Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Languages

• 29-05-2005 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi! I'm in 6th year and I'm thinking of doin Applied Languages next year. If any of ye are doin it, do ye think its a good course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Yeah it's pretty good. The language modules are the hardest in UL (but not by too much).If you do French its a major step up from what you're used to in secondary school. Going from writing to a penpal to 19th century literature in the first semester was a bit of a shock to the system but got used to after not too long. I don't do German but I think it's basically the same. Most people who do both say it might be a bit harder.

Beginners Spanish is really easy at the start (nearly everyone got an A in the first semester) but does get harder. Still nothing compared to French though.

There are some pointless "filler" modules aswell. Linguistics in first year has a hilarious lecturerer but the subject matter can be pretty mind-numbing. And most classes are just wrist-amputating note-copying sessions. Language Technology in 2nd year is universally condemned as the biggest waste of time on planet earth.

If you only do 2 languages then you take on another elective for the 1st 3 semesters, most people doing marketing. None of them liked it and all dropped it in 3rd year after Erasmus to do technical writing or teaching english as a foreign language.

Oddly, you do your FYP in 3rd year, and have to do research for it while you're on Erasmus. Good to get it out of the way but it was a big rush.

If you like computers at all you should think about Applied Languages with Computing as an option. The language modules are the same but you avoid marketing with a computing stream. The first semester is introduction to IT which is basically a guaranteed A1. It does get alot harder with programming though. You also do your FYP in 4th year like normal which has its good and bad points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

yeah I have a few classes with people in Applied LAnguages and they seem to like it. I'm in Spanish History with them and thats really good

Advertisement