Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wing mirrors smashed

Options
  • 29-05-2005 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

Some punks gave my gf's car a bit of a beating there the other night and took one of the wing mirrors off the car, just leaving it hanging on by the metal wires. The base of the mirror also came off with it. They cracked the mirror on the other side.

Anyone know how much itd be to get all this fixed, I dont reckon itd be too much but she thinks itll cost her a good bit :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bad luck. Whats the make model and year of the car?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

00 Yaris.

Yeah its annoying, probably just some locked kids or something. I only left her house at 1am and her sister was in at 3am so it happened in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You may be able to get a replacement one from a scrap yard if it cannot be repaired. The mirrors on the Yaris are not electric/heated or colour coded so this should make it cheaper to replace/repair.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bazz26 wrote:
    The mirrors on the Yaris are not electric/heated ...
    So what were the aformentioned wires for?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

The same thing happened to my 00 Fiat Punto..

I had a look at the glass, which is shattered, and it seems to be glued on as I can't remove it..

Any advice would be very welcome..

PS. Apologies if I hijacked the thread..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I had electric mirrors if I'm not mistaken on a 99 Yaris Luna...but would definitly second the option of trying a breakers as had to replace a wing mirror under same circumstances on a Honda Civic a few years back and was not cheap....

:mad:

There's a website I used before for a part www.imvra.com that will allow you to send a part request to the association of irish motor recylers (breakers :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kbannon wrote:

Dont be fooled by that! I drive a Scudo/Dispatch/etc van and its wired for heated mirrors but on a basic '97 model dont actually connect to anything.

Strange but true.

Mike.

kbannon wrote:

By metal wires I am thinking that this is the mechanism behind the mirror itself that allows the mirror to be adjusted manually from the inside of the car, rather like a leaver or arm.

bazz26 wrote:
    By metal wires I am thinking that this is the mechanism behind the mirror itself that allows the mirror to be adjusted manually from the inside of the car, rather like a leaver or arm.
    Yes thats it.

We put the one that was chopped off back on with a bit of glue. Hopefully it works out! The smashed mirror is obviously going to have to be replaced, but it appears that its glued on from the back, so Im assuming that it could just be stripped off totally and then a new mirror be fitted easily.

Try ringing a few scrap yards as I know someone who had to a wing mirror replaced on a 02 Corolla and it cost €200 from a main dealer. That was an electric mirror and it also had to be sprayed the colour of the car.

As the Yaris mirror is most likely just plain black plastic it should be easier to pick one up in a scrap yard as it doesn't matter what colour the scrapped car is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes thats it.

We put the one that was chopped off back on with a bit of glue. Hopefully it works out! The smashed mirror is obviously going to have to be replaced, but it appears that its glued on from the back, so Im assuming that it could just be stripped off totally and then a new mirror be fitted easily.

Yeah, the glass can be replaced easy enough, did one on the gf's A class a month or so back, got it fairly handy in halfords, its a generic mirror but does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

If you go to a main stealer, you'll probably be asked to pay something like the 200 yoyos already quoted. If you try a few car breakers, you could pick up a mirror unit for about 20-30 yoyos each. Fitting them is simple if you can use a screwdriver. Usually have to pop or unscrew a fascia panel inside and undo 3-4 fixing screw. This should be easier than trying to replace glass in existing units.

a_ominous wrote:
    Fitting them is simple if you can use a screwdriver.
    Right onto the next problem........... ;)

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

samo wrote:
    I had electric mirrors if I'm not mistaken on a 99 Yaris Luna...
    Might have been one of those things only on the Luna model.

Same thing happened me lately as well. Galway city centre (location isn't that important, people have delighted in kicking or slapping mirrors for the laugh down here too), little tikes (could have ben big tikes, only noticed next morning when I came in after my parking disc was up) took the mirror bit so I have to get off my rear and get one. 99 Corolla and unfortunately both electric and colour coded.

Advertisement