Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unstable connection...

Options
  • 29-05-2005 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

My god. Things never work. I have a wireless router giving broadband to a laptop and PC. When i ping the router from teh laptop i get nice healthy stable results. DL speed are grand. When i ping the router from the pc, one or two requests will time out and pings in general are bad. ALso DL speeds are bad. Whats up?Something is blocking it or something. Any ideas? The router is nearer the pc than the Laptop so its nothing to do with strength.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It can still be about strength. You should be able to confirm the signal using the PCi card's supplied utility.

Has the PC wireless card got an external antenna attached to the back of the machine or on an adjustable lead.

The PC's internal metal shell is designed to reflect EMF radiation, and the router - antenna path has to be roughly line of sight, or cleanly bounced, so you might need to turn the PC or reposition the router.

Because of the low profile of the laptop, it's less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

you could try changing the frequency you wireless is working at, usually it'd be depicted as a 'default channel' ranging from 1 - 13, simply try a different channel and see if its any more stable for your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i love you's! First, frequency is somehow the key. Changed the channel and now im getting 170kBps and 1ms pings perfectly to the router. I don't understand at all why, as its less than 3 meters from the router to this machine but im happy for the moment.thanks a mil chaps

Advertisement