Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Speakers

Options
  • 28-05-2005 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting a nice set of speakers to go with my nice new sound card i'm getting.

I was looking at these ones and had a few questions

1)Are they actually any good
    2)Are the satalite speakers light because they are being mounted on a dryline wall which cannot support much weight at all
    3)Will i have to put them an exact distance apart or will the sound card compensate for distance
    4)Will this mean i have to have wires running across the floor to have them behind me

Thanks in advance, all comments welcom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

1)Are they actually any good = Don't know.

2)Are the satalite speakers light because they are being mounted on a dryline wall which cannot support much weight at all = Find the Timbers in the wall, mount them to that.
    3)Will i have to put them an exact distance apart or will the sound card compensate for distance = Normally you can adjust the "Virtual Positions"

4)Will this mean i have to have wires running across the floor to have them behind me = What? The rear speakers need to be behind you, for full effect, run the cable along the wall.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

If the rear ones are not behind you does it not sort of negate the effect of "SOURROUND" sound.

Yes.... That's why I said put them behind you.

John

I know to mount them on the wall but i doubt the cable is long enough to run around the room to the wall behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If it turns out the cable isnt long enough just get an extension.... Not rocket science. I have Logitech Z-530s and the cables arent very long at all, but they are standard RCA connectors so they can easily be extended.

It's only a 70watt system so don't expect wonders. You definitely wont be keeping the neighbours awake at night with them anyway.

• Advertisement

Can any one reccomend a set then what about the Logitech Z-5300 For about €170 on Komplett

Ah they wouldnt be bad by any means, theyd be grand for the price. I was just warning you not to expect them to be really loud. The Z-5300s are what I have and they're excellent!

Those bad boys are so powerful that theres a big heatsink on the back of the woofer for the amp :p

would i be able to get a long enough extension, the rear ones needs to be about 25ft to go around the wall above the skirting board

What would some sort of wireless solution cost? A lot? Don't say a lot? It's a lot isn't it.

You'd need to buy special wireless speakers with batteries in them then. Wireless isn't even nearly an option...

I'm sure you could get cables as long as you wanted, but 25 foot??? How big is the room they're goign in??? You may end up having to buy a reel of cable and put on your own connectors on them or something for such an unusual length of cable

Get wire.... cost about £3.00, if you make the cable yourself.

John

• Advertisement

The room is about 16X8ft but to have speakers behind me i'll have to run the wires around the room cos the pc is half-way down one of the long walls facing the other.

Looks like youll be making the wires yourself then. It'd easily be worth it for a nice surround system.

Is it hard to make them myself. I've not heard of anyone having to do this and it seems that everyone else has their wires all neat and tidy away

Be easy, call into a music shop and ask for mini jack connections and some cable.... A decent shop should have them.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

You can get a very thin flat type of cable for jobs like this I believe. The idea being that the flat cable can then be tucked under or behind skirting boards or under carpets etc. Would be a tidier job. This is the kind of stuff I mean though to be honest I don't know where you might get it in Ireland.

Lump wrote:
    Be easy, call into a music shop and ask for mini jack connections and some cable.... A decent shop should have them.

John

Do i've to cut bits off and strip back wire and all that

Yep, you will have to cut it and strip it back and all that. Very easy stuff to do though. Have you looked around to find out how long the cables that come iwth the speaker sets that you want are? The z-5300 will definitely need longer cables.

Ant reccomendations for a set with really long wires

Surely you wouldnt drop 100 - 200 euro on a set of speakers on the basis of the length of the wires that they come with ?

You'd might as well just get a good 2.1 system if you cant be bothered wiring up the 5.1

no but there might be a good set for reasonable money similar to the ones i was goint to buy but with longer wires. Is there any good guides on how to wore a 5.1 system cos i don't want to feck this up

• Advertisement

Youd only need to extend the cables that came with whatever set you got. Something like this:

1. Put the speakers where you want them around the room.
    2. Buy cables + connectors if the cables arent long enough.
    3. Cut the lengths of wire that you need.
    4. Put connectors on them
    5. Hook it all up, eg yellow connector in the yellow connector ;)
    6. ????????
    7. Profit!

Right so thanks for all the help i'll do that more than likely. Straight choice:The X-530 or The Z-5300

Z-5300s of course! Theyre 4 times more powerful and THX certified for bragging rights...

Cooladh Booladh.

Advertisement