Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiMAX broadband coming to Ireland!

• 28-05-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

just got my usual email from monster.ie about up and coming jobs (you never know when you might need it!) and lo and behold this was in it:
    IE-Dublin-RF Manager – WiMax Broadband In an exclusive partnership with my client, a new Internet Service Provider (with the backing of a multinational US Wireless Broadband company), launching soon and offering broadband access services in Ireland, we have a position within the management team for a RF Manager to head-up the planning, roll-out, optimisation and maintenance of the network.
    Based at the companies head office in Dublin South, the position will require extensive travel throughout the greater Leinster area (and to South East/West as Network expands). etc. etc.
    So, for anyone who doesn't know what WiMAX is, have a look see at this:
    WiMAX: Broadband Wireless Access WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) is the IEEE 802.16 standards-based wireless technology that provides MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) broadband connectivity. WiMAX is an Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems, also known as the IEEE WirelessMAN air interface. WiMAX-based systems can be used to transmit signals as far as 30 miles. So far, WiMAX can offer a solution to what is normally called the "last-mile" problem by connecting individual homes' and business offices' communications.
    so, what does this mean for you and me?

faster (and very likely cheaper) broadband for those of us who already have it, and the practical realization of broadband availability for just about every household in Ireland, assuming you are within 30 miles of a transmitter.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

read the clearwire thread beside ya . thats what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sponge Bob wrote:
    read the clearwire thread beside ya . thats what it means

Ahhh, ye just beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

aha, never read that.

if it's clearwire, then I take back everythign I said above!

should have known it was too good to be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

isnt IBB not the same aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

This is what I’ve heard about WiMAX in Ireland. Irish Broadband are mentioned in this article along with Intel.

http://www.dailywireless.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3814

IBB use Breeze VL for there FWA Breeze packages. But BreezeMAX is set to replace the Ripwave product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

puma5k wrote:
    But BreezeMAX is set to replace the Ripwave product.

well i hope its faster and more realible than the ripwave crap.

Advertisement