Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Galaxies?

Options
  • 28-05-2005 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I'm currently doing my leaving cert and I'm sure anyone in the same situation as me can tell you about the torture of trying to shut yourself off from the world and start studying especially when such addictive games are being released all the time. Anyway I've decided to stick to pact and I'm not going to go back to games untill I've finished my Leaving Cert. I've been thinking about which game I want to start and I was looking at Star Wars Galaxies which looks amazing but I've only read bad things about it from here. I played Knight online for a month or two when it was in beta testing (I don't know if it still is) and that wasn't bad. I'm realy trying to decide between SWG and WOW. I've played WOW over at my mates house and to be totaly honest I realy didn't see what all the hype was about. So is SWG any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭[Core]

Nope. Played it for 10 days on a trial then left it forever. It's CRAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

I played it for a while and got bored. Think it lasted less than 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

How much is the subcription for this game? I'd like to try it too as I'm a big fan of Star Wars and KOTOR I & II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Gangsta wrote:
    How much is the subcription for this game? I'd like to try it too as I'm a big fan of Star Wars and KOTOR I & II.
    It's something like $12.00 a month if you subscribe for a year. $13.00 a month for 6 months I think and $15.00 for a single month. You get one free month at the start. I think I'm going to give it a try aswell. I've been reading up on it and it along with the latest expansions seem fairly cool. Besides that I'm not into all that fantasy crap. I'm more of a Starwars kind of guy.

Only Human wrote:
    Besides that I'm not into all that fantasy crap. I'm more of a Starwars kind of guy.

'nuff said. Although I'll have to wait until my LC is over nxt year as I'm going for real high points. :(

• Advertisement

Read about the latests CU, people are going craaaaazy.

Cu?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

people were going crazy....cause the rules of fighting changed...rest of us got on with it...hundreds if not thousands claimed they were quitting...some did...most are now looking for other things to moan about...not to mention still claiming theyre gonna quit....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Dont suppose there is a trial for SWG? Its something I'd like to try, if only to get it out of my system, but I'm not buying it...

You have to buy the game and then you can try it for a while, I think.

• Advertisement

at the moment you can get the new pack that was released with the 2 expansions and the game for 15 pounds on play...that gets you a month free aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I played it for a few months and thought it was fine. People whine about all the games, so in the end it's really up to personal preference. There used be a month's trial on fileplanet, but I think that's over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OK ill try settle the arguement once and for all about mmo =)

Keywords:
    Instances: These are areas where only you and your party are visible no one else

Guild Wars:
    As far as mmo goes its not. The game is a hack n slash rpg online. Its mega bonus is no monthly fee, but this covers the games other flaws. The only contact you can get in touch with other players in in towns. Outside it is what is called instances. The game is one big instance with little player interaction. PVP combat only appears in arenas really. Its a decent attempt and a good try out for a first timer.

City of Heroes:
    This title had great expectation. The whole hero theme was dieing for an mmo for ages. It is lovely detailed, nice colours and a massive creation screen for a truly original hero, although you find other people share your taste in cosutme. Flaws. The game has very few servers, therefore there is massive numbers of players online. In the zones that give missions etc you can easily have thousands of people on your screen and without a good Broadband connection and a good pc your going to stutter. Camer can take a while to get used to and it does seem rather easy and fights tend to be boring. The gmae focus' on doing missions rahter then grinding. The mission givers is also poorly done.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    Greatest hyped game of al ltime. Star wars going mmo. People all over the world discussed how they would have a cool jedi this and jedi that. The game was not as hot as it was thought. People found that making a jedi took absoulte lifetimes to do. The developers chose to ignor the vastly popular and well structed Knights of the old republic engine and opted for something else. The game lacks in my opinion with some poor gameplay and fighting tends to be boring. For a subscription game it dissapoints. It has the advantage of being extremely cheap to buy.

World of Warcraft:
    The PC's fastest selling game and the worlds biggest played game of all time. This game ahs smashed every record out there and rightly so. This game is gorgous to look at with colourful graphics. The worlds and envirmoents are huge and sprawling and fun to play. The game has many an interesting quest (over 5000) but they do follow the same pattern, gather something/kill certain no. of something/kill someone/go somewhere. The game is very focused on grinding , if you want. The game has the best pvp system i have met. It also has a chose of rp,pvp or pve servers. And it also has massive amounts of servers so you never feel that there is overpopulation.

In my opinion after playing them all for deent time WoW wins by alot. It is not breathtaking at first, but like every mmo you cant have a friend stand beside you and love it, a mmo takes time to play. But Wow definatly wins and if you dont believe me or every paid critic in the world then its down to your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

an over obvious biased report in favor of wow. guildwars was made by ncsoft iirc who also made COH. there are plenty of COH servers and the only time i have ever seen more than a hundred people in the same place is at arenas and even then thats sparse. the game is bigger than you let on.

the only relevant bit of your whole post is this
    its down to your preference

my advice is surf the freebies for a few months hop from game to game that allows a FREE trial before thinking of paying out, its what i did and im very glad i did it. find a game you feel comfortable with before shelling out.

There WAS a free trial for SWG up on gamespot, not sure if it's still going. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It is not really biast, I have played wow the more because i feel it is a better game. I did not like guild wars, it felt too much like a fancy diablo for me. But then it is free and would suit new comers tothe genre. But my advice is to get the best mmo if it is your first, cause you will be impressed by the genre, many make the mistake of getting bad ones and they get turned off.

Statisticly and criticaly world of warcraft is the best. I have rarely met anyone saying they didnt like it.

fanboi-ism aside wow is not definativly better than any other mmo, as i said the only reasonable advice anyone can give is to go for the trials and see which you like, you may like wow you may not but dont take anything at face value from what people say here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Fanboi-ism aside, it's simply the best one out there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

bought SWG yesterday and going to start it on the weekend.
    mate of mine has been playing for a while and really loves it.

teethy you are the biggest bandwagon jumping fanboi of them all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

problem with Jaggehs advice is there aren't any free trials available for WoW unless you happen to have a friend who has already bought it, got a trial key (most ppl didn't), and still has it.

I've played SWG (a bit, got bored), CoH (a lot, got bored eventually), WoW (a hell of a lot, still not bored). I'd suggest buying WoW.

Quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

If an MMO is giving out free trials it is very likely that the game either sucks, or isn't doing well commercially and therefore will begin to suck soon enough.

Jag, seriously, you've had your fun with SOE and we're impressed that you're being all different - but it's time to play WoW. :)

to me wow just looks like a 3d LoM, it doesnt look apealling to me at all so il lstick with Eve till they get around to making Elite 4

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

OK ill try settle the arguement once and for all about mmo =)

In MY OPINION i would say that SWG is a fine game, has a good community, PvP is nice and PvE is a tad repetetive,also has the best crafting system i've seen in this genre of games, but whatever floats your boat...

World of Warcraft:
    The game has the best pvp system i have met.

Erm wrong.. only one game will have the title of best PvP system, this is Dark Age of Camelot .. it's is the main focus, and end-game feature and i aint seen anything like it in ANY other MMORPG , i would say this system wont be beaten for another few years minimum.
    In my opinion after playing them all for decent time WoW wins by alot.
    exactly , in your opinion , but i would still say it has less to offer than SWG has presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

been playing SWG for over a year now and still log on pretty much everyday whether thats to whip about with the main char (jedi knight/alliance master pilot). Play around on one of the crafters (chef/Bio engineer/Artisan) or to go out in huntgroups for organic harvesting sessions with the unlock char its all good. I enjoy the interaction, the players itself mostly keep me playing everyday with the general banter you get on vent. PvE is where im mostly found although i tend to pvp alot from time to time, the new expansion added alot of nice content to the game, quests/rewards etc and the new combat system favours alot of group play now which is nice in itself but has a few fundamental flaws (jedi visibility being the main one i suppose).

Everyone thats told me how great WoW is and who 'quit' swg and proclaimed on our forums and in guildchat how great wow is, what it has to offer and how swg is a shabby edition to it went off to play wow and nearly every last one of them returned to playing swg and giving up wow after hitting a certain char lvl and i use the word i heard mentioned mostly all the time was "burned out" and repetitive, and how much they missed the swg community. The Quest system i heard was fantastic, for the first few weeks then i hear it gets very very repetitive and the same ole same ole..

I havent played wow, i must admit i have no real desire to either as it just dosent look like my thing what so ever and the fact that nearly everyone i knew who 'left to go play wow' came back everytime tells me it cant be all that great in the firstplace.

I would recommend SWG but then again its all about preferance and what your into, im a star wars buff and have not been into elves/shamans/wizards and whatever else that has been put across 5 thousand times over in mmo's so a starwars galaxy suited me down to the ground

Is there a SWG trial, I'd give it a shot, if there were.

there isnt at the moment Ivan...

Teethy theres a number of boards users still playing swg, sure theres lots of bugs in the game, hell that probably wont change but it dosent really make a difference...but as big chief pointed out its doing something right if even after dumping it people keep comming back...and at the moment people are swarming back...even wow players

I play as much as chief, more of a pilot than anything else, can be found pretty much doing anything except crafting...where as i stopped pvp'ing around november, ive picked it up again its actually alot of fun even tho there are swarms of jedi about which was the reason i stopped..

Theres alot of fun to be had in swg, if your willing to look for it.

There is something nice lined up for pilots however, if youve played it since jump to lightspeed youll know how significant this is....taken at the recent fanfest

http://homepage.mac.com/jevans12/iMovieTheater2.html

You have to admit though, the whole star wars angle, probably has something to do with people coming back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ivan wrote:
    You have to admit though, the whole star wars angle, probably has something to do with people coming back to it.

While I agree to a certain extent, the number of ex-players coming back aren't really influenced by the release of RotS.
    Most of my old guild are starting to resub....many have left WoW citing it as boring and repetitive after you level out.
    the combat upgrade may have pissed a lot of people off but apparently it's fixed some of the problems that drove so many to leave in the first place.
    Add to that the kashykk expansion and JtL and the upcoming captial ships and the game is starting to move towards what we were promised we'd see at release.
    If I had the time, I'd prolly resub and reroll (no way I'm doing weaponsmith again lol).

• Advertisement
Advertisement