Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spicing up your guitar life!! ;)

• 29-05-2005 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm no novice on the guitar but I used to be in love with the instrument!! I've played for a few years now, having lessons in school and private ones too. I know the common chords and a good few others too and can easily jam with blues chords (i.e I know the blues scales). I know some other scales too, boring ones like the major G up the neck...

I've learnt a fair few songs in my time bit I usually get bored of them and forget em. Now I find myself picking up my (crappy) guitar and finding nothing to do with it....

What can I do? I used to love the guitar but now I can't really play anything...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Learn songs from genres you mightn't usually play. If you normally listen to Oasis, try playing some Metallica. Try playing stuff that isn't made up from "common chords". Try different rock, metal and blues songs. It'll give your fingers some different to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

A good way to remember songs once you've learned them is to use them for your warm-up at the start of your practice session - You know them already so use them to loosen up your fingers and wrists.

Now comes the important bit. Most people when they play guitar on their own just strum out the chords. This gets old really quickly and you'll get tired of listening to yourself! Instead of just learning another 3 chord wonder - Pick a song that you'll need to really put some effort into playing well. Break it down into pieces so you can work on one part at a time. Once you've learned to play that part, add it to the end of your warm-up routine and then tack on the new section that you're working on. If you get frustrated while playing - Leave it alone for a bit and try polishing up something else you learned some time ago.

Another good way of keeping yourself interested in what you're playing is to try putting together your own meddleys. It's a great way to get to grips with chord progressions while making sure it all sounds natural during the changes. Have some fun with it - rewrite the lyrics and take the **** while you're at it. Instead of trying to learn complex Queen tracks (As an example), take some time to listen to the arrangement - The changes between sections in a song can be very simple at times but the change in tempo, style etc. can be really great. Try it - At least it's something to keep you playing and perhaps you'll be forced to learn the odd new chord shape while you're at it. You'll also end up actually hearing more detail than you'd normally pick up when you just play the CD while studying or whatever.

Do the same thing with the radio - When you hear a song you like - Simple or not, try to work it out by ear. Yes, chances are you'll make lots of mistakes but not until you think you're getting close should you head for a tablature site. Doing it this way you'll end up being able to pick up new songs much more quickly when you hear them for the first time.

Play with someone else - This is a great way to keep an interest and will really help your confidence. You'll be able to bounce your own song ideas off them, write lyrics together and work out problems you're having trying to learn a new song.

These are just some of the things I can think of now. I don't know if any of that will really help you or not but hopefully so!

Gil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

try getting yourself a new bit of gear maybe just something to alter your sound a bit to give u something new to experiment with..find someone to jam wit too anyone even a hobo with a biscuit tin ...you basically need to make it fun again thats the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

when i get a new set of strings on my guitar its like being reborn, i just can't put it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Feck around with alternate tunings to get a different sound and new chord shapes - or mess around with your effects pedals if you have any.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I find it good to try and play someone that's amazingly hard, then everything else seem that much easier.

So therefor, everyone should make a go of this, then try have a go at this. Should be great to give you a good workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Turn off the sound on the telly and try and come up with your own soundtracks. (Next year will see John2's Taxi Driver soundtrack on general release)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That shouldn't be as hilarious as it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Try forming a band and / or turning it into a social thing. Bands like the Kaiser Chiefs are proof that you don't have to be any good to be in a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'd put money on it that the Kaiser Chiefs are quite competent on their chosen instruments and that their manifesto is driven more by commercial opportunism than a sense of fun and adventure. The P.R. machines efforts have obviously paid off. Again.

But your point stands. You can be crap and still be in a band. A crap band usually, but a band nonetheless.

:D

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Wow, thanks for repling!! Some good tips there I might try!!

I have really crap gear and won't be able to afford any new stuff but the other tips I'll try!!

Cheers everyone, I was afraid I'd lost interest in the guitar...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

John2 wrote:
    Turn off the sound on the telly and try and come up with your own soundtracks. (Next year will see John2's Taxi Driver soundtrack on general release)

Last night I spent my time learning the music of For a Few Dollars More and the Good the Bad and the Ugly (trumpet included).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I find it good to try and play someone that's amazingly hard, then everything else seem that much easier.

So therefor, everyone should make a go of this, then try have a go at this. Should be great to give you a good workout.
    wow, you like Sonata Arctica!! I thought i was the only one!

curtains wrote:
    Last night I spent my time learning the music of For a Few Dollars More and the Good the Bad and the Ugly (trumpet included).

**** yeah! Ennio Morricone is a legend. The Dollars movie soundtracks are deadly. Must re-learn them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

Paint your guitar a different colour and give it a name, play in public places, release a single no matter what you think of it etc.

Slurms wrote:
    wow, you like Sonata Arctica!! I thought i was the only one!

[gloat]Yeah, I met them, and have all the albums autographed :D[/gloat]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭charon

Lucky bastard! And Voice of the Soul isn't that hard...especially compared to Revontulet lol

yup, you bastard!

Ah well ive met Dave Mustaine, so in my eyes we're equal.
    But if you've met Hansi ill kill ya!

Slurms wrote:
    yup, you bastard!

Ah well ive met Dave Mustaine, so in my eyes we're equal.
    But if you've met Hansi ill kill ya!

Hansi Kursh? I'll have to scan in the pictures. Sound guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If you dont find yourself compelled to play guitar at every opportunity, (like most of us here are) regardless of your gear, the songs you can play/remember etc. maybe its just not for you...

Maybe its just me, but ive always found guitar an absolute passion, and regardless of ablility/frustration, have never been in need of something to 'spice it up'. Actually, i wish i had more time to play the feckin' thing... :D
    Theres always too many songs i want to learn, to many new sounds to try out, too many ideas floating around in my head.... :D

• Advertisement

If you dont find yourself compelled to play guitar at every opportunity, (like most of us here are) regardless of your gear, the songs you can play/remember etc. maybe its just not for you...

Maybe its just me, but ive always found guitar an absolute passion, and regardless of ablility/frustration, have never been in need of something to 'spice it up'. Actually, i wish i had more time to play the feckin' thing... :D
    Theres always too many songs i want to learn, to many new sounds to try out, too many ideas floating around in my head.... :D

I disagree wholeheartedly! Even the best of us get bored sometimes and look for something new to play. If you give up, you're a jerk!

Hansi Kursh? I'll have to scan in the pictures. Sound guy.
    seriously?

So when nobel laureate poets get writer's block that means that poetry isn't for them?

Slurms wrote:
    seriously?

Seriously. Back in 2002 if I recall correctly.

man, you lucky git!!
    that man is like one of the best singers ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

so killa queen i live in dublin you live in dublin i live in coolock and you

I live near Nutgrove...rathfarnham-ish.... :D

Advertisement