Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmm Eircom being vindictive NOOOO not AT ALL

Options
  • 29-05-2005 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

HA HA

Had to laugh i just checked my line after cancelling Eircom 2 month free trial lol guess what its now a

FAIL

again, gotta admire em for there tenacious **** him attitude, roll on NTL is what i say

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You had BB foe 2 months and now the line has failed? wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Yep

sent a mail to customer complaints its outrageous

Was laughing but i was thinking about it and its no longer funny

:mad:

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This sort of thing makes me wonder just how accurate and transparent eircom's line testing system actually is.

I mean does anyone really know how it works or how often they test?
    or what the criteria for a failed line actually are?

It's a bit much to just say "FAILED"

I'd assume they've just removed you from a database and your line will pass again when it's retested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You don't need to worry about it for a second Solair, the OLOs will have been over it with a fine tooth comb, and you know how good they are for insisting on practical, logical, usable systems. And of course ComReg will have been over it too, and they're simply unimpeachable.

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Solair wrote:
    This sort of thing makes me wonder just how accurate and transparent eircom's line testing system actually is.
    The fourth mystery of Fatima !
    It's a bit much to just say "FAILED"
    I think that is a catchall .
    I'd assume they've just removed you from a database and your line will pass again when it's retested.
    Thats what I think too. Shin actually had ADSL so his line did not need any testing for a few months, did it Shin :) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Pissed off? Call up eircom, ask for a full retest. They have to send an engineer out (costing them), check your line, and either give you a reason why you can't get it, or swallow their pride, and say 'We were wrong, sorry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

snappieT wrote:
    Pissed off? Call up eircom, ask for a full retest. They have to send an engineer out (costing them), check your line, and either give you a reason why you can't get it, or swallow their pride, and say 'We were wrong, sorry"

They don't actually have to send anyone out(costing noone).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

snappieT wrote:
    As I am MAN says, eircom are, currently, under no such obligation.

They have been talking of improving on this (and start to investigate individual fails, etc.) and there have been posts suggesting that asking for a manual test works.. but they are under no obligation right now to do anything. I think it's well known in these parts that their prequal tests are a pile of pants.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

They do, I was told when I ordered a retest that I'd have to wait until the next time an engineer was in the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Could this be one of the ways Dr Phil had in mind when dealing with churn on the free BB trials. If you don't take Eircom's offering they force you back to dialup or FRIACO?

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

shinzon wrote:
    FAIL
    OMG NO!

Ring them up and tell them that your property has now been devalued due to their incompetance and that you HAD a service which you now don't have.

And are now taking legal advice.

I mean can you imagine the uproar if you change to Airtricity from ESB and they simply cut your power off for a while pending a voltage test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

My line has shown FAIL for ages now. And I've had bb for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Solair wrote:
    Ring them up and tell them that your property has now been devalued due to their incompetance

Don't be so ridiculous.

eth0_ wrote:
    Don't be so ridiculous.

What's ridiculous about it people sue for FAR less. It'd make an interesting test case.

I just find it highly suspicious that the minute I cancel the BB trial and return the router ETC ETC that my line suddenly fails again

Thank god i kept all the mails i got from eircom about the trial, cause now they dont have a leg to stand on

Its great that people have BB when there line is failing, but problem is that if i went to order it now i couldnt even if I wanted to, cause id get the usual BB is a sensitive technoloy BS speech again, your line is failing BLAH BLAH BLAH

It strikes me a bit anti competitve to be honest, i wonder do i actually have legal recourse this time, seens as i had it and now there denying it to me again

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Solair wrote:
    What's ridiculous about it people sue for FAR less. It'd make an interesting test case.

They only have to to provide voice transfer and nothing else. If you called me and gave the story above I would laugh.

Who have you asked for BB now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

shinzon wrote:
    I just find it highly suspicious that the minute I cancel the BB trial and return the router ETC ETC that my line suddenly fails again

So, you were checking the line availability during your free 3 month trial and it only failed after you handed back the modem?

To be honest I don't think eircom would bother going to the level of failing you because you canceled your trial. They have bigger fish to fry. Probably had to do with them running the test while you were online and that may have messed it up. It's happened to others. Their test criteria are hypersensitive.

damien.m wrote:
    So, you were checking the line availability during your free 3 month trial and it only failed after you handed back the modem?

To be honest I don't think eircom would bother going to the level of failing you because you canceled your trial. They have bigger fish to fry. Probably had to do with them running the test while you were online and that may have messed it up. It's happened to others. Their test criteria are hypersensitive.

No i never actually ran the test during the trial because i assumed everything was ok when the Broadband was working, TBH I was bored in work yesterday and I just said what the hell and tested the line with eircoms checker and it said failed

I cancelled the trial and returned the modem on the 19th of may

Shin

• Advertisement

Did you wait for frames recovery?

I received this drivel in an e-mail this morning

Dear ****

Thank you for your e-mail. I have looked into the issue raised and would like to try an explain the situation for you.

The status of your line does seem to have changed, as you now can not avail of the broadband service as your line fails the pre qualification test.

The exact reason why a line fails a pre-qualification is not made available to us as all other operators use the same testing system and this would provide an unfair advantage is the sale of this product.

We are not in a position to be able to sort this issue out for you as this would again give us an unfair advantage over competitors as they do not have access to our lines, and can not provide resolutions for their customers.

This is not an eircom decision, but the regulatory authority who controls the telecommunications industry. I can understand your frustration but our hands are tied in this respect.

Obviously, if you feel you wish to take this further then this is your decision, but I apologise that this is eircom's stand on the situation.

I apologise that I can not be of any further assistance at this time.

Kind regards

So eircom are blaming comreg for my inability to now receive a Broadband service

FFS

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have been told, and I am not certain, that if you have broadband your line fails the pre-qual. I failed it when I was using broadband. It sounds to me like a bug in the test. I would imagine if you are using broadband, you will be able to pass the test again. Just leave it a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Let me get this straight Shin:
    1. Your line has worked for broadband until recently. Right?
    2. You cancelled at the end of your free trial so, either in disconnecting your service Eircom also disabled the line or else the line still works and the fault is in the testing technology. Right?
    3. Have you asked another provider to give you broadband now? Do they confirm your line test has failed?
    4. Are you forwarding the email correspondence to ComReg asking for their advice?

I wonder what do they mean "if you wish to take this further"?

Who controls the line-testing service? If Eircom can not test or repair it, who can?

to answer the questions

1) My line passed for BB in april, the first time it has done that since they said my line failed 2 years ago, not going into the whole saga again, just to say it passed once before this time

2) I cancelled the eircom trial on the 19th, returned the router etc etc on that date

3) Ive tried all other pre-qual test, from digiweb, esat etc etc, and because they use the same database as eircom they all say fail now

4) Comreg are useless, once eircom say line fails line fails, nothing they are willing are able to do about it

I know it sounds implausible, but im sticking to my guns and say eircom are deliberately failing my line, because they do not want anyone else to have it

Could someone tell me would i qualify for the line upgrade scheme, if i went that route with eircom, not that it really matters ill be going with NTL as soon as its here in my estate, but my heckles are up and its the principal of the thing more than anything else

Shin

if you ask eircom for BB I bet they will fix it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

shinzon wrote:
    This is not an eircom decision, but the regulatory authority who controls the telecommunications industry. I can understand your frustration but our hands are tied in this respect.
    Garbage, bollocks, rubbish. Eircom retail can draw the issue to the attention of their "account manager" in Eircom wholesale just like any other operator. Tell them this, and while you're at it drop ComReg a line and tell them that Eircom are blaming them for regulatory roadblocks without explaining honestly that there are still routes that can be taken.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you are not getting satisfaction from Eircom then take your business elsewhere (e.g. NTL).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bond-007 wrote:
    Did you wait for frames recovery?

The line should still pass regardless, in fairness even in the UK if a line is border line BT will only enable it for 512K but Shinzon had 1MB so its definatly not a long line.
    Eircom don't have a leg to stand on here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement