Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels -v- Cork City; Monday

• 28-05-2005 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it's a real top of the table clash on Monday night in Tolka Park.

Both teams have played ten games, and both teams have 21 points.

Shels have been in a bit of bad form of late, losing to Bohs on friday night in the league, and losing to Linfield in the Setanta Cup Final.

In my opinion the teams are quite evenly matched on paper, but in the two Setanta Cup games Shels had a good share of the luck. Was Jamie Harris' goal over the line :) Should Cork's second goal down in Turner's X have stood? Cork hit the crossbar at the end of the Tolka park game too. :eek:

I think I'd be happy with the draw at this stage of the season. It would mean Shels stay top on Goal Difference, a third of the way through the season. Of course, a three point gap would be most welcome for either team, especially with the European games only around the corner, who knows how that will affect both teams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Shels really need to get their fúckin form together and start playing like a team. To be brutally honest, I dont know if Shels will walk away with the 3 points...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The match will be shown live on Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Crowe needs to start. For the first time ever in his Shelbourne career, I'd consider dropping Jayo, he's off form and wound up, he needs a few games on the sidelines. O'Neill or Fitzpatrick up front beside Crowe, prefrebley O'Neill. Ndo Stuey in the middle with Wes back and Ryan on the right and Rogers may have to go left back is Crawleys out, with Harris, Hawkins, Heary and Williams making up the rest of the team. If Wes is out I'd put Moore left wing and hope he plays like he cares like against Bohs.

Do that, and there's no reason why we can't play well. Start with this 4-5-1 crap and it's a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Citys away form thus far has been highly impressive, and I would be quite hopeful that it will continue on Monday.

Joe Gamble will start and thats a huge plus. If George plays like he did last night, and if O Flynn starts as well, I can see it being a very tight contest.

Like above, Id be quite happy with a draw, but absolutely ecstatic with a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If both teams play to their full potential, then it will be tight.

But, Cork have being very good away from home this season and Shels have not being performing at all well (I know they are top if the league, but I have seen most games, and have not been overly impressed, I know they can do much better). If Shels play like they did against St. Pats earlier in the season, then it will be tight.

As for what the Shels team might be, well, Richie Baker will still be out, as should be Wes Hoolahan. That is two of the most creative players in the squad. But Ndo played well against Bohs, and finally looks the full, fit part. Alan Moore took an interest against Bohs too, and if he can recreate that on Monday then it will be a bonus. If he doesn't cut it on Monday I'd be happy to see him told to get the hell out of the club. All players should be giving 100% in this game, they should need no motivation.

I've been calling for Jayo to be dropped for a few weeks now. But I'd be wary of playing an untested partnership in such an important match. Maybe Jayo/Fitzpatrick would be the way to go, then bring in Crowe at a later stage.

If Fenlon goes with the 4-5-1 again I'll cry.

Fenlon is very slow to change things.

I'll be crying on Monday.

I'm predicting a Cork City win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

0-2 to cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Im predicting a 2-1 win for Shels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

John O'Flynn is probably not fit enough to start yet. Denis Behan suffered a fractured cheek-bone against Derry and is out. This may be a blessing and Neal Fenn will come into the side with Doyle up front.

Whether Liam Kearney is fit to play will be crucial. :cool:

I won't make a prediction, 'till I know who's fit and who's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

This one has draw written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Pigman II wrote:
    This one has draw written all over it.

Either that or controversial winning goal .

• Advertisement

News on the wire is that Kevin Doyle has been sold. Whether he is available for tomorrow, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Judas Crowe and Ryan came in for some stick in Dalymount last Friday night :D sickener for $hels,Bohs fully deserved the win and all those who said we were finished this season had better think again Gareth Farrelly seems to be getting his s*it together,more's the pity we`re stuck with donkeys like Dominic Foley..anyway sweet victory the look on the $hels players at the end was priceless :D

^^^ And that has what to do with tomorrows game???
    News on the wire is that Kevin Doyle has been sold. Whether he is available for tomorrow, I don't know.

Source please? I can tell you now, for certain that Kev Doyle has NOT yet been sold and will play tomorrow night.

Good stuff.

Lets hope Kearney is fit to play too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    ^^^ And that has what to do with tomorrows game???

Source please? I can tell you now, for certain that Kev Doyle has NOT yet been sold and will play tomorrow night.

Corks forum seems to reckon hes gone well half of them do other half want the board out or is it in......class thread tho.

http://corkcityfc.ie/forums/index.php?showtopic=2575&st=0

All i care about is do Pats have a sell on fee :D

kdjac

^^^ No, he was out of contract with Pats when he left for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

:p Haha :D

For anyone remotely interested, Live updates available from Shelbourne FC Official Website.

Click here

gimmick wrote:
    ^^^ No, he was out of contract with Pats when he left for City.

But he was only a youngfella there has been cases in UK where players left on frees where later sold on and the original club got money for "training him"

/me emails Mr o Byrne :D

kdjac

2-0 Cork 10 minutes left.

Jesus thats some result if it finishes that way!

kdjac

• Advertisement

Oh My God !!!!! I Dont Belive It !

What Is Nutsy Playing At ????????????????? *anger*

Well done Cork City.

Three points clear.

Yet more injuries for Shles though, when will it end?
    me wrote:
    I'm predicting a Cork City win.

:mad: :(

Cork win 2-0 , hhmmm I didn't see the game but it looks like Shels just can't get going this season .

Big Ears wrote:
    it looks like Shels just can't get going this season .
    Ah come off it. Before this game we were top of the league. We got to the Setanta Cup final.

We have EIGHT injuries.

Top of the table clash, at a time when Shels really needed the fans to get behind them - the ground was quite empty, and from my buddy who was there - he reckoned 1500 max.

As for the game itself, well it was a strange one. No team really imposed themselves, and had Byrne scored early when he was clear through, who knows what may have happened?

City were 'lucky' for the secong goal in that it was totally against the run of play, and had it not been for an amazing double save from Mick Devine, Shels were level. City were even more lucky in the 2nd goal took not one, not 2, but 3 deflections. How sweet it was to see Williams, a man who has thwarted City so many times, scramble and end up pushing/helping the ball into the net.

That being said, I dont think Shels can have any complaints. The ref took control of a game that could very easily have got very volatile. Maybe another would have red-carded Roy O Donovan for his lungle at Heary.

I just wonder how much credit Eamon Collins used tonight? And I assume he was on the phone to his wife? :rolleyes:

City to of the league, 3 points clear. Crisis club? Your having a f*cking laugh.

Oh, and George had a blinder :D:):) MOTM

seansouth wrote:
    Ah come off it. Before this game we were top of the league. We got to the Setanta Cup final.

We have EIGHT injuries.

on goal difference , and There has seemed to be so much infighting at Cork that its amazing they're top (although that seems to go when they do well) , but im not just talking about results , Shels performances havent been the best this season and im just a little worried they won't have another good European run .

gimmick wrote:
    Maybe another would have red-carded Roy O Donovan for his lungle at Heary.
    It was that very lunge that led to the first goal. It came down Heary's side, and he couldn't make the tackle because he was injured.
    gimmick wrote:
    City to of the league, 3 points clear. Crisis club? Your having a f*cking laugh.
    Well done on that, but there is still anothet two-thirds of the season to go.

Reckon ye can win the league by nine points?

^^ City are very capable of winning the league, by how many points is irrelevant.

As for O Donovans lunge, well what can i say, these things happen. I remember last season Heary absolutely flattening Liam Kearney, Kearney getting booked for dissent at the fact that Heary wasnt booked, and from the resultant throw-in, Stuey Byrne cracked home the winner into the Shed End.

Ive no doubt that this campaign will come down to the very last game, and the next 2 City Vs Shels games will be huge. Shels' record in the Cross is very good in recent years :(

• Advertisement

Fair enough about the goal and all that, I wasn't giving out. I'm not about to rain on your parade.

I reckon the league will be decided against the other teams in the league, and not on the Shels/Cork ones ( at least I hope so :D ), and a lot will rest on how each team copes with the European games they have to play. I think our big squad will come into it's own then, especially if Cork lose players to England. I wonder will either club go for Pat McCourt in the transfer window, he's the best player in the league who doesn't play for either club, imo.

We need to drop Jason Byrne, three games ago. He hasn't been on anything like the form he was in the last two seasons. Glen Crowe needs to start games. I cannot see why he was bought in if he's only going to get 15 minutes every game.

seansouth wrote:

We need to drop Jason Byrne,

Didnt Crowe attempt to do that in the dressing room the other night?? :p
    seansouth wrote:
    We need to drop Jason Byrne, three games ago. He hasn't been on anything like the form he was in the last two seasons.

If he were in form he would have scored in the 4th minute when one on one with Devine. After that he did absolutly nothing, papart from giving away foul after foul. I was very disappointed when he was subbed.

Its brilliant to beat Shels. George O'Callaghan must be going for the record of most MOTM's in a season. He was excellent.

What a cross from Fenn and a finish from Roy. How mant nutmegs was that Roy? I think George and Roy were having a competition. :D

Fair play Setanta. Excellent coverage. Pity the Dublin public are a pack of ****ing west brits(no offence the true Shels fans)

Givens advised Kevin Doyle to go to Reading :mad: Langer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

seansouth wrote:
    It was that very lunge that led to the first goal. It came down Heary's side, and he couldn't make the tackle because he was injured.

There was a big call from the us sat in the Old Stand for offside on that goal as well, can anyone who watched on TV clarify? Lineo got awful stick from then on in... :D

Thought the ref could have done better, Hawkins booked in the 5th minute of the 2nd half for pulling a Cork player back, then he lets the same go with just a free kick 10 minutes later down the other end. :rolleyes:

Shels can have no complaints though, totally ineffectual performance, injuries or not. We weren't helped by the injury to Bobby Ryan, and the GBH on Heary ( ;) ), but Jason Byrne was woeful, and our midfield was nowhere to be seen.

Oh, there was more than 1500 at the match, I'd say closed to 2500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I thought we had a good game, but again, had NOTHING in the final third.

The first goal was offside, but Willo didn't even move. But at least it'll shut those cúnts up about the dubious linesman, it's all even now.

Was delighted to see 4-4-2 return, though Nutsy'll prob revert to 4-5-1 after we failed to get even a point tonight.

The own goal was just comical. No more can be said. I was torn between raging like a demon and laughing out loud. In the end I did a muffled bit of both while I ate my shoe.

Ndo was exceptional again, sometimes gave the ball away sloppily, but worked hard to retrieve it again. Impressed me (if anything, that game may teach him he's not in the U21's anymore and to focus more on the passes he's playing than the showboating, but still, best player on the pitch for us tonight). But great performance from him, on the left side and all!!

We sorely missed Rogers and Heary when they went off, they were 2 big players to lose. Brennan was thrown in at the deep end again, and Stuey at left back? You're havin' a laugh.

Jason, what can I say, moaning all night again, at least Gary O'Neill ran himself into the ground for us tonight. He seemed really motivated and played very well IMO, but lack of match fitness got the better of him I think, but the more he plays the better he'll get.

Was surprised to not see Moore have any part in the game? Was he injured?

Hopefully we'll play 4-4-2 with O'Neill/Crowe partnership in Belfield on Friday, if I see a 4-5-1 OR Jason Byrne I'll scream. [Sorry, maybe I'm being harsh, but he hasn't seemed interested this year. Maybe it's his confidence, and we all know he's great, but UCD should be the perfect game to try out a different front two].

In all, not a terrible all round performance. We had alot of the ball, but failed to do anything of note in the final third, which is quite depressing, and the two goals to give away were ridiculous.

Brennan played Fenn onside. It was close, but at least level. The shels players didnt even appeal for offide. The camera showed it was NOT offside.

• Advertisement

Oh, there was more than 1500 at the match, I'd say closed to 2500.
    1660 was a text I got from someone working the turnstiles in Tolka tonight.

Jesus man, where did you get 2.5k from?

The new stand only holds 900, when it's full(which it wasn't), the Richmond Rd stand wasn't full, and about, what, 60-70 Cork people?

Ndo was class tonight. Himself and O'Callaghan were like 2 peococks on the Savanna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

seansouth wrote:

Jesus man, where did you get 2.5k from?

The new stand only holds 900, when it's full(which it wasn't), the Richmond Rd stand wasn't full, and about, what, 60-70 Cork people?

Couldn't see down the far end of the Richmond (couldn't be ar*ed looking), plus I'm sh*te at guessing numbers... :D

Ndo was class tonight. Himself and O'Callaghan were like 2 peococks on the Savanna.
    :D

Fair play to you, excellent post.

Joey Ndo is a great player alright. 26 caps for the Cameroon you know. Once he is back to full and complete match fitness he will be a revelation. I still think he has more games for Pats than Shels in the eL at this stage.

seansouth wrote:

Making it by far our worst ground of the season for our biggest home match. I hate Monday matches :mad:

Ndo is class, but Shels had nothing in the final third. Give Byrne a rest, he's well off the boil atm, get Crowe in and all of the crosses we put in the box would have yielded some return. I don't really think we played that bad, one or two off form players let us down and Cork were superb.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So who is on top of the league folks.....lol hopefully the other 2/3 of the season will just be as good for Cork City.

They have the players for the league campaign if the key men can remain injury free then they will be very hard to beat. Need to keep winning games now though and try and open up a bit of a gap

the simple fact is that we have more injuries than liverpool , we were also unlucky with the second ping pong goal. A very bad day at the office for Nutsy but at least it was 442 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

good result, not a huge cork football fan before, support them in anything though. NOw there top of the league i think its perfect timing to jump on the bandwagon.

good result, not a huge cork football fan before, support them in anything though. NOw there top of the league i think its perfect timing to jump on the bandwagon.

:eek:

Enjoy it while it last Chucky cos you will be knocked off pretty soon ;)

the simple fact is that we have more injuries than liverpool , we were also unlucky with the second ping pong goal. A very bad day at the office for Nutsy but at least it was 442 again.

But you have a bigger squad then them :)

Was gonna post about crowd, looked bad was it cos it was monday night?
    Being on TV defintley didnt help.

kdjac

Worst crowd of the season by a good 500 people or so, monday night was a bigger factor than TV I think, it's always the same on mondays.

There should have been at least 3000 people at that match yesterday. The league has come so far in some ways but to see that crowd was depressing.

i blame the Dublin public rather than Shels fans.

I blame Monday nights

Monday Night Football on ABC was the most popular TV show in America.

• Advertisement
Advertisement