Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

golf honesty

• 28-05-2005 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Here is a question to the people on this board

If you found a nice club for example a cleveland r588 sand wedge or any club that is left beside the green. Would you a) put it in your bag and pretend that nothing happened or would you b) bring it in to the clubhouse or pro shop announcing that you found a lost club and maybe ask them to keep it for the person who lost it.

I had a bad experiece in this area and I lost a beautiful cleveland sand wedge worth over 100Eur

How honest are golfers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Id bring it back, every time...

How honest are golfers?
    This is a true story -
    A mate of my fathers, who's a bit of a dodgy ****er, was playing against our local parish priest one day back about 20 yrs ago for a fiver. They were all square going up the 18th with the priest off in the rough while he was in the middle of the fairway 50 yards further up. So the two boys went looking for the priests ball, my dads mate finds it but being a dodgy ****er he sees the priests back is turned so he sticks it in his pocket. They keep looking and after a few minutes the priest tells him to go on & play his own ball & that it looked like the ball was lost. So my dads mate starts walking up to his ball & he's half way up when the priest shouts up to him that he's found his ball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Found loads along the way. Always leave them in the clubhouse. I've lost a few and always got them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

MAG

What a great story......when reading it, you feel sorry for the priest...thinkin he was hard done by..........then he pops out a second ball....probably in the perfect lie to the a clean shot at it! GREAT !!!

:D

On the club issue....always drop them in......head covers and all.....only thing id pick up is a golf ball !!!!

Once i dropped a left handed club into the club house.......the guy said if no-one claims it within 2 weeks that i cud have it!
    I said - no use to me! (cos im right handed).....but was back 3 weeks later and enquired if someone claimed it - no one had so it took it.......so handy for a punch and run when ur up against a tree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Curran wrote:
    .......so handy for a punch and run when ur up against a tree!

wierd stuff.....
    so what club do you leave out of your bag to carry the leftie on the offchance of being up against a tree? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

i always drop them in too, although its nearly always someone 1 or 2 groups ahead espec if lost at green, so i normaly try to check that out first, catch them when passing fairways or something, otherwise they are gone home by time im finished.

warning heres a rant tho :mad: , when im driving poor im pretty long and loose off tee all day compared too some auld member on a different hole who wouldnt consider where my ball landed a normal position to find a ball, i'd still have a shot in but by time i get to my ball some aulfella whose shairing the ruff im in but on a different hole is putting my ball in his pocket.
    if i get there in time its
    "oh sorry about that, jayzee you must ave gave that a big wallop"
    or worse "no, that was my ball i hit"
    or even worse "im playing a ....(reads name on ball squinting, and mis-pronounces it)"

now ive nowt against old golfers, its one of the best things about the game that ye can keep playing for ever, its just that there like jackdaws, they cant see you coming towards them from 250, and when you get close enough to call them they cant here ye.

i think its cause if im sprayin it off tee, ive probably lost a ball, so i got a nice shinny new one straight out of a sleve, they just cant resist it!

another dangerous group of kleptos is the freindly-competion fourball of young men, they dress like their on the tour even have caps plastered with logos, 3 bals on the fairway, and one waffler looking for his ball about 30 ahead of them in the joining ruff right where my ball is, they'l hit it if they see you coming to gain an advan in their little comp, so you have 5 people around a divot and 4 of them know one of them is lying. i drop, hit, walk 40 up the ruff, and theirs a brand new prov1.

women are the best, you could leave a sleve of balls near them, they wouldnt touch them

mag wrote:
    wierd stuff.....
    so what club do you leave out of your bag to carry the leftie on the offchance of being up against a tree? ;)

Ah the old 3 & 4 irons are in the skip....well not quite!

Can never hit a 3 or 4 off the fairway or anywhere for that matter!!
    So i got my leftie club and my ball retriver (fav. one in the bag).....that makes the 14!! :D

JEZZ OKDEN.....got a solution to it all for ya!

If ya have a temper like that on the tee you are going to spray them brand new out of the sleeve golf balls all over the place!

Do yourself a favour....count to ten.....and on 7 on the way to 10 just swing it nice and easy!

Straight up the middle of the fairway........and then you have the time to collect everyone elses balls......even time to play both of them and collect the auld lads ball (on the opposite fairway) 175 yards up the hole!!! :D

As for the women....never hit it far enough to loose it so they dont have to rob yours........which is nice......but when im walkin to the 1st tee and i see a 4ball of women it makes me a lil upset :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yeah i always drop them in. On occasions i have even had grown men saying" oo im gna pocket this club" and me being 17 and usually shy i make sure they drop it in, clubs are exspensive these days. One day the devil tempted me by dropping a practiacly brand new 60* vokey wedge on the fairway. I was like, odd. After alot of confering i brought it in, but after the regulated time it had not been collected so they said i could have it, but when they looked for it it was gone. Seemly one of the staff took it, saying" but the time was up and no one collected" =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

I would always bring the club back to the clubhouse or as mentioned check if anyone ahead owns it. Funny story Mag !

Curran, don't go gettin yourself upset if you see a ladies fourball ahead ... some ladies fourballs play quicker than some mens fourballs ... :p !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭guest31

ah yeah, it has to go back, do unto others what you would like done to yourself and all that. On the honesty front, only thing I ever did that was a bit dodgy, and opinions welcomed - competition day, drove into thick rough, other players helped me look for the ball, after 4 mins, one found it, great I go, they go on ahead a bit, I get my club, return and have managed to lose the ball again.... crap, now I look like a total twat, so I threw down another ball into the same rough and took my shot. I didn't score on that hole anyway (probably felt so guilty I kind of wrote off the hole) ... I know technically a disqualifying matter, was it really that bad? ps. never done anything else like this, don't intend to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Bring it to the clubhouse without doubt.

Some w4nker didnt leave my 4 iron back and it took me nearly 6 months to get a replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ziggy67 wrote:
    When i seen this thread i thought it was about Monty.... :)
    ditto :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

As said above, ask players when you pass them on the fairways and failing that, hand it into the clubhouse. I'm a fecker for leaving my sand wedge/jigger around the green but I've always gotten them back (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

ziggy67 wrote:
    When i seen this thread i thought it was about Monty.... :)
    what is the deal with monty? was he caught cheating? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement