Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa GT opinions?

Options
  • 29-05-2005 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭

A mate is telling me he is looking the new GT? They look nice alright, any opinions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Nuttzz wrote:
    A mate is telling me he is looking the new GT? They look nice alright, any opinions appreciated

Yeah - lookswise its a beauty!!

Not so sure about the reliablity - perhaps this one will fool us all?

Now sit and wait for all the ALFA's drivers to post their messages saying their ALFA is bulletproof :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great looks, excellent drivers car. He should get the 1.9JTD 16V

And before anybody starts, yes we all know that a Toyota Corolla is more reliable than an Alfa GT :rolleyes:

unkel wrote:
    Great looks, excellent drivers car. He should get the 1.9JTD 16V

And before anybody starts, yes we all know that a Toyota Corolla is more reliable than an Alfa GT :rolleyes:

Hey the Corolla is as good looking as the ALFA GT and far more reliable :D

Oh there will be a few who think im serious! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well what can I say just look at it (pic taken on the day I collected it from the garage)
    I went for the 1.9JTD sportivo model (it comes with leather and a lot of other goodies) Has not given me any problems so far (3,000 miles) It does have an intermittent rattle from the tail gate area but its not that annoying. Lovely car to drive and handles like a go cart.
    The difficult thing is to keep this car within the speed limits. Requires careful parking as any dings in its flanks would ruin the beautiful curves.
    The 17' or 18' optional alloys are a must as the standard 16' alloys are crap.
    Mine does aroung 42mpg.

GT3.jpg

Dont get me wrong!!!!

Most of the ALFA's are tasty looking cars!!

AND THE ONE YOU GOT THERE IS SEXY

But its just the reputation of the Alfa's that scare me a lil.....was going to buy a 147 last year but chickened out.....lovely lookin car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how much did it cost alfasudcrazy? and whats the power like from the 1.9 diesel?

It cost me 42,400 euros - which included 900 extra for the optional alloys and about 500 for the metallic paint (these are essential options IMO) The leather seats / cd changer etc comes as standard on the sportivo model.

The diesel is quite powerful (150bph) and on long journeys it is quite difficult to keep the car within speed limits. Regular use of the cruise control is required. Overtaking is effortless and interior noise is very low - however (listening from outside) it is quite a noisy engine when cold.
    The car has a 6 speed gearbox so is a smooth a quite long distance cruiser.

The only negatives on this car is that it is a difficult car to reverse due to restricted visibility (but you get used to it to some degree). The front of the car is quite low to the ground so you have to be careful with severe cambers or angles. Stone chipping can be a problem if the car is driven regularly at high speeds. :)

Here is another owners review of the GT :cool:

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_72767.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

LOVELY looking car, one of the nicest on the road I think. They make the likes of Audi-TT, BMW-3 look old.

However... a mate of mine had a 147 bought new and kept over a couple of years (two I think ? Maybe three - the car was out of warranty anyway). He did something like 5,000 miles per year. The car recently started to cut out at traffic lights, junctions etc, with error messages on its dashboard. It went into the dealer (the one near Chruchtown) about 5 times and they kept extracting money from him and trying this and that. In the end he traded it in... :mad:

Probably it was something relatively minor like a crank-angle-sensor, or O2-sensor or a loose vacuum pipe, or perhaps the Mass-Air-Flow meter (more and more common with a lot of cars these days). The dealer wasn't able to find the problem up until trade-in.

Not sure what that says about Alfas or their dealers, but I'd concentrate on the warranty statement.

I'm sure there are 100 happy Alfa owners for every one that has had a lemon-car...

A nice write up of the Gt from the car buyers guide

http://www.cbg.ie/article.asp?listMode=review&ID=678

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Cracking looking car,
    Drives beautifully,
    Pretty good boot, and rear seat space,

Based on driving the 1.9JTD in a 156 over the weekend, go for that engine, it is PEACHY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

ItThe only negatives on this car is that it is a difficult car to reverse due to restricted visibility (but you get used to it to some degree). The front of the car is quite low to the ground so you have to be careful with severe cambers or angles. Stone chipping can be a problem if the car is driven regularly at high speeds. :)

with hindsight, would you have got parking sensors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Wouldn't be mad about your choice of alloy there, abit wishy-washy 80's cloverleafy, I've seen a set of (possibly aftermarket) multi-spoke (oz-racing type) 18's on the GT and they looked the absolute business.

What drew my attention was that the car actually started first turn and then proceeded to drive away quite normally.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I love it and am green with envy. Definitely one of the nicest looking cars on the road. I had the Alfa 147 for about 2 years and loved it. Such a fun car to drive. Was full of problems though, lots of electrical problems and liked to run out of oil every couple of weeks. Although, I would gladly take one again or any other alfa for that matter regardless of any problems. The sheer pleasure of drive makes it worthwhile!
    In that price region I would without doubt go for the GT. Although I do like the RX8 too :rolleyes: Took one for a tease drive a few weeks ago and fell in love.

the 18"s are toora rims and are an option

not sure about your misinformed views on alfas however ;)

Nuttzz wrote:
    with hindsight, would you have got parking sensors?
    Absolutely - very necessary option I think - but the sensors spoil the smooth look of the car I thought - so I did not get them.
    528I wrote:
    Wouldn't be mad about your choice of alloy there, abit wishy-washy 80's cloverleafy, I've seen a set of (possibly aftermarket) multi-spoke (oz-racing type) 18's on the GT and they looked the absolute business.

What drew my attention was that the car actually started first turn and then proceeded to drive away quite normally.

LOL - My last two BMW's had spoked alloys which were an absolute pig to clean - so I went with those ones - actually they remind me of the wheels on the Lambo gallardo so thats not so bad.
    I have three Alfa's and also am amazed at why they are not blowing up and spewing oil out all over the place - touch wood so far so lucky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yeah wheels are lovely the campo lambo style are very very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

The GT is one the prettiest and most striking cars on the road without a doubt.
    The rear doesn't quite gel with the rest of the car though IMO; maybe it would look better if the rear lights cut into the boot lid or something like that (but who am I to argue with Bertone).

Recent alfas generally look better with hooped alloys but I think the spoked alloys suit the GT much better:

108.jpg
    109.jpg
    41805.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

I must be the only person who thinks this caris ugly. I really really hate the rear.

ugly :eek:

ive also had some people tell me they think my 156 is ugly, i dont get it,

i think the GT and the 156 are beautiful cars, i still turn to look at my 156 as i walk away sometimes :o

Paul (MN) wrote:
    I must be the only person who thinks this caris ugly. I really really hate the rear.

Oh My Golly Gosh,
    Really? I have never, ever, met anyone who thought it was ugly!!
    I have met some people who prefer the look of other cars, but UGLY??

Wow, ah well Horses for Courses I suppose. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Paul (MN) wrote:
    I'm not a big fan either. Too much bulk, tiny windows... :eek:

In fact a lot of Bertone creations fail to float my boat.

As beautiful as the GT is it will soon have to play second fiddle to the Brera:

italdesign_alfa_2.jpg
    italdesign_alfa_3.jpg

(I think Clarkson and Hammond took these to the loo for closer inspection!)

bmoferrall wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm,
    Woe Yeah, now we are talking :D:D:D:D

bmoferrall wrote:

italdesign_alfa_2.jpg
    italdesign_alfa_3.jpg

(I think Clarkson and Hammond took these to the loo for closer inspection!)

actually that's a pic of the concept brera - the production one is slightly different - see pics on link ;)

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/A/alfa-romeo/brera/brera_page_4.html

actually that's a pic of the concept brera - the production one is slightly different - see pics on link ;)

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/A/alfa-romeo/brera/brera_page_4.html

Oops...thanks.
    I was thinking I made a mistake as these pics looked too good to be true. Production version isn't a patch on the concept version - shame. Still looks v good - not sure about the wheels though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

bmoferrall wrote:
    Still looks v good - not sure about the wheels though
    Yeah those rims are awful.

Car looks cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Pity - they'd have had an SLK-killer with that concept

Advertisement