Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane hints at Celtic move

• 29-05-2005 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Tottenham striker Robbie Keane sent out a come-and-get-me message to new Celtic manager Gordon Strachan after scoring the winner for the Republic of Ireland in Jackie McNamara's testimonial.

Speaking after the friendly match against Celtic, Keane refused to rule out the possibility of a switch to the Glasgow giants.

Full article

I think it'd be a bad move to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

I thought you meant the other Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i thought he was linked to Everton and newcastle and Villa ?

Why move to a lower division ? Sure he would be scoring each game but its really a big step down:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I thought it meant that Keane too when I read the headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

ill take either one anyway :)

Keaneoooooo (which ever one ) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Why move to a lower division ? Sure he would be scoring each game but its really a big step down:(

Rubbish..Celtic are a better side than Tottenham,my mate who's a Spurs fan even (grudingly) admits this,plus your always guaranteed European Football with Celtic something Spurs rarely have,the best they can hope for is a good cup run,the SPL might be crap in comparasion to the Premiership but why wouldnt any Footballer with ambition and drive not want to go to a team like Celtic,60,000 every home game,more or less guaranteed silverware every season,European Football..think about it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jonny68 wrote:
    Rubbish..Celtic are a better side than Tottenham,my mate who's a Spurs fan even (grudingly) admits this,plus your always guaranteed European Football with Celtic something Spurs rarely have,the best they can hope for is a good cup run,the SPL might be crap in comparasion to the Premiership but why wouldnt any Footballer with ambition and drive not want to go to a team like Celtic,60,000 every home game,more or less guaranteed silverware every season,European Football..think about it ;)

if he wants to better himself as a player he will stay in the premiership. 60,000 home fans is a pointless thing to bring up. Oh and of course its a step down. Celtic play against championship standard sides week in week out pretty much.

12 or so european games isnt enough to better himself in.

If he wants to win medals is a **** league then he should go, if he wants to be a better player he should stay in the premiership. As an irish fan i hope he stays in the premiership.

if he wants to better himself as a player he will stay in the premiership. 60,000 home fans is a pointless thing to bring up. Oh and of course its a step down. Celtic play against championship standard sides week in week out pretty much.

12 or so european games isnt enough to better himself in.

If he wants to win medals is a **** league then he should go, if he wants to be a better player he should stay in the premiership. As an irish fan i hope he stays in the premiership.

I suppose John Hartson failed miserably when he moved to Scotland as well :rolleyes: Keane would excel in Scotland,just look at Bellamy,if anything he has improved imemnsly as a Footballer in the last 5 months since joining Celtic..anyway if Bellamy stays and i truly hope he does..we wouldnt need to sign Keane as we have enough strikers,we need IMO

1-Goalkeeper

2-Defender

3-Midfielder

Should Bellamy not stay (it`ll be a travesty if the board dont make him an offer) THEN we will require a Striker but until then i dont think we do,Hartson,Sutton,Bellamy,Beattie,etc,etc are enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Spurs are on the up, seriously seriously on the up, and Keano would be a fool to leave em. People forget how young he is, isn't near the peak of his career yet.
    That said, maybe he is being asked to leave with the talent Spurs have up front.
    Either way, a move to Celtic?
    2nd in a **** league which has at most, at most 3 good teams in it, good being of Spurs standerds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Bellamy has improved by playing against **** defences?

Put Bellamy back in against prem defences, and see how he does.

How can you gauge that he has improved, considering he was a very good player before he went upto mickey mouse town.

I watched the cup final, and to say that the standard is woeful is a complement.

Of course Keane would excel in Scotland, as he would for Shelbourne

bazH wrote:
    Bellamy has improved by playing against **** defences?

Put Bellamy back in against prem defences, and see how he does.

How can you gauge that he has improved, considering he was a very good player before he went upto mickey mouse town.

I watched the cup final, and to say that the standard is woeful is a complement.

His form up to leaving Newcastle wasnt good,its clear he wasnt getting along woth Souness,whereas the move to Celtic he has excelled in every game he has played,not all teams`defences in the Premiership are that good remember..as for Keane,i admire him as a player but ill reserve judgement on him moving to Celtic until such time as the Bellamy situation is sorted out

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote:
    I suppose John Hartson failed miserably when he moved to Scotland as well :rolleyes: Keane would excel in Scotland,just look at Bellamy,if anything he has improved imemnsly as a Footballer in the last 5 months since joining Celtic..anyway if Bellamy stays and i truly hope he does..

He wouldnt fail, he wouldnt improve as a player though. Excactly, look at bellamy. He can score for fun up there cos the teams are a joke. Its certainly not due to the fact he has turned into a great player in the past 6 months.

How has he improved immsensly?! hes up against sub-standard defenders who wouldnt get a look in at premiershhip clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

jonny68 wrote:
    why wouldnt any Footballer with ambition and drive not want to go to a team like Celtic,60,000 every home game,more or less guaranteed silverware every season,European Football..think about it ;)

...thought about it.

Take the 60,000 fans every week out of that statement, and Keane could sign for Shels and get the rest.

Keane needs to play the best there is. And if Celtic (or Rangers for that matter) thought that the SPL was challenging enough they wouldn't be trying to get into the EPL. By the way, where are Celtic gonna find the money for Keane's wages?

He wouldnt fail, he wouldnt improve as a player though. Excactly, look at bellamy. He can score for fun up there cos the teams are a joke. Its certainly not due to the fact he has turned into a great player in the past 6 months.

How has he improved immsensly?! hes up against sub-standard defenders who wouldnt get a look in at premiershhip clubs.

right let me give you an example..HENRIK LARSSON,now he was a good player before he moved to Celtic,he just got better and better after joining Celtic..world class..BUT he also done the business when it mattered in Europe and the World Cup,so your argument isnt valid,not every defender in the SPL is crap,how much do you know about the Scottish game?Sure it hasnt a patch on the Premiership but to label them all sub standard is comical..so if someone like Larsson can join Celtic and not just do the business in the SPL but on the big stage as well whats to say Bellamy,Keane or whoever cant..my argument is completly vaild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally, i have no idea where keane should go. I think he would thrive at United, Arsenal or Chelsea, surrounded by world class players. I think Keane has the ability to be truly world class player - but he needs to learn along side top players. However, i do not think he is currently good enough for the 3 i mentioned and would never be signed by any of them.

Now i do not mean this to be a dig at Liverpool, but i think they would be perfect for Keane and he would be perfect for them. I feel he could be a quality signing alongside Cisse and Morientes and could learn to fulfil his potential under Benitez

Tauren wrote:
    Personally, i have no idea where keane should go. I think he would thrive at United, Arsenal or Chelsea, surrounded by world class players. I think Keane has the ability to be truly world class player - but he needs to learn along side top players. However, i do not think he is currently good enough for the 3 i mentioned and would never be signed by any of them.

Now i do not mean this to be a dig at Liverpool, but i think they would be perfect for Keane and he would be perfect for them. I feel he could be a quality signing alongside Cisse and Morientes and could learn to fulfil his potential under Benitez

If he does leave Spurs i cant see him going to Arsenal,Chelsea or Man United as they seem to be pretty ok for strikers right now..whats to say he might not try his luck abroad again,make up for the disapointment of Inter Milan some years back when he was effectively still wet behind the years..time will tell anyway

jonny68 wrote:
    If he does leave Spurs i cant see him going to Arsenal,Chelsea or Man United as they seem to be pretty ok for strikers right now..whats to say he might not try his luck abroad again,make up for the disapointment of Inter Milan some years back when he was effectively still wet behind the years..time will tell anyway
    He was a fan favourite at Inter when he was there - they thougt he was great. I think had Lippi (i think it was him) stayed in charge at Inter, Keane would have been a great success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

As an ireland and Robbie Keane fan i would like him to stay in the Premiership. But under Jol its been a stop start couple of months, and i dont think its about "Keane would be mad to leave Spurs" but that he might be forced out with reports of a £7.5million bid for Andy Johnson.

Celtic are a great club.....a massive club......in a Sh*t league. I dont believe you can become a better player in the SPL but if you havent scored in a while the SPL is the league for any player. Keane has done well this season for goal....17 i think which is his best for some time and that is good considering he was playing deep at the start of the season and then left out a few times by Jol.

Everton would be a good place to go but i think they might struggle in the league next year. From what Keane said, he is keen on a move to Celtic and is just waiting for them to make a bid......but if everton, or Newcastle join the chase then it will be interesting to see where he goes.

jonny68 wrote:
    right let me give you an example..HENRIK LARSSON,now he was a good player before he moved to Celtic,he just got better and better after joining Celtic..world class..BUT he also done the business when it mattered in Europe and the World Cup,so your argument isnt valid,not every defender in the SPL is crap,how much do you know about the Scottish game?Sure it hasnt a patch on the Premiership but to label them all sub standard is comical..so if someone like Larsson can join Celtic and not just do the business in the SPL but on the big stage as well whats to say Bellamy,Keane or whoever cant..my argument is completly vaild

WOrld class? get a grip.

They are sub-standard compared to premiership, its comical to suggest otherwise. Most of the defenders in the lesser SPl sides wouldnt make it into a PL side. A few might, but most wouldnt.

WOrld class? get a grip.

They are sub-standard compared to premiership, its comical to suggest otherwise. Most of the defenders in the lesser SPl sides wouldnt make it into a PL side. A few might, but most wouldnt.

Are you seriously trying to say that a player like Henrik Larsson was not world class in his heyday? :eek: look at the facts..he has done it on the big stage,the World Cup,The European Championship,The Champions League,The UEFA Cup..not forgive me if im wrong here but any player who scores in the afermentioned is world class..as for defenders in the SPL..ill agree a majority of them probably wouldnt cut it in the Premiership but there are some class acts in the SPL and not just with Celtic and Rangers..its easy to castigate the SPL when ones knowledge of it might be limited..i could say the same about morons who castigate the Eircom League but thats another issue

jonny68 wrote:
    Are you seriously trying to say that a player like Henrik Larsson was not world class in his heyday? :eek: look at the facts..he has done it on the big stage,the World Cup,The European Championship,The Champions League,The UEFA Cup..not forgive me if im wrong here but any player who scores in the afermentioned is world class..as for defenders in the SPL..ill agree a majority of them probably wouldnt cut it in the Premiership but there are some class acts in the SPL and not just with Celtic and Rangers..its easy to castigate the SPL when ones knowledge of it might be limited..i could say the same about morons who castigate the Eircom League but thats another issue
    Larsson is an exception, not the rule. The guy was a class apart, a true legend.

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote:
    Are you seriously trying to say that a player like Henrik Larsson was not world class in his heyday? :eek: look at the facts..he has done it on the big stage,the World Cup,The European Championship,The Champions League,The UEFA Cup..not forgive me if im wrong here but any player who scores in the afermentioned is world class.

Doesnt cut it in my books. For him to be world class i think he needed to do it in one of the big leagues. Scoring goals in world cups etc is a huge task for a player of his talent.

Hes was a very talented player, but i dont think he was world class. If keane did move to Celtic i could see him scoring goals in UEFA cup and CL, same with bellamy, it certainly doesnt make them world class though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i cant see the problem with keane moving to celtic.. if he is scoring week in/out and has a high confidence.. is only a good thing for the irish team and player..

Packie Bonner played for celtic (500+ appearances) and it didnt make him a bad player..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I can see him going to Celtic after the 2006 WC imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

A move to shels would be brilliant for us.

But seriously, Celtic might be an ok team but the teams Celtic play against are crap pure and simple.

Its better to play in the English league, with better players, higher standard of fitness and better defences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

if you want to join the english leagues (or not quite in your case) then i think Celtic should be allowed, but be stuck in at Rymans league level or where-ever it is clubs have to start - it would be COMPLETELY unfair to every club in the english leagues if celtic and rangers were just dumped into the prem first off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

jonny68 wrote:

Could you give us a second example?? I doubt it.

SPL is a sub-standard league.Keane will gain confidence because he will score alot of goals but to learn as a player you need to play and train with good players and be truely challenged. There is no challenge in scotland very few good players and keanes game will not improve.

Robbie Keane is a good player with one major flaw - he puts the head down and doesnt look for a pass. Thats his big problem when playing for Ireland. If you put him in a league with lesser defenders its only going to make him do this more. He needs to learn to look up and find the pass or play thge correct pass. The SPL wont do this for him. He needs to play against top opposition week in week out. Celtic would be a bad move for the player. Simple as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

PHB wrote:
    Spurs are on the up, seriously seriously on the up, and Keano would be a fool to leave em. People forget how young he is, isn't near the peak of his career yet.
    That said, maybe he is being asked to leave with the talent Spurs have up front.
    Either way, a move to Celtic?
    2nd in a **** league which has at most, at most 3 good teams in it, good being of Spurs standerds.

As opposed to at most 5 Good English teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Bellamy has improved so much already. OK, the SPL is a crap league but you can see he has improved a lot. So many players go to Glasgow and very few come back a worse player. Larsson, Gatusso, van Bronkhorst, Viduka, van Hooijdonk, etc, etc. He'd be playing on average 12-14 European games a year, 4/5 Old Firm games, possibly cup finals and teams like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have really improved over the last couple of season. They're always tight games now. I mean, he started 23 league games for Spurs this season, I doubt he'll start more than that next season. I'd love to see him go to Celtic. Maybe he wouldn't be missing the one on ones which he should have scored yesterday.

And Larsson isn't/wasn't world class? Out of every single player still playing football atm, I think only Raul has scored more in Europe than Larsson (and Larsson has played less games).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

how has bellamy improved and tell me what you are using to measure his improvements. I think your username sort of reveals that your slightly biased towards celtic.Playing in the SPL gives the illusion of improvment but he is playing against lesser players so you have to take that into account.

Players need to be at a high standard and the SPL is not high standard.
    Larrsson was an excellent player but he is the exception to the rule.Any joe bloggs who is pretty good player can join an old firm team and do well. You cant measure their success, If you put bellamy in the championship last season with sunderland or wigan he also would have done well. Does that mean he has improved?? No it means he has dropped a level thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Not quite convinced that Keane is the right striker for Celtic. Some nagging doubt in the back of my mind. Anyway, a lot of these kinds of stories come about at this time of year with very few coming to pass.

As for Larsson not being World Class... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Kingp35 wrote:
    Players need to be at a high standard and the SPL is not high standard.
    Larrsson was an excellent player but he is the exception to the rule.Any joe bloggs who is pretty good player can join an old firm team and do well. You cant measure their success, If you put bellamy in the championship last season with sunderland or wigan he also would have done well. Does that mean he has improved?? No it means he has dropped a level thats all.

I agree totally, it'd be a step down for Robbie.
    It'd be a boost for his confidence but only because he's playing against reduced opposition

Not to drag up an old chestnut but.....if Celtic were put into the premiership how do you think they'd fare?
    Even the most ardent fan would admit that they'd struggle. Thus illustrating the point that Robbie would be better served staying within the prem, moving to a more successful club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kingp35 wrote:
    how has bellamy improved and tell me what you are using to measure his improvements. I think your username sort of reveals that your slightly biased towards celtic.Playing in the SPL gives the illusion of improvment but he is playing against lesser players so you have to take that into account.
    Maybe its just confidence but Bellamy is a different player since joining. Even against Ireland he just looked a class above everyone else (we/Ireland didn't exactly have the best of team out in the first half though). What we see Ronaldinho do all the time (stand in one spot and pass the ball one way while looking in the other direction), Bellamy loves doing things like this now. I never really seen him do it at Newcastle and I've no doubt he has improved in other aspects of his game too.

I am 50/50 between Keane and Bellamy for Celtic. Bellamy is better to watch but Keane would score more goals. Here's the goalscoring stats (while Keane's reputation is fading, his scoring ratio is on the up):

Goals inc. internationals:

Keane:
    2000/2001 - 10 goals (9 premiership goals in 12 starts. 1 goal against Holland)
    2001/2002 - 15 goals
    2002/2003 - 17 goals - Spurs player of the year and top scorer
    2003/2004 - 20 goals - Spurs player of the year and top scorer
    2004/2005 - 21 goals

Bellamy:
    2000/2001 - 8 goals
    2001/2002 - 16 goals
    2002/2003 - 10 goals
    2003/2004 - 9 goals
    2004/2005 - 22 goals (9 in the SPL)

A-Trak wrote:
    I agree totally, it'd be a step down for Robbie.
    It'd be a boost for his confidence but only because he's playing against reduced opposition

In some ways it will be a step down, in other ways it will definitely be a step up.
    Not to drag up an old chestnut but.....if Celtic were put into the premiership how do you think they'd fare?
    Even the most ardent fan would admit that they'd struggle. Thus illustrating the point that Robbie would be better served staying within the prem, moving to a more successful club

Even accepting the scenerio of Celtic playing in the EPL, it is a total nonense to compare their current team with one they would have for the EPL. For all sorts of reasons, Celtic would gel a very strong team in the EPL and would easily be in the top 6 within 3-5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

In some ways it will be a step down, in other ways it will definitely be a step up.

Even accepting the scenerio of Celtic playing in the EPL, it is a total nonense to compare their current team with one they would have for the EPL. For all sorts of reasons, Celtic would gel a very strong team in the EPL and would easily be in the top 6 within 3-5 years.

But thats my point. I'm am comparing their current team because thats the one Robbie would be joining, not a team theoretically built for the EPL.

• Advertisement

A-Trak wrote:
    But thats my point. I'm am comparing their current team because thats the one Robbie would be joining, not a team theoretically built for the EPL.

Celtics current (although I do accept that they are about to be rebuilt) team are certainly more than a match for Spurs :confused:

What you want to compare is the opposition in the SPL. That is where the step down would come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'd love to see Keane join Celtic and see them hold onto Bellamy. The two of them up front could work well.

Advertisement