Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Guide]How to record in Game footage and convert to Xvid

Options
  • 28-05-2005 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Things you need

Decent PC
    Taksi in game recording software
    VirtualDub Video Editing software
    Note: both these programs run freely ie dont need to be installed.

Taksi Capture Footage
    1st off set up Taksi like this.
    taksi1.JPG
    Changing Video to F9 it defaults to Scroll Lock which didnt work for me.

Load game little Box will appear on top right of screen hit F9 to start recording box will turn red (pc will possibly stutter slightly) F9 again to stop.

VirtualDub encode the video
    When done exit game and open VirtualDub and load AVI From whereever taksi saves to).
    Vd1.JPG

To do one movie of one goal simply go to 1.Video Compression scroll to 2.Xvid and hit 3.OK
    vd2.JPG

Then in VirtualDub File menu click save to AVI and name the file.
    Your result will be something like this: Example

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Nice one. Does it save sound too, or am I missing a codec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No Audio implentation in Taksi yet its on their to do list.
    Compared to Fraps and gamecam its a lot better (they both do sound tho).

Using VirtualDub you can Overlay a WAV audio file to get an effect like the one below. Go to Audio in drop down list and Browse to your WAV file.

25mb Avi with overlayed Audio

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There are plenty of programs for recording the sound. I personally use avRack. It's small and easy to use. Then I use video vegas to sync the sound and video back up. Takes a matter of seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

audacity for the sound, that taksi, similar to fraps? if so then you should research first and see if the game in question has any built in features for footage extraction, ie startmovie in hl, cl_avidemo in q3, dumpframes in unreal etc, because you'd generally get better results that way

and like bloodbath said, vegas is very good for post editing, and then virtualdub for compressing

Advertisement