Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England team to play USA

• 28-05-2005 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

England: James,
    Glen Johnson, Brown, Campbell, Ashley Cole
    Joe Cole, Carrick, Jenas, Richardson,
    Andrew Johnson, Smith.

Subs: Young, Green, Neville, Knight, Defoe, Crouch, Carson.

English 2nd string still better on paper than our 1st 11 :(

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Whats the USA team?

Soccernet havnt got it....

1-0 Richardson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1-0 Richardson free kick 25 yards goal strike multiball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA: Keller,
    Cherundolo, Gibbs, Pope, Vanney, Ralston,
    Zavagnin, Dempsey,
    Donovan,
    McBride, Wolff.

Subs: Hahnemann, Berhalter, Bocanegra, Spector, Casey, Convey, Simms.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So happy to see Richardson score.
    This guy is gona be great, Fergie has to take notice of him now! The papers will go nuts about him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What about Adu? Is he still on the u21's??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    So happy to see Richardson score.
    This guy is gona be great, Fergie has to take notice of him now! The papers will go nuts about him :)

He's playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-0 Richardson again.

kdjac

Booyeah :)
    G'wan Richardson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cheesedude wrote:
    What about Adu? Is he still on the u21's??
    is Adu player for the seniors yet

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Richardson is playing a cracker, he's tracking back and running down the ball when the US have possesion. Cole's working well on the right as well, Calamity James :p could yet let the US back in it though

Damn folks cancelled Sky Sports cos i'm gona for the summer!!!!! Would have loved to watch this game!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cheesedude wrote:
    Damn folks cancelled Sky Sports cos i'm gona for the summer!!!!! Would have loved to watch this game!!!
    BBC have the highlights at 11:40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Man Utd better bring Richardson back from WBA.

Gowon Kieran :cool:

Tauren wrote:
    BBC have the highlights at 11:40.

Awesome. thanks man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

andyman wrote:
    Man Utd better bring Richardson back from WBA.

Gowon Kieran :cool:

i'd like to see him spend at least the first half of the season at United next season, and then head back out on loan if he doesn't look to be getting in the team. He has improved so much in his time at WBA, i would not be unhappy to see him continue his spell there.

Hopefully fergie will give him a chance though, he could be no worse then that waster giggs.

I think it was Brian Robson that made him the player he is now.

Well done Robbo you've got a great sense of finding amazing talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't believe Sven. He really thinks England have qualified for the WC already (changing the FA cup schedule and all that). He said after the match the Richardson will be considered for his World Cup squad. Jesus I'd pay hundreds to see Wales and Poland beat England and them to get knocked out in the playoffs. :)

Suprised this thread has so many replies btw. There was hardly that amount for the most recent Ireland game. :) Up the Columbians on Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get a life eirebhoy!

The Columbia game is BBC1 live Tuesday at 9pm

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

eirebhoy wrote:
    I can't believe Sven. He really thinks England have qualified for the WC already (changing the FA cup schedule and all that). He said after the match the Richardson will be considered for his World Cup squad. Jesus I'd pay hundreds to see Wales and Poland beat England and them to get knocked out in the playoffs. :)

Suprised this thread has so many replies btw. There was hardly that amount for the most recent Ireland game. :) Up the Columbians on Tuesday!

They are top of their group on 16pts with Wales (a) win, NI (a) win, Aust (h) draw at worst, and Pol (h) draw at worst

So if I were them I'd be pretty confident of getting through too. And the change to the schedule will suit Ireland (if we get through, from reading this board the chances of that happening seem to change by the day) as much as it will suit England.

Up the English on Tuesday !!

mike65 wrote:
    Get a life eirebhoy!

The Columbia game is BBC1 live Tuesday at 9pm

Mike.

Well said Mike, here, here

I can't stand complacency and Sven has it in abundance. He really does think he's qualified already. I also can't stand England and wish they'd lose every game. There's something about this site though that being anti-English (in football terms) is frowned upon (a complete contrast to real life). The Scottish, Welsh and Irish love Engand to fail in football and I love it more than most (my mother is the same ffs). :)

por - if you think England have the win in the millennium stadium rapped up already you have another thing coming.

And Mike - I know you don't like to admit it but I'm pretty sure you're happy to see the Irish lose. :)

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    por - if you think England have the win in the millennium stadium rapped up already you have another thing coming.

Wales are the most overrated team of the last number of years, they had a good start to their Euro 2004 (beating both Italy and Finland in Sept 2002) campaign and have done f**k all since.

Actually here is how little they have done in competitive games

Team P W D L
    AZERBAIJAN 3 2 1 0
    Serbia 2 0 0 2
    Italy 1 0 0 1
    Finland 1 0 1 0
    Russia 2 1 1
    NI 1 0 1 0
    England 1 0 0 1
    Poland 1 0 0 1
    Austria 1 0 0 1

That's 2 wins in 13 games, both against AZERBAIJAN

I'd be putting my money on England in this one

It would be funny if England got eliminated. Sven gets on my nerves when hes cocky.

Not half as bad as Mourinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

England - who cares !

But I will be supporting Columbia on Tuesday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Eirebhoy, I was about to let your questionable comments go until you posted this…
    There's something about this site though that being anti-English (in football terms) is frowned upon (a complete contrast to real life).

Are you saying that’s unreasonable? Dissappointing, perhaps? Do you feel it’d be a good & healthy thing if this site (and Irish punters in general) were a little more anti-English/British?

I don't know your circumstances in life but I personally don't encourage or tolerate any form of xenophobia either on boards or out in the real world for England/Britian or any other country and I’d be hesitant to continue posting here if I found attitudes such as yours were spreading on boards.

Your comments a couple of weeks ago about Linfield having a large element of thugs seemed harsh esp when you consider when they visited both Derry and Shels this season it was locals who caused trouble! Now you’re banging on about England and it all goes to suggest to me that you have some kind of unreasoned anti-Loyalist chip on your shoulder which I guess is your wont but it seems a pretty out of date attitude for these times imho.

Bottom line is I hope Ireland win the WC next year but if we don't I'd sooner cheer on England (a country who's football infrastructure actually faciliates us even having a quality international side to begin with) rather than some other country who’s players and football culture I have minimal knowledge of.

I really must be living in a different country as the vast majority of the people I meet are anti-English when it comes to football. As I said, this website is a complete contrast to real life. The Irish soccer forums on soccercentral, foot.ie, bigsoccer are all mainly anti-English in football.

Sometimes you can't pick and choose who you support or hate. I was brought up to be anti-English in sports and events. As have most of the people I know. You could go into most of the pubs in Dublin, Cork or Limerick and the majority would be cheering on England's opposition. People on boards live under rocks I suppose though. Its frowned upon on boards but I am in the absolute majority in the real world (whether you, me or anyone likes it or not).

I can't think of the reason. It probably runs back generations but its in the heart, not the head, and I can't change that.

BTW - I made no secret about what I've said. As I say, when you are born in Ireland you're born to support your country and England's opposition. Not the case on this site though. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    I really must be living in a different country as the vast majority of the people I meet are anti-English when it comes to football. As I said, this website is a complete contrast to real life. The Irish soccer forums on soccercentral, foot.ie, bigsoccer are all mainly anti-English in football.

Sometimes you can't pick and choose who you support or hate. I was brought up to be anti-English in sports and events. As have most of the people I know. You could go into most of the pubs in Dublin, Cork or Limerick and the majority would be cheering on England's opposition. People on boards live under rocks I suppose though. Its frowned upon on boards but I am in the absolute majority in the real world (whether you, me or anyone likes it or not).

I can't think of the reason. It probably runs back generations but its in the heart, not the head, and I can't change that.

I dont think this board is any different from the real world, If you went into enough pubs and asked enough people I am sure you would get the same percentage 'not hating' England as you get here.
    I just think it's pathetic that people will support anyone in any sport as long as it's not England, or am I just mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You could go into most of the pubs in Dublin, Cork or Limerick and the majority would be cheering on England's opposition

Thats proberly true - and it also reflects the mob mentality of a pub crowd. Imagine being the first to go against the grain.

Mike.

I had great fun being the lone England fan in a pub when they were playing Portugal :)
    I have no anti-English thing going on since the majority of the players in the English team are players I support week in week out

If Ireland do not win the world cup, I would want Brazil to win!

I would not like England to win it not because of the footballers whom I idolise and adore but because of the media and the fans!!!

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    I would not like England to win it not because of the footballers whom I idolise and adore but because of the media and the fans!!!

Their media is no different from any other media it's just that we Irsih take too much heed of it and always view it with the 'Oh they go on and on and on about how good they are' attitude.

Well I would still prefer Brazil to win it then. They are the best nation in the world anyway. I'll be cheering them on by far as my second team with a big "RONALDINHO 10" on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

SGE said he was bringing an inexperienced squad with him so why won't he try out Green and Carson instead of flapper James. It's really annoying me now that he's not giving Green his chance to see how he copes at International level. James should be dropped from the highest level of the empire state building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

But it won't stop me supporting england ahead of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

kensutz wrote:
    SGE said he was bringing an inexperienced squad with him so why won't he try out Green and Carson instead of flapper James. It's really annoying me now that he's not giving Green his chance to see how he copes at International level. James should be dropped from the highest level of the empire state building.
    While I agree with you that he should be looking into other options as James only has a couple of years left and is no longer even first choice, he has been outstanding this year in the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cheesedude wrote:
    If Ireland do not win the world cup, I would want Brazil to win!

same as me, i never want england to win anything, ever, in any sport. And its all down to their fans.

• Advertisement

por wrote:
    I just think it's pathetic that people will support anyone in any sport as long as it's not England, or am I just mature.
    I would call my father's attitude pathetic. I'll give you an example. I was sitting in the house and my 3 year old niece was saying "C'mon Ireland" while there was a match on. Someone told her to say "C'mon England" and my father told her not to say that. He lived in Liverpool for over 20 years, his sisters kids are all born and bread in England. Its just in him to want England to fail (brought down from his father I presume).

The difference between me and him is that I won't be telling my kids to be anti-English but I will be making sure that Ireland comes first when supporting football. They'll probably see me cheering on England's opposition and they'll do the same though. I wouldn't put it on par with cursing in front of them though as I don't see whats wrong with being anti-English in sports and events.

And there is no way you'd get 50% of the Irish population (over 18 say) that would support England in football. Nowhere near that figure.

Telling me my attitude is pathetic and to stop supporting England's opposition is like telling me to stop supporting Celtic. Its in me now and probably will be for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ABE here as well (and almost every single person I know apart from some English guys!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

same as me, i never want england to win anything, ever, in any sport. And its all down to their fans.
    My mother is English, and holds the same view. She's been living here for 23ish years, and is always up for the Irish, and generally Englands opponents. Becuase of the scumbags and hooligans, and wants nothing to do with them or what they stand for.

Advertisement