Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childish Text-speak

Options
  • 29-05-2005 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Perhaps text speak should be a bannable offence if it is used in rediculas excess. Not if someone throws in the odd u instead of you. It's jusy that we have full keyboards people.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

4Xcut wrote:
    Perhaps text speak should be a bannable offence if it is used in rediculas excess. Not if someone throws in the odd u instead of you. It's jusy that we have full keyboards people.

rediculas and jusy should be banned also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I am MAN wrote:
    rediculas and jusy should be banned also

now now no need to get catty!! you knew what he meant, the odd typo is fine... it's the stoopid text speak which is annoying...

Well if you're going to complain about typing don't spell words wrong..

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

that should be

Well, if you are going to complain about typing, dont spell words wrong.

If you are going to complain about someone's spelling, then use propper punctuation.

Now as for text speak I believe that it should be a matter for the moderators of each forum to decide on wether or not to allow text speak. Some forums are less serious than others therefore text speak wouldnt be that big of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Instant castration for textspeak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I am MAN wrote:
    Well if you're going complain about typing don't spell words wrong..

and if youre going to complain about something, perhaps you might want to add in some solutions, instead of whinging about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Maybe not a banning, but a warning from a mod on the thread? I'm sure most of them are only kiddies anyway, probably terrified at any kind of hint of authority. Maybe someone could make a default PM detailing how annoying txtspk and meaningless exclamation marks are for other readers to go through. When someone starts txtspking, we can mass [strike]spam[/strike] mail their inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Isn't it just fantastic how when someone corrects spelling or grammar, they never fail to make a mistake themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

that should be

Well, if you are going to complain about typing, dont spell words wrong.

Do the commas need to be there? Actually NEED to be there, as opposed to being used for effect. Took me a friggin' age to realise what "tbh" meant....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Why not just learn it?

I don't use it myself (especially as most phones now accept long messages) but it would seem that there is strong opposition to txtspk not because it's the devils work but rather but because the 25+ yo "not in my day" contingent on boards are incapable of learning to read it - and it's their own incapacity that annoys them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

kasintahan wrote:
    Why not just learn it?

I don't use it myself (especially as most phones now accept long messages) but it would seem that there is strong opposition to txtspk not because it's the devils work but rather but because the 25+ yo "not in my day" contingent on boards are incapable of learning to read it - and it's their own incapacity that annoys them.

Not exactly. I'm 17 and really can't be bothered reading txt-speak. Not only is it incredibly irritating, but sometimes it's just downright indiscernible. Down with txt-speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

kasintahan wrote:
    Why not just learn it?

I know what most of it means (i'm 24), but it looks stupid, makes the poster look like an uneducated moron, and oh! Most of the people who post in txtspk on boards.ie *are* stupid, uneducated idiots.

and if youre going to complain about something, perhaps you might want to add in some solutions, instead of whinging about it?

Well it's obvious what the solution is - Don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It just takes longer to read a thread and can get confusing sometimes! and you end up having to read it a few times to understand what the poster is saying. I don't mind the odd 'tbh' malarky but not whole sentances with shortened words. It's like your trying to crack a bleedin' code!! (and I'm under 25yrs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

ahh now boys, are you still all fighting? We all agree text speak can be annoying when used in inappropriate threads, but in silly ones, might actually be a little funny?? (although I don't think I would bother trying to decipher them!)

kasintahan wrote:
    Why not just learn it?

Ahahahaha! Yer- we all sit here scratching our brains because we can't 'understand the youngsters'. Of course we can understand it, it's just inherently annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

The reason that i suggested that it should be banned is not due to the fact that certain people cannot understand it but because it is lazy and just degrades the tone of a serious debate or discussion. If you cannot be bothered to use WORDS form the english language then you probably have not got a very constuctive opinion to add. This is not the case every time but in general......

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You are all so so anal retentive it just(i mean jusy) is not cool to whinge about these things does it really make that much difference?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

4Xcut wrote:
    If you cannot be bothered to use WORDS form the english language then you probably have not got a very constuctive opinion to add.

well ok if its a debate on the finer points of the english language your probably correct, but dont say because someone isn't arsed typing full words they cant have input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

If the title of a thread is in text speak I won't even bother clicking it. If in a thread a post is made mostly using "txtspeak" I usually won't make the effort to read it. I'll skip it. It is not going to go away. It could even get worse. There is not a lot that can be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Now as for text speak I believe that it should be a matter for the moderators of each forum to decide on wether or not to allow text speak. Some forums are less serious than others therefore text speak wouldnt be that big of an issue.
    Forums like Feedback, Forums, Politics, Humanties and probably a few more would be more readable with out text speak.
    It is to be expected in Humour, AH, Cuckoo's Nest and probably Games.
    When someone types in text speak it makes me think they are no more than 15-16 years old.
    It doesn't take much longer to use all the characters on a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I think that txt spk is essential to seeing if someone's a muppet quickly and efficiantly. Warnings/bannings would only make txt spk'ers type properly and as such it would be hard(er) to tell them apart from the non-idiotic population of boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Text speak makes baby Jesus cry.

Murder is the only 100% effective solution, but I do like the idea of mass spamming these b@stards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Textspeak is damned annoying. It's not that people can't read it, hell my first few posts are written in it. It's just that it takes more time, and is a complete eyesore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'll bet this was the thread that drove 4XCut to start this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=261430

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Just because you can't read it doesn't make it any less of a language.

I don't read sanskrit but I'm sure there's a wealth of information written in it.

kasintahan wrote:

I don't read sanskrit but I'm sure there's a wealth of information written in it.
    Yer, but if someone was posting in AH using sanskrit people might be a tad peed off too. And drop this 'you just don't get it' bull. It hardly needs an enigma decoder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

kasintahan wrote:

Txt speks esy 2 reed but ppl jst dont want 2 go 2 de bothr of reedin it when dey cud b reedin propr typin lyk

Oh, and your sigs too big. Notification PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If someone doesn't put the effort into writing a post, I won't put the effort into reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

moan moan moan, if u dnt like it dnt luk at it, r dnt reed it!

Advertisement