Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you nerds not seen EIII yet?

Options
  • 29-05-2005 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I ain't, anyone wanna join me in the Omniplex fing sometime?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The part of me that liked star wars is dead now.

Or iow I've seen it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I aint seen it yet. How I managed to evade seeing it for so long is beyond me. Something tells me I may crack this week and run to Mahon..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Sin City is out this week, not going to ruin it by seeing EIII in the same week.

damien.m wrote:
    Sin City is out this week, not going to ruin it by seeing EIII in the same week.

I see that you are a man of taste and refinement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A trip to see Sin City would interest me. But I seem to be alone in this country in having no interest in seeing EIII at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

No, there's me as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Fysh wrote:
    A trip to see Sin City would interest me.
    I don't go to new releases anyway. Don't see the point of getting mashed in when I can just wait a couple days and dawdle in. Plus I don't know what Sin City is, and couldn't be bothered my hole looking.
    But I seem to be alone in this country in having no interest in seeing EIII at all...
    Same here with LOTR. I had to procmail the words "LOTR" and the phrase "Lord of the Rings" from one mailing list I'm on to get one particular nerd to shut up about it; and all his talk has put me right off the whole thing.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dahamsta wrote:
    and couldn't be bothered my hole looking.

Your loss then.
    and all his talk has put me right off the whole thing.

wow, the power of one nerd to put you off such a great movie. I was sceptical about the LOTR to start with but once I went to see it I was impressed. Moreso for the second movie than the first though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

dahamsta wrote:
    I don't go to new releases anyway. Don't see the point of getting mashed in when I can just wait a couple days and dawdle in. Plus I don't know what Sin City is, and couldn't be bothered my hole looking.

I'm the same, to be honest. I could never be arsed with premieres...If we do bother doing the Sin City thing, we should give it at least a couple of days.
    dahamsta wrote:
    Same here with LOTR. I had to procmail the words "LOTR" and the phrase "Lord of the Rings" from one mailing list I'm on to get one particular nerd to shut up about it; and all his talk has put me right off the whole thing.

Hah. If you think that was painful, how about making the mistake of agreeing to go along to the premiere of RotK because a couple of friends are going, and I had a sort of passing interest in seeing it wrapped up?

There were people who stood up and clapped, mid movie, at some of the dodgiest CGI I've seen in a mainstream release.

They were in costume. As in, a good 3/4 of the audience.

Oh, how I wanted to slaughter them all....

damien.m wrote:
    Your loss then.
    Well, to me it sounds like a game or a reality tv show, so I'll just wait for the reviews that tell me different if that's ok with you. Since I don't go to new releases anyway, it hardly makes a difference now does it?
    wow, the power of one nerd to put you off such a great movie.
    He went on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it. Here's a website it about it, here's a website about that website, I think gollum is the coolest ever, I want to have gollum's babies, here's my three dozen favourite quotes, did you see when Frodo did this, did you see when Frodo did that? On and on and on and on and on.

Besides, I didn't like the books very much, I thought they were tedious and overdone. I'll probably watch them eventually, but I'm in no rush.

adam

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    Well, to me it sounds like a game or a reality tv show, so I'll just wait for the reviews that tell me different if that's ok with you. Since I don't go to new releases anyway, it hardly makes a difference now does it?

More info here, trailer sources here if you're interested. It's an adaptation of a series of comics (or graphic novels if you prefer; I hate the term) which is supposed to be extremely faithful to the source material (which in itself is quite good over-the-top noir in the style of Raymond Chandler's "the big sleep").

Edited to add : just watched the high res trailer. Really looking forward to Sin City now. :)

Fysh wrote:
    More info here, trailer sources here if you're interested. It's an adaptation of a series of comics (or graphic novels if you prefer; I hate the term) which is supposed to be extremely faithful to the source material (which in itself is quite good over-the-top noir in the style of Raymond Chandler's "the big sleep").

My dislike of the term graphic novel comes from it's use as a "I'm not reading comics really" excuse.

Graphic Novels are a distinct entity to comics though. There is a lot of overlap between the two, and many comics and graphic novels work equally well in either format but there is a difference in storytelling style, pacing and plot development between the two in my eyes.

It's an artificial distinction really. Like the difference between a serial novel and a standard novel. Or a short novel and a full lenght one. In both cases, essentially its a story expressed via the medium of writing, but the style, delivery and method used is quite distinct to each.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Sin City looks rather interesting... Very much liking the way it's shot. Aaaaaaanyway

nesf wrote:
    My dislike of the term graphic novel comes from it's use as a "I'm not reading comics really" excuse.

Exactly, it's that "well, yes, it has pictures and words, but this is, like, literary and stuff. Not like that superhero crap" attitude. I mean, people who read books don't sit there getting all defensive about how they're reading "novels, thank you. Books are like those crappy things Dan Brown writes - novels are completely different.
    nesf wrote:
    Graphic Novels are a distinct entity to comics though. There is a lot of overlap between the two, and many comics and graphic novels work equally well in either format but there is a difference in storytelling style, pacing and plot development between the two in my eyes.

I'm not so sure about that, but I think part of this is that "comics" is the term I use for pretty much anything involving words and static pictures. "Sequential art" would be another alternative, but it still sounds to me like it's trying too hard to distance itself from the "lowbrow" content, and I don't see the point in doing that.

I do agree that there are differences between different types of comic, etc. But yeah, for me "comics" is a catch-all term. I know it gets misinterpreted by people who don't know much about comics, but I can't be bothered tailoring my descriptions of my hobbies to people who know nothing about them and are willing to judge on first impressions.

Having said that...I still think most pervsuit comics are a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

ooh, can we all go see Sin City soo?? It's supposed to be really good (I heard the guy's on Red fm talk about it, said it was fab, even if you didn't like "graphical novels")

just don't pick a night that I'm working! any time the next 2 weeks is good, just after 7pm!

Sod the lot of ye then, I'll go see it on me own.

adam /sulks

Advertisement