer

p.s. dont like the sly dig of: top3 (which will end up being forth)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I can see a top three finish. By the sounds of all the transfer rumours it looks like being another season of players settling in and adapting to the english game though.

As for signings, I think a CB, LB and RW will shore up our major problems. Our depth in squad isn't too bad, with the likes of Biscan and, at times, Traore showing they can step up, added to all our young talent like Warnock, Potter, Flo Po and Le Tellac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

What's Wenger going to do at Valencia? It's neither a step down or a step up from Arsenal. They're similar clubs in terms of financial ability and I think it's definitely Wenger's tactics costing Arsenal in Europe. If a manager (with lots of european experience even though the league form would suffer) came in for Wenger I wouldn't mind seeing him go because he's done us proud making us a title contending club.

p.s. dont like the sly dig of: top3 (which will end up being forth)

If any of Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd dropped out of the top 3, I can't imagine it would be by many points at all, and in turn it would become a top 4
    Wahts the problem with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Keep writing off Utd lads...I enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

The real problem for Liverpool in the league is consistency.. How can we beat Juve, Chelsea and Madrid in the CL and then lose to crystal palace. This has been the problem for the best part of 15 years.

We need results week in and week out. All i want next season is to be competitive with the top three. I think winning is unrealistic but I would be very happy with top three finish as it will show a definite improvement. Top three and 10 point behing winners would be excellent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

cheesedude wrote:

Delighted to hear that... :/

cheesedude wrote:
    i cant wait till next season ill laugh if liverpool got 5th place again lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

my predictions for next year

1 Chelsea
    2 Liverpool
    3 Arsenal
    4 Tottenham
    5 Man City
    6 Newcastle
    7 Bolton
    8 Middlesbrough
    9 Everton
    10 Aston Villa
    11 West Ham (assuming they win Monday)
    12 Fulham
    13 Sunderland
    14 Blackburn
    15 Charlton
    16 WBA
    17 Birmingham
    18 Man Utd
    19 Portsmouth
    20 Wigan

nlgbbbblth wrote:

18 Man Utd
    man utd 18th omg you must be joking lol never heard so much bull in my life you must be taking the mickey :D

im still laughing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

man utd 18th omg you must be joking lol never heard so much bull in my life you must be taking the mickey :D

im still laughing

it's going to be like 1974 all over again.

nlgbbbblth wrote:

1 Chelsea
    2 Liverpool
    3 Arsenal
    18 Man Utd

Never goinna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Kept looking down to find Man Utd on that list after I found the first three. I think it'll look like:

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. Man Utd

I'm not letting any bias get in the way here, I'm just being pragmatic about it all - Man United have some major reshuffling to do.

In all honest, I think it will look like this:

1) Chelsea
    2) Man Utd/Arsenal
    3) Arsenal/Man Utd
    4) Liverpool

NoelRock wrote:
    Kept looking down to find Man Utd on that list after I found the first three. I think it'll look like:

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. Man Utd

I'm not letting any bias get in the way here, I'm just being pragmatic about it all - Man United have some major reshuffling to do.

I think it may finish like that too. Chelsea will be far too consistent for any side to compete with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

NoelRock wrote:

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. Man Utd

Agreed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Do people honastly believe that Liverpool can get into the top 3 this year?
    Do you honestly think they could have won the CL? Its very premature to be asking this question. Wait until the season kicks off and people have come and gone.
    PHB wrote:
    United and Arsenal had, by their standerds, a torried season, and United were still 19 points ahead of Liverpool, Arsenal were 25!
    Well to be fair, Arsenal had a points tally that would have won the league in other years, and United were not far off them as the third placed team this year. Hardly a torrid season.
    PHB wrote:
    I still think they are 6 players short of a Premiership winning team.
    Goalie, CB, Left Back, Left Wing, Right wing, Striker.

Some may be suprised about Riise, I like the guy, hes got a hell of a short, but defensivly he just doesn't do it, and he isn't good enough on the left wing for defo.
    Hyypia has been a good servant, but its time for him to move on.
    Kewell is, well crying probably right now.
    Garcia is good in the CL, but hasn't done much in the Prem, there needs to be a challenge for him there.
    Strikers, well Baros gone, Morientes and Cisse ain't enough.
    A striker will be bought whether Baros goes or not Id imagine, although his departure looks imminent.

Hyypia will remain but Im sure a CB will be bought with Pellegrino moving on, his contract expired anyway didnt it? Hyypia would be more than ample cover at CB.

Riise has been outstanding this year, and will only improve. He has developed so much as a footballer under RB. Defensively he doesnt do it? Compare him to his fellow LW at the top three, Pires, Robben, Giggs, do you think any of them are defensively better than Riise? Hardly. I could only see an excellent LW come into replace him and then at that he would be a stunning squad player.

Garcia hasnt done anything in the league? He has been frustrating to watch at times, and extremely irritating at others. That said 9 goals and 6 assists from 26 starts, in his first season in a foreign league is hardly a bad end product. You would harp on about C.Ronaldo being world class but Garcias return in the league is better than Ronaldo's, and this despite him not having a great year. He should definately be more accustomed to the English game next year. Personally I dont see the need for a RW to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

I know its way too early to be making predictions, but if pushed id have to say its going to be a repeat of this season. Liverpool will challenge more but I cant see them usurping any of the big three tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I personally think Chelsea will win the league next season again. I also think that Liverpool might squeeze 2nd if a miracle occurs. 3rd or 4th would be realistic considering the changes that seem to be planned by Rafa this summer.

• Advertisement

I like Garcia too, I just think he needs a challenging to bring out the best in him. Hes got quality, and it will show.

Riise in my mind is a wing back, he isn't good enough to be either a winger or a defender, but is a great wing back.
    He doesn't have tthe crossing ability, or the defending ability, and because he scores quite a bit it is overlooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

What does it say about Man U that Arsenal without Henry are nothing and yet Manu with Rooney and RVN cannot beat them.

Think Utd have been falling behind the pace for a while now and it will be them who pool replace in third place.

ah now hang on a second, utd on any other day would have put 3 or 4 past arsenal easy. hitting the post, disallowed goal, 20 something shots on goal. granted they couldnt put the ball in the net but it's very rare the best team loses. 1 missed peno and that costs us, usually if you score 4 you'd at least go into sudden death. you cant try to say arsenal are better than utd on the basis they beat utd in the fa cup.

like last year, utd give up on the league imo when they know they wont come 1st so again i dont think you can draw a whole lot from arsenal finishing above utd in the league.

you just have to look at liverpool's inconsitency throughout the league season, we talk about utd and arsenal dropping points, this champions league will paper over liverpool's poor league season. that could be positive for pool, it could also be negative.

Oh the old, we're concentrating on the cup chestnut.

Oh the old, we're concentrating on the cup chestnut.

Well he is right. I mean, what do you expect when you say something like this:
    What does it say about Man U that Arsenal without Henry are nothing and yet Manu with Rooney and RVN cannot beat them.

So what does it say about Norwich who beat a practically full man utd team? That Norwich are better than Utd? pfft..

As for this, well, I guess we will just have to wait and see...

I really do wish that people would read the preceding posts ina thread before a comment is passed on one or two of them. It was stated that Arsenal without Henry are "Nothing". The Arsenal team without Henty, lets call them nothing for this example, defended well and had to change their tactics without Henry to compete. They conceded no goals and scored none, a stalemate, so at the very best in that game where Arsenal had no Henry, Man U were equal to nothing.

Now let's bring this back on topic a little - United fans say, we gave up on the league once we could not win it and then lost in the cup too, they feel justified in saying this as they are United fans. Liverpool fans say we have had a much more punishing schedule than other teams and concentrated on the CL, which POOL WON btw and yet other naysaying fans of which there are a few here belittle that magnificent achievement and say that liverpools future lies in tatters because they won the CL and it will only serve to make them feel good about a poor season overall. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Liverpools future depends on how often we see the first half Liverpool team from Wednesday night. Utd beat them easily in both league games this season so I'm not too worried about being overtaken by the pool . Benitz has a proven track record in europe but his league record this season is worse than Houliers so I think he needs to adjust his tactics for the premiership and get his team playing consistantly well before they can topple either Chelsea Arsenal or United.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree with that Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Yeah I agree with that Muppet.

" :eek: " shocking, two united supporters agreeing that liverpool wont finish ahead of them nxt season

back to the subject...One way or another the liverpool team of nxt season will only have the spine of this years team, namely carragher and gerrard. i'd be very suprised if tactically benitez hasnt already adjusted to the preimiership, i just dont think he got the response from the players that he wanted i.e. the players werent good enough to adjust to the tactics he sent them out with.

now, how long it will take for new players to adjust to the premiership and having a new manger is anyones guess.

either way i think the top 4 teams in england will be chelsea/liverpool/man utd/arsenal (not meant in any particular order)

and i reckon the gap between 1st and 4th nxt season wont be anymore than 15 pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Another UEFA Cup place(5th) but I can see them winning silverware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    Utd beat them easily in both league games this season so I'm not too worried about being overtaken by the pool . .

YOu beat arsenal twice yet finished behind them in the league. Taking the 2 matches against us as a way of judging if you will finish ahead of us next season is a bit flawed.

i will wait to all summer signings are done before putting by neck on the line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Why are we making predictions when the Transfer Window hasn't even opened yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

It's silly to write united off. Sure they finished in the same place this season as last, and liverpool are a place below where they finished last season! Why are so many people assuming liverpool will be above united next season??

So they've moved up from houllier to benitez, but united still have fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

andyman wrote:
    Why are we making predictions when the Transfer Window hasn't even opened yet?

I agree, we need to do this poll in August when the transfer window closes. Even then, the season is difficult to predict as its not easy to know:

a) how new players will fit in (eg: Alonso has fitted in very well, Garcia slightly less but Pello-head-the-ball, Nunez, Josemi were rubbish signings imo).

b) what the effects of this season's CL win will have on the players/coaching staff

c) the effects of the gaps left by players who leave

d) of the players that stay, what salaries/new contracts they are getting, etc, and in relation to the newly signed players

e) if there any changes to the coaching staff

f) all the above changes for the other 19 teams

Its impossible to predict. I think that Liverpool should get a top-4 place, but they will need to get their minds back on track by Aug, and keep it thre for those terrible games like Preston, Birmingham, Fulham, etc - the usual suspects.

Btw, Boylesports are giving:

Chelsea 5/6
    Man United 11/4
    Arsenal 11/4
    Liverpool 28/1
    All Others at leas 125/1

So, they are not giving Liverpool much chance but they are saying they are worth a 4th. They have Everton in 7th and are indicating that the relegated teams will be West Brom, West Ham, Preston, with Wigan staying up.

I think the Chelsea odds are too short. I can see them having a hiccup next year, defences may get wise to the threats of Roben, Duff and Lampard. They are certain top-4 though, and probably will be challenging. It might be Arsenal's turn to suffer, with perhaps Man U recovering. I am expecting the league to be a bit tighter next season though.

Btw, for the poster that said Man U would be 18th. Grow up.

Redspider

Advertisement