Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the point of Homebond?...

Options
  • 28-05-2005 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Seriously, because I rang them to ask if faults I have found in a house my fiancée and I are about to buy (built by Glenrue Ltd) are covered, as its 4 years old with a 10 year Homebond guarantee, were covered... they said no. They told me that if the roof starts leaking after 2 years, tough. Then, praytell, what is the God damn point of having Homebond in the first place if there is no warranty against dodgy construction, unless the bloddy walls fall down???

And they are serious faults too - I can see us pulling out if the vendors don't co-operate, as I won't be buying a house with a peeling away kitchen ceiling due to bad joists, among other faults.

Actually, can anyone tell me if builders bother to construct anything decent and NOT take shortcuts when building a house? It pissin' me off that every house I have ever looked at, there are bad shortcuts everywhere because builders are so friggin' lazy...

:mad:
    Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Seanie M wrote:
    what is the God damn point of having Homebond in the first place if there is no warranty against dodgy construction, unless the bloddy walls fall down???
    :mad:
    Seanie.

Long held the opinion that this is about the only thing Homebond is good for. People have far too much faith in it without realising it has very serious limitations. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Agreed. Thats why I have been looking into it. I have also found that no aspect of the central heating is covered either... this is lame...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Unfortunately when people hear builders quoting the magical word " Homebond ", they think all is rosy, this is often not the case.

Most do not investigate further on the benefits ( or not ) of homebond.
    Fair play to your good sense , in your surveying and further enquiries about guarantees and warranties ect.

If more people were as diligent in their early endeavours of house buying, it might force the build quality up a few notches.

If you dont have the professional input, and moral integrity of your chosen contractor, then Homebond means diddley squat.

Top marks for your diligence, Seanie M

kadman :)

Thanks Kadman! I just hope it pays off somewhat!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

no point other than a profit exercise and a marketing scam. we all have to make a living ;)

• Advertisement

That probably IS the reason for Homebond lomb...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Seanie M wrote:
    That probably IS the reason for Homebond lomb...

i know it is, its human nature to need reassurance. and homebond give it, but its just the appearance of reassurance. in fairness though they will sort out the house if its subsiding, but then again so will house insurance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement