Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5.10 for a pint in BFborder rip-off

Options
  • 29-05-2005 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought i'd mention that the price for a pint of heineken/carlsberg/kronenberg/miller that i've drunk there cost €5:10 a pop and after 11pm they up the price to €5.40 !
    Those small bottles of bulmers cost 4:80 a go and the usual 30c applies after 11pm, larger bulmer bottles are same price as pints.

What are the bets for a €6 pint soon?

And yet pubs are complaining of falling beer sales ?!! (was it over 10% down since start of year?)

I noticed an advert by Beamish&Crawford who 'announced' a price freeze yet their product(Kronenberg) was the same price as its rivals !

Also i've been in this place 3 times in the last 2 weeks in both the pub and nightclub area, i have NOT seen a price list displayed anywhere, is this legal ????
    If its not legal, is there anyway to report this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just because the brewery are freezing the price to the pubs doesnt mean all pubs are not going to stick a bit on themselves. Apparently B&C havnt raised prices since 2003 or something, doubt if the in pub prices have been the same since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

gurramok wrote:

Also i've been in this place 3 times in the last 2 weeks in both the pub and nightclub area, i have NOT seen a price list displayed anywhere, is this legal ????
    No it's not legal. They must show a pricelist at the entrance to the premesis. Not sure who you'd report it to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Not sure who you'd report it to though.

Ombudsman??

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

No it's not legal. They must show a pricelist at the entrance to the premesis. Not sure who you'd report it to though.
    Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Why not just demonstrate with your feet and drink somewhere else. The sooner people stop accepting this culture from publicans, the sooner it will end.
    Hit them where it hurts, on their profit margins ;)

gurramok wrote:
    Just thought i'd mention that the price for a pint of heineken/carlsberg/kronenberg/miller that i've drunk there cost €5:10 a pop and after 11pm they up the price to €5.40 !
    Those small bottles of bulmers cost 4:80 a go and the usual 30c applies after 11pm, larger bulmer bottles are same price as pints.

And yet pubs are complaining of falling beer sales ?!! (was it over 10% down since start of year?)

I noticed an advert by Beamish&Crawford who 'announced' a price freeze yet their product(Kronenberg) was the same price as its rivals !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

gurramok wrote:

Bets for €6 a pint, LOL, Next time you're there order a pint of Erdinger, a German beer that’s fairly popular now and see how much they charge you. Needless to say I only had one and left promptly to another pub where miraculously it was a whole €1 cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Bets for €6 a pint, LOL, Next time you're there order a pint of Erdinger, a German beer that’s fairly popular now and see how much they charge you. Needless to say I only had one and left promptly to another pub where miraculously it was a whole €1 cheaper.

Erdinger is €3 per pint before 8 in the Dice Bar. Think it's on particular nights, but definitely on a Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Just back from Cologne in Germany, where the same drink is E1.09 a bottle from a kiosk, and in a bar, between E3.30 and E3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Yip, beer in Berlin Germany is so cheap.Supermarkets sell 500ml bottles of all the best beers for between 60 and 70 cent.A shop on the road will charge you 1.10 for the same bottle.A pub will charge 2.50 or thereabouts.Happy hour happily still exists here also.

Lidl has 500ml beers for 19 cent.Cigs costs 4.00.Lidl has cheaper own brands for 3.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm just back from Munich and couldn't believe how cheap beers (and most other things) are there.

And the beer is sooo much nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

rondjon wrote:
    Erdinger is €3 per pint before 8 in the Dice Bar. Think it's on particular nights, but definitely on a Thursday.

€3!, I'd have to see to believe it, and why only before 8 and on certain nights? Are they pumping real time from Germany and have to start paying the operators over time?. Another symptom of Rip Off Ireland.
    Prices I have paid for it in one night in 4 venues all in city centre varied from €4.80 to €5.90 with most of them being in the upper range.

I'd have to see to believe it

Sheesssh!!!!! Whaddya gotta do round here... Everyone is so cynical. WTF would I make something like that up.

It works like this.

1. Walked into Dice Bar. It was a Thursday. It was before 8pm - about 5 actually.

2. Ordered pint of Heineken and pint of guinness.

3. Barman asks for €6.

4. Surprised, I ask him what's the story.

5. He says all beers are €3 before 8.

6. Next round, ask for 2 erdingers.

7. Barman still asks €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

gurramok wrote:
    Just thought i'd mention that the price for a pint
    <snip>
    Also i've been in this place 3 times in the last 2 weeks
    You complain about the prices yet continue to go there, well it's no bloody wonder that they continue to rip people off!!! As someone said, why not vote with your feet and go somewhere else!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

gurramok wrote:
    Very timely post. From the examiner today
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/Full_Story/did-sgkDMCZ7IOaPYsg0aewFBADppk.asp
    The Mercantile Bar, at 28 Dame Street, Dublin, which is owned by Sherbelle Taverns Limited, was yesterday the first pub to be successfully prosecuted for not displaying the cost of 16 drinks on their price list.
    Oasis (the best government site by far) gives information on the legislation and how/where to complain.
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html

A request - please report it and let us know how you get on. Nothing riles me more than people on Boards b1tching and moaning but unwilling to follow though.

PaschalNee wrote:
    Very timely post. From the examiner today
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/Full_Story/did-sgkDMCZ7IOaPYsg0aewFBADppk.asp

Oasis (the best government site by far) gives information on the legislation and how/where to complain.
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html

A request - please report it and let us know how you get on. Nothing riles me more than people on Boards b1tching and moaning but unwilling to follow though.

Did you actually read that article???

The new law allows them be fined up to €3000, up from the previous €127.

And what were they fined? €150. BIG ****ING DEAL!!!!!

rondjon wrote:
    And what were they fined? €150. BIG ****ING DEAL!!!!!
    First off, it is a first offence for this company and the first case of this kind (or first conviction as the case may be). Judges have discretion to set the fine and for the first of such cases I think this was an reasonable way to do it. I can only assume that if the courts see lots of these cases or repeat offenders the fines will go up. The Director of Consumer Affairs seemed happy enough with the result:
    While the judge did not impose the maximum fine allowable on the publican yesterday, the Director of Consumer Affairs said: “The substantial increase on the fines which may be imposed by the courts should help to ensure that businesses become more vigilant and fully meet their legal obligations.”
    However even if the fine was €3000 it would not be a huge deal in financial terms for the pubs in question (assuming they are not getting fined every day). I think the bigger problem for them would be when they apply have their publican's license renewed - numerous convictions could only make that renewal more difficult.

PaschalNee wrote:
    First off, it is a first offence for this company and the first case of this kind (or first conviction as the case may be). Judges have discretion to set the fine and for the first of such cases I think this was an reasonable way to do it. I can only assume that if the courts see lots of these cases or repeat offenders the fines will go up. The Director of Consumer Affairs seemed happy enough with the result:

However even if the fine was €3000 it would not be a huge deal in financial terms for the pubs in question (assuming they are not getting fined every day). I think the bigger problem for them would be when they apply have their publican's license renewed - numerous convictions could only make that renewal more difficult.

You must work in the bar trade or have some sort of connections based on those comments.

Based on the above, why bother prosecuting at all???

rondjon wrote:
    You must work in the bar trade or have some sort of connections based on those comments.
    Yes, I must indeed. Sorry to disappoint, but my only connection is the customers' side of the counter.
    rondjon wrote:
    Based on the above, why bother prosecuting at all???
    Like I said, it is the first conviction under the regulations - I don't think it's realistic to expect the maximum fine first time out.

Why bother? - presumably to send a signal to the market that prosecutions are coming down the line if they don't get their act together.

PaschalNee wrote:
    to send a signal to the market

A €150 signal? They'll be quaking in their boots rushing around putting up prices all over the shop after a €150 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to add... not drinking alcohol doesn't save you money either. I was in the Hairy Lemon in Temple Bar a few weeks back and ordered a pint of coke (as I had the car with me) - over a fiver??!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 awadhwa

Friends forget that a pint cost you €5.10 - I got a Rock Shandy in Cafe en Seine and it set me back a whopping €6 - yes your eyes are not fooling you I did say €6!!

Oh incidentally a pint of Heinken was €5.20 - talk about expensive drinking habits huh?

:mad:

Advertisement