Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a pagan view

Options
  • 29-05-2005 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

I've practised magic for along time now since, i was about ten, i didn't start that young out of choice it was nesscity but thats unrelated. but recently a friend of mine gave me a few books on paganism one on general paganism (pagan paths very informative) and two others on wicca.
    And when I've needed to perform magic all i have to do is think about it summon up the power and then it is done, From what i've read there is alot of ritual involved when you cast spells and i'm just wondering if anyone has experimented with skipping the ritual component and just letting their mind do it?
    Just from what i've been reading some rituals and spells are made up to fit their purpose but to me it seems their more about focusing the mind at the task at hand.
    Emmet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Rothen

And when I've needed to perform magic all i have to do is think about it summon up the power and then it is done, From what i've read there is alot of ritual involved when you cast spells and i'm just wondering if anyone has experimented with skipping the ritual component and just letting their mind do it?
    Emmet

Ritual magic is, for the most part, called ceremonial magic, the brand you practice would most likely fall into the chaos brand. It all works the same, just different ways work for different people.

And sometimes a lot of it is just for show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Rothen wrote:
    Ritual magic is, for the most part, called ceremonial magic
    The majority folk magic is based around ritual, quite different ritual to that in ceremonial magic, but ritual none the less.

I'd say "skipping" ritual is probably a good thing for people that rely on on ritual to try and doing rituals is probably a good thing for people that normally don't to try too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

Ritual as you said is largely to focus the mind. But it is also a way to raise energy that you are going to use in spellwork. For those who practise chaos magick this isn't a neccessary step, but for others it is quite useful. For myself I've found that as I've gotten more experienced I've needed to use ritual less and less to get effective results. However some times it's nice to have ritual just for comfort's sake.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 faecircle

Absolutely. I sometimes just sit and think about something willing it to happen and it works (sometimes). However ritual can give a spell a great deal of extra oomph which is needed if it is something important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I've been reading a bit more (dangerous) and i've come to the conclusion that ritual is just to focus the mind and also the emotions. I find in the rare times that i do magic i need my emotions to be as focused as my mind. Do people agree with that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement