Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

windows media center os

• 29-05-2005 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

anyone have this? whats it like , only ever delt with standard os 95/98/me/2000/xp blah blah

only reason im asking im considering in building a media center pc , but wondering if i should just stick with bog standard xp?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dunco

hi
    go to PC world they have lots of PC's with Windows media center
    You can play with them in the shop and see do you like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

From what i've heard it's meant to be the business. Have a read of this. I'm hoping to get it during the summer when I get a decent tuner card. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=208020 . It's the same as XP until you turn on the Media Centre bit of things. As far as I know if you really don't like it, you can choose not to launch it on startup or choose not to install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

As far as I know if you really don't like it, you can choose not to launch it on startup or choose not to install it.
    Correct-ish. You can choose not to start it up - but afaik you have to install it. Plus there would be no point paying the extra money for it if you just wanted 'normal' XP.

I have it and it rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I have it and it rocks.

What's it do?

What's it do?
    Try reading the linked thread or googling. Then post any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

magick wrote:
    anyone have this? whats it like , only ever delt with standard os 95/98/me/2000/xp blah blah

only reason im asking im considering in building a media center pc , but wondering if i should just stick with bog standard xp?
    If your building the PC yourself you may have a problem... Media Centre OS can not be bought on its own and in only available on specific PCs. AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Try reading this thread or googling ye lazy fecker. Then post any questions.

Lol :D

beller b wrote:
    If your building the PC yourself you may have a problem... Media Centre OS can not be bought on its own and in only available on specific PCs. AFAIK
    Technically you are correct - in reality you're wrong. It can be got from Ebay and from several UK mail order places. Try one of the overclockers uk sites. I got mine from Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

would they be genuine copies or cracked versions?

Mine was genuine - if you are that worried get the remote at the same time from the same seller. Its pretty hard to fake the remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Give Media Portal a look before you buy Microsoft Media Ceneter. It's free and it does a lot of what MC does.

tom dunne wrote:
    Give Media Portal a look before you buy Microsoft Media Ceneter. It's free and it does a lot of what MC does.
    Looks good - it looks like doesnt have the 1 big flaw of MCE - it supports different capture cards/tuners simultaneously. Tom can you confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

According to this, it can support multiple tuners at the same time, though it isn't clear whether they have to be the same type.

I am sure a trawl through the forums on the website would answer your question.

Advertisement