Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No beef in Bovril!

• 28-05-2005 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

A little hung-over this morning so for the first time in months I decided to have a cup of Bovril. It tasted a little different, so I looked at the ingredients on the back to see if anything new had been added. To my surprise I found a little sign saying 'suitable for vegetarians'. Unilever have removed all the beef stock from Bovril (it used to account for 40%) and replaced it with a yeast extract. So now Bovril is a vegetarian drink. Am I the last to know about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/4023239.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Romo wrote:
    and replaced it with a yeast extract. So now Bovril is a vegetarian drink. Am I the last to know about this?

Changed during the time of the BSE crisis I guess.
    Lots of other foodstuff had similar changes.
    Polo mints had a similar thing - they had gelatine (a glue like substance derived from bones of cattle) in it, but they took it out and now all packs of polo mints have a "suitable for vegetarians" logo on it.

I guess Bovril is just like a jar or Marmite now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well, I've just gone and checked the jar of Bovril we have in the press here and, according to the ingredients on the jar here, it still lists beef stock as an ingredient. Strange! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Hugo Reyes

Well, I've just gone and checked the jar of Bovril we have in the press here and, according to the ingredients on the jar here, it still lists beef stock as an ingredient. Strange! :confused:

How many cobwebs were in that press

ps are u aidan dune from JOS

No cobwebs, Hugo! :D No, it's still in date and all. Was bought a while ago, I'll admit, but it's still in date. So I think this must be a more recent thing regarding the beef stock than whiskeyman has suggested, i.e. it being removed since the BSE crisis. Or could it be that Bovril is made differently for the Irish market and that beef stock is still included in Bovril that's meant to be sold in this country and that the original poster has a jar that was originally made for the UK market, perhaps? It's a long shot, maybe, but who knows.

(Hugo, don't know what you mean by "JOS". Please pm me so I can clarify)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Hugo Reyes

No cobwebs, Hugo! :D No, it's still in date and all. Was bought a while ago, I'll admit, but it's still in date. So I think this must be a more recent thing regarding the beef stock than whiskeyman has suggested, i.e. it being removed since the BSE crisis. Or could it be that Bovril is made differently for the Irish market and that beef stock is still included in Bovril that's meant to be sold in this country and that the original poster has a jar that was originally made for the UK market, perhaps? It's a long shot, maybe, but who knows.

(Hugo, don't know what you mean by "JOS". Please pm me so I can clarify)

No sorry there was guy in my old third year class 3jos called aidan dunne

• Advertisement

Was never in a 3rd year class called 3jos. I was in 3W (Woodwork). :D

Advertisement