Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Joke

Options
  • 28-05-2005 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Anyone listen to this band? Just after some recommendations, which records to check out first etc. I heard their live show is pretty good and that Dave Grohl did drums for an album of theirs. That's about as far as my Killing Joke knowledge goes. Enlighten me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They've been on the go for about 20-25 years. Their first album is excellent and then they went a bit ropey (the lead singer went a touch mad and thought the apocalypse was imminent, he was wrong and the band reformed). Their new album (with Dave Grohl) is supposed to be a return to form but I haven't heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

John2 wrote:
    They've been on the go for about 20-25 years. Their first album is excellent and then they went a bit ropey (the lead singer went a touch mad and thought the apocalypse was imminent, he was wrong and the band reformed). Their new album (with Dave Grohl) is supposed to be a return to form but I haven't heard it.

Could you compare their sound to any other bands? HMV have a few of their albums for a decent enough price so I'll probably give them a go anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Didn't Nirvana nick the 'Come as you Are' riff from Killing Joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah they did. Sound wise they're kind of like Bauhaus but a bit more metally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Ahh yes. Saw them a while back in the TBMC. Not really my thing but they put on a good live show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Like John said, their first album is very nice, but from what I've heard their other stuff isn't great. But whatever else about them they have got one of the best album titles ever to their name: 'Laugh? I Nearly Bought One!'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Im seeing them live next month. They're supporting Motley Crue.

My favourite songs (I havent heard that many to be honest though)
    Eighties (With the come as you areesque riff)
    Labyrinth
    Love Like Blood.

They a lot like The Cure mixed with Motley Crue, mixed with Duran Duran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Blisterman wrote:
    Im seeing them live next month. They're supporting Motley Crue.

My favourite songs (I havent heard that many to be honest though)
    Eighties (With the come as you areesque riff)
    Labyrinth
    Love Like Blood.

They a lot like The Cure mixed with Motley Crue, mixed with Duran Duran.

Must check out those songs, sounds like they've got a good mix of styles. You're damn lucky getting to see Motley Crue...

Advertisement