Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite F1 Cars

• 29-05-2005 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

What F1 cars float your boat? :P

For me: The 1971 Tyrrell or the 1999 Jordan 199

TYR0204-3.jpg

1999_jordan_199_7.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭molateen

Has to be the jordan 191 . Most beautiful f1 car of all time .

jordan191.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lotus 49 from the 67 world championship.
    When drivers had real skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

In terms of looks, I agree with molateen. The Jordan 191 is, for my money, the best looking F1 car ever created. Great lines, the colour scheme looked fantastic and really suited the car and, not only was it good looking, but for a first effort from Jordan, it was a great car as well, giving them 5th place in the Constructor's Championship in their first year. Apparantly it was also one of the easiest cars to drive, as anyone who ever drove it has said. It was a relatively simple design but this also meant it was a very neutral handling car and one that just about anyone could adapt to quickly and get a pretty quick time out of.

Other great looking cars in my opinion were the 1985 and 1986 Lotus Renaults (that black and gold John Player Special livery has to be one of the most beautiful colour schemes ever to grace a racing car), the 1988 McLaren MP4/4 (a sleek, wide, very low car that had it's roots in a previous design of Gordon Murray's, the 1986 Brabham BT55), the 1989 Ferrari 640 and the 1994 Ferrari 412 T1.

They're some of what I think are the best looking cars but my favourites in terms of overall design are probably the 1992 Williams FW14 and 1993 FW15 models. The most technologically advanced racing cars ever built. Those Adrian Newey/Patrick Head designed cars pushed F1 design and technology into the stratosphere. Amazing machines.

There's loads more cars I really like but I can't think of them right now but I'll post them up here if they come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Dcully wrote:
    Lotus 49 from the 67 world championship.
    When drivers had real skill.

seconded!

also, i think the 94 ferrari is really sexy with the gold rims and what not.

lotus49e.jpg
    The lotus 49

mcmin854392.jpg
    The 1985 lotus 97T

McLaren_MP4-4_1988_Senna_front_quarter.jpg
    The McClaren mp4/4 1988

bt55_1.jpg
    The 1986 brabham bt55

GPC97110_FrontQuarter.JPG
    The 1992 Williams FW14B

ferrf189d.jpg
    The 1989 Ferrari 640

1995-FRA-Alesi-Ferrari.jpg

• Advertisement

Just dug up a few of those for ya there aidan . I have to say I really like the look of the 1986 Brabham bt55 .

Very sleek looking racing car .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

I love the last marlboro mclaren, 1996......gorgeous.

1996_mp4-11_1.jpg
    The 1996 McLaren Mp14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

All of the cars which have been mentioned would be on my list - Jordon 191, Brabham BT55 etc. Others I like are the Lotus 79 and Brabham BT52. Both were innovative and successful as well as looking great.
    chapmanType-79-(1).jpg
    BT521.jpg

Most cars from 1993 on don't look as well as earlier cars IMO. F1 regs changed for 93 making the cars a bit narrower and they got narrower again in 1998.

I agree, Brian. A racing car is supposed to look sleek, low and wide and I think they looked a lot better pre-'98. They also looked a lot better when they were on slick tyres instead of todays "tractor-thread tyres", as I like to call them. :D

A couple of exceptions to this are the 1999 Jordan, as posted by The Lopper above, and the 1998 and 1999 McLarens. I think they are probably the only decent looking F1 cars post-'98.

Just thought of a couple more cars I liked. I thought the 1994 Williams FW16 looked great, and the follow-up 1995 FW17 and 1996 FW18 looked pretty nice as well. I think the Rothmans livery looked really good on those cars. The 1997 car and livery, though, didn't look as good in my opinion. Even though there were only a few subtle changes to the design of the car and a few changes here and there to the livery, it just didn't do it for me, to be honest, and the previous style looked better.

And BrianD3, have to agree with you on the Lotus 79. Gorgeous car and one which changed the face of F1 technology forever with the introduction of ground-effect. One of Colin Chapman's greatest designs ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

One of personal FAVOURITES
    The most beautiful car ever built!

The Ligier JS5
    http://f1rejects.com/drivers/ligier/bio/76-f1.jpg

What were they thinking?? :rolleyes:

76-f1.jpg

She is a beauty all right . She has all the attributes . Sleek , well rounded good colour scheme .

Was the airbox made that big to fit Mary poppins on the side or was that an after thought I wonder .

molateen wrote:
    76-f1.jpg
    She is a beauty all right.

I do hope you're not being serious and that was actually meant to be sarcastic, molateen! ;):D

Hey....give ligier credit.........they tried their best! :rolleyes:

ANOTHER SEXY CAR............. :rolleyes:

tyrrellp34.jpg

Definatley gets the award for the craziest !!! IMO

I kinda like that one I have to say . No really I do .

Must have been a pain in the hole for the mechanics .

Change the front left there will ya .

No ya eegit the other front left .

Ah yes, the famous six-wheeled Tyrrell. Back in the days when designers were actually allowed to think for themselves and come up with new innovations, unlike today (damn Max Mosely! :mad: ). Imagine something like that showing up for a Grand Prix these days? Max and the FIA-boys would probably have a fit! :D

Innovative, yes. An interesting concept, most certainly (even Williams tried their hand with a six-wheeler in the early 80's as a result). But sexy, Curran? Hmmm, well, each to their own, I guess! ;):D

LOL.............yeah imagine that!

But sexy, Curran? Hmmm, well, each to their own, I guess! ;):D

Doesnt say much for me and my taste in cars!

Wanna see my taste in women :rolleyes:
    I love the Michelin women....with the 6 tyres! :eek: LOL

Some people just dont get my humour sometimes!! :o

I thought this car looked great when i seen if first!
    Just a pity it didnt live up to its amazing paint job!!!

R4_03a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

even Williams tried their hand with a six-wheeler in the early 80's as a result
    Was that not McLaren? I thought they built a six wheeler with two rear axels, but it was banned before it even got to race.

No, that was definitely Williams, muckwarrior.

March also built a six-wheeler which also had four wheels at the rear, the March 240/771 in 1977. It made only one appearance, though, during practice at the Brazilian Grand Prix that year.

Pictures and details here:

http://www.f1nutter.co.uk/tech/6wheels.php

Advertisement