Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best music venue in Galway?

Options
  • 28-05-2005 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hello Galway people, just wonderin if anyone has any advice on the best place for a gig in your city. i'm vocalist with Rage Against The Machine tribute BULLS ON PARADE. earlier in the year we did a run of gigs up and down the country ending in the Temple Bar Music Centre in dublin. Along the way we met a loada peole from Galway who asked us if we'd do a show in Galway this year. I'm hoping to arrange one for July/August.

I hear The Black Box is good but would like to get some opinions or other suggestions before deciding..( I haven't been to Galway since I was about 5!!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Ah the Black box is a nice venue. Damo rice and the likes have played there loads.

Well not sure on the availability/suitability of the roisín dubh or even busker browns, but they're pretty cool places.

Also, think Cuba Nightclub (and it's bar - just off eyre sq.) has bands playing upstairs (the frames, etc etc have played there in the past..)

That's all I can think of now.

Hey and while you're at it, no chance you'd ever want to come to ennis, co.clare??

There's three great venues: Glór (great great great venue, but might be too expensive for you though depending)

Brandon's Bar (a great place for gigs)
    The Barge Rooms (had the walls playing there about a month ago, new place too)

Anyway, hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

my favorite venue - Roisin Dubh.
    chap called Gugai runs it. lovely fella. deadly spot.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Roisin Dubh is certainly one of the best places you could go. Good sound, good turnouts, and good beer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Really small though

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

I think one of the best places to go would be the Black Box.The managers sound as hell,and the cost isnt as much as youd think.I organised a gig there in April for my band and three other bands.it can hold like 700 so theres plenty of room.If ya need a support band let me know lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 piratio

I think nobody is taking 'scale' into consideration here... The black box is a money pit if you're not guaranteed a huge crowd... A small [no offence] covers ban is not [again no offence] EVER going to fill the black box. Knowing gugai [indeed a great chap, and by local standards, a champion of the local music scene] I doubt he'd be interested in a ratm covers group. You should really go talk to dave in de'burgoes [sic] or julian in the vic. much more suitable venues. 200+ crowds, if you don't fill the place it doesn't look empty [black box is just that with anything less than 650 in there...] and the overheads are as good as non-existent...

p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Richardsons. Regular local metal/punk bands play there upstairs. Not *huge* but you'd get a good few in.
    We can mosh/headbang there.

The Vic or Cuba *might* also be options, in that order.
    Murder One played a gig in the Vic and we didn't have any hassle.

Sally Longs *might* take ye, dunno what the manager/owner's stance is on some heavier acts playing there since he decided there was more money in having the CPs muppets have some pre-club pints in there.

Róisín is probably too small, it's a lovely venue, really intimate, GiveAManAKick played a gig there back in Feb/Mar, we could headbang a bit, but couldn't really let loose, too many tables in front of the stage. Tis more of an imtimate 'sit down and enjoy' venue than circle-moshing. And I've never once heard Gugai play any Rage in the Warrick, I'm pretty sure he doesn't like them.

As for piratio suggesting DeBurgos, it's rather small, it has a low-ish ceiling, but would be good craic if it wasn't too packed I'd say.

McEoghans might also be an option.

However, if you can get the Black Box and a few support bands it would rock.
    I'll have a word with a few people and see if I can drum up some contacts for the local bands/scene.

If ye play, post here, I'll do my damndest to spread the word., good luck with it smile.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Been in Cuba a few times, decent place, nice sound system/lighting rig. Dunno how receptive they'd be to a cover band however and they seem to only have one band a night so getting Leeway to support you wouldn't work :p

As SyxPak said, Sally Longs might be an idea but it doesn't seem to be the biggest (wasn't down the back) but it seems to be constantly packed. I'd say you'd get a decent enough crowd down there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I haven't been in the TBMC - what sort of numbers were you pulling?
    What night of the week?

As stated above, there are plenty of pubs that would be receptive, but for bigger numbers, order of size is roughly Black Box, The Vic, Cuba.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There was about 150-200 people on the first Wednesday they played afaik. I'm not sure on numbers the second time. And I'm dreadful at guessing crowd numbers. TBMC was pretty much jammed though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement