Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert-what age are you?!

Options

Comments

Well a lot in my class are. If you don't do TY and started school a bit early then it's very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

that means you would need to start primary school when you were 3 and not turn 4 until july, back when i started svhool you werent allowed to start if you were under 4, i've never heard of a 15 year old doing the leaving, anybody else know someone that did the leaving when they were 15???

I started primary school when I was 5, so that means if you're still 4 by the end of June you will do the LC at 15, that is as long as you don't do TY. Or did I skip a year without anyone telling me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Well a lot in my class are. If you don't do TY and started school a bit early then it's very possible.

*sniff snifff

i smell something there.... its strong, almost overpowering... :D

do the math

Assuming ur b-day is in september.

Start school at 5
    Junior 15
    Leaving 17

Start school at 3 - that would just be going 3 aswel the year after being 2. Doesn't sound right to me AT ALL. NEVER heard someone do it like that.
    Junior 13
    Leaving 15

Even if u skip years in primary, they hold u back for the leaving til' ur 16. OR so i'm told.

• Advertisement

Yes, but you're not taking into account if your birthday is during the summer months. Mine is in July. I started school when I was 5, and I will be 16 when I do my Leaving. But I will be 17 when I start college.

You see?

no i don't see. IF u started school at 5, same as me, u should have been 15 doing junior cert? Correct?

No. I was 14. I was 15 in that July though. What month were you born, if you don't mind me asking?

6/9/1987 is my birthday.

I started school -/9/92

Went into secondary after 8 years

-/9/00

Junior 03
    LEaving 05

U sure u didn't skip a year.

There's the problem! You did your JC when you were 15, which is right, but I wouldn't have turned 15 til the July, as I was born 17/07/88. When we both started the next year though, we both would have been the same age.

• Advertisement

yeah i was never great at maths. :o

*hides in the corner

wait. U need to explain it again. IF u were 5 starting school that was

in 93

then u entered school in 01

did ur junior in 04

and leaving in 06

where am i going wrong?

Math is my strongest subjuect actually.

But you could be right. I don't know. All of this study is wrescking my head! :(

yeah i was never great at maths. :o

*hides in the corner

wait. U need to explain it again. IF u were 5 starting school that was

in 93

then u entered school in 01

did ur junior in 04

and leaving in 06

where am i going wrong?

Like I said, you could be right. I can't get my head sraight at the mo.

[Edit: Also, I started school in 00. Now my head hurts. Thanks a lot! ;) ]

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

You sure you didn't start school at 4, and turn 5 during the summer? My birthday is in August, I started school when I was 5, I was 15 doing the JC, I did TY, now I'm 18 doing the Leaving and 19 going into college - if I'd skipped TY I would have done the Leaving at 17 and been 18 going into college...

You're probably right! I can't really remember. :(

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

what did i start when i asked that question?!...at least its not as bad as the north/southsiders one...

Oh yeh! I was just thinking about starting that.............. ;)

damnit some of us dont understand...we only go up to the big smoke once a year for the all-ireland!!
    northside southside its all the same to me why cant we all just get along :(

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't start talking about it here! We might have 2 thread about it then. :(

grrr.....its an epidemic! so ur young doing the leaving eh?!

• Advertisement

I'm thinking about doing it alright. I suppose you're doing it too?

thats the plan, unless of course i have a major breakdown....which isnt likely seeing as im on here so long...

Or if you get knocked down by a clown on a segway...........

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

do the math

Start school at 5
    Junior 15
    Leaving 17

Start school at 3 - that would just be going 3 aswel the year after being 2. Doesn't sound right to me AT ALL. NEVER heard someone do it like that.
    Junior 13
    Leaving 15

Even if u skip years in primary, they hold u back for the leaving til' ur 16. OR so i'm told.

totally agree with you there, i was just gone 4 starting school so i was 16 doing the leaving and even at that i was very young

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

i didn't read the thread. can you or can't you do the leaving at 15?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Apparently you can, as long as you're 16 before you go to college... I don't know if that's true though

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

do the math

Start school at 5
    Junior 15
    Leaving 17

Junior 13
    Leaving 15

I have never heard of anyone either starting school having just turned 3 and/or doing the leaving at 15.

I started school having just turned 4, and had to fight on a number of occasions not to be kept back a year cos I was so young. I did the leaving at 16.

There's only, eh, 2 people in my class who are 15, so perhaps they turn 16 before the LC starts? :)

Yes, since we still have the good looks AND are able to get 560 points on our mocks! ;)
    Thats for sure, up the 16yr olds!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

I'm 18. There are a few 16 year olds which in my opinion is a bit young... And there are a few 19 year olds too. :cool:

Advertisement