Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade help

Options
  • 28-05-2005 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

At the mo i have
    Amd 64 754 3000+ with zallman 7000cu
    Msi neo platitinum
    512mb muskin level one
    128mb 9800pro with a GPU Cooler Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer
    foxconn 400watt powersupply
    HDD IDE 160GB Samsung SP1614N 8MB
    i've had it since last july and its just a bit slow for my liking. Rome total war isnt fast enough and my hard drive is full.

i need to change my psu, because every time i try to overclock my cpu
    it shuts down and its not able to handle my tv tuner. Im not really sure which one to get but i was thinking about this one.
    Chill 400w

I think i will need more memory. 1 or 2 sticks of muskin level one pc3200 should i get another 512mb duel cahnnel or 1ghz duel channel or would this be overkill

A new case cause mines bloodly heavy 20kg Diabolicand because im going to uni next yr so i was thinkin probably Mercury

2x 160gb samsung 160gb sata for raid 1. Because my hard drive is full.
    Does raid 1 make big leaps in speed or is it a bit overated?

And finally a headset for midnight gaming Trust 5.1

Any help or alternative suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

There is a great FAQ on headsets here.
    If its for gaming sennheiser are supposed to be the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

RAID 0 is for speed, RAID 1 is mirroring for data security. For some things it will be much much faster using RAID 0, other times not much of a difference.

Would you not be as well off buying all of that from komplett? Theyre the same price and shipping wont cost you any limbs.

As for the PSU id say get a fortron or some more reputable brand. Never heard of the one on jez

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

These are excelent 5.1 headphone. There's a usb and traditional stereo jack plugs.
    I have the non-usb one. It has a little amplifier box you plug the headset in.
    If you have 5.1 surround sound you can run cables from the amp box to the speakers.

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Regards power supplys the OCZ powerstreams are supposed to be bitchin, Fortron is a very safe bet also

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭r00t69

RAID 0 is for speed, RAID 1 is mirroring for data security. For some things it will be much much faster using RAID 0, other times not much of a difference.

Would you not be as well off buying all of that from komplett? Theyre the same price and shipping wont cost you any limbs.

As for the PSU id say get a fortron or some more reputable brand. Never heard of the one on jez

Not quite correct on RAID. One thing RAID1 offers is superb read times as it can pull information from both sides of the mirror. The reality is there is very little realworld performance difference between RAID0,1 or 5 at a Dekstop level. Although there is a big improvement moving from single disk to RAID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

Which would be better value
    just one extra 512mb stick of ram (I presume i cant have them on dual
    channel because they are not twined) the extra disk i have myself.
    Or twined 2x 512mb + the extra disk i have myself.

Can you have "thrual" channel memory i.e. with three sticks

I'm confusing myself just typing this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Beno wrote:
    Can you have "thrual" channel memory i.e. with three sticks

I'm confusing myself just typing this

NO, only dual channel which is two sticks of memory( same model, size, etc)

Advertisement