Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go

Options
  • 29-05-2005 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I was wondering, where would be the best place to go to purchase a rifle, for vermin control? mainly rabbits and foxes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

not to sound sarcastic or anything but a gun shop maybe. Theres nevery anything in the buy and sell i got it for a couple of weeks and the only thing that came up was a diana air rifle theres nowhere else to buy them if you tell me what county your in i may be able to sujest a good gun shop

The best rifle i can think of for what you want is either a .22wmr or a .17hmr the 17 has a flater tradjectory but is suseptable to swaying in the wind and the 22 has more "killing power" but if you are able to place your shot this wont matter.

i know that griffin hawe(athy) had 2 cz 22wmr last time i was up these are the most popular rifle i have some across and are quite cheap savage also make cheap enough stuff but the cz would be of better quaility

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=1 heres info on the rifle i have i bought it second hand for €300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Capall86

Ok i should have been more specific, anywhere around dublin or kildare/meath area? or do i have to look abroad for what i want?

no you dont need to go abroad at all i dont know much places around there griffin hawe is in athy but can be on the expensive side

Im guessing your not familiar with licencing either once you find a rifle you want to buy you will have to get the serial number of the gun and a recipt off the dealer then aply for a firearms cert at your local guarda station you will also either need to be part of a gun club OR have permission to shoot on someones land if you have your own land just tell them and that its for pest control. Once the licence goes through usually takes around 1 month if you've had no firearms experience it can take longer sometimes up to 3 months then once you have it you can get your gun from the dealer (he wont give it to you until you have a licence for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

i dont know much places around there griffin hawe is in athy but can be on the expensive side

If you don't like the first price you're offered, try haggling. They're usuually fairly competitive in my experience. There's actually no shortage of firearms dealers in that area, a few new ones have opened recently also. Golden Pages has some dealer listings. Talk to local shooters as well for good contacts. Try to look at what a few stores have to offer before buying.

yea the guy was asking for 450 for a rifle then i told him i could get the same gun in waterford for 300 (which i could) and the price drops down to 380 also alot of peeps charge a fortune for scopes which can be bought very cheaply off the internet

• Advertisement
Advertisement