Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM in New York?

Options
  • 29-05-2005 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I have a Nokia tri band.
    Want to purchase a sim over in NYC so I can continue using my handset. Anyone got any advice on networks?

I looked at T-Mobile's website but could only find handsets for sale. No sim-only offer.

Also, text - 10c to send/Free to receive according to T-Mobile's site. Does this apply to all networks and to texts sent home to Ireland?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I used T-Mobile while in the New England / Boston area and you most certainly can buy SIM packs with pre-paid credit. It work's quite like it does here in Ireland.

The mobile companies tend to sell phones rather than SIM packs for two simple reasons:

1) There are 3 incompatable digital systems in use in the USA and while you can port your number between them you can't move your handset. (GSM, CDMA and iDEN) There are also still a substantial number of first generation analogue networks still in very active use!

and 2) Because the market is a few years behind Europe, many people at the lower end who would be interested in pre-pay are also going to need phones as they'll be first time mobile users.

A few bits about pre-pay and mobiles in general in the USA:

1. There is no distinction between mobile number and fixed line numbers. So, if you're in Boston you'll have a mobile phone with a normal Bostonian number. There's no way of knowing if you're calling a mobile or a landline.

2. Because of the above, you're charged per min. regardless of wheather you're making or recieving a call. BUT, the call charges are usually quite reasonable.

3. If you've no credit, you can't receive any calls and your voicemail no longer takes messages! Callers get "The subscriber you are calling is not receiving calls at this time"

4. Coverage is no where as near as universal as it is in Europe. It's usually perfect in urban areas but it can be very patchy in non-urban areas. (depends on which network you're on too)

5. Text messaging simply isn't normal. No one seems to know what it is, and are completely confused by it if you send them a text. (this was 18 to 22 year olds in late 2004!) On the plus side, T-mobile to Ireland texts are 10cents! Some US networks charge for incomming texts too! (T-mobile doesn't)

6. Many European chargers will also work on 110-120V as used in the USA. So, all you'll need is a simple plug adaptor rather than a voltage adaptor. Check your charger's front panel it should read something like 110-240V 50/60Hz. If it's 220-240V 50Hz.. you need to buy a charger in the USA. (They're quite cheap though and you should be able to find one that works with your phone)

7. Calls are the same price to ANY US phone number. Just dial 1-area code- local number. International calls can be dialled with 011 or the "+" symbol. 00 does not work. This is very important for text messages too.. 00 353 86 1234567 or 00447712345678 will NOT go through. You have to send to using + or the US access code 011. So, I'd suggest saving any numbers on your phone book in the +353 or +44 format.

8. 800 calls freephone, may not be free from your mobile. A per min charge may still apply. It certainly did on T-Mobile last year.

9. If you're calling home, you can buy lots of cheap prepaid cards that can get you through to Ireland for like 2 cents per min!

http://fonepool.com/ these guys actually do ship out decent sim packs in advance if you want to get one. (Comes with a few top up cards too)

Oh yeah

10. Top up in summer 2004 was exclusively by voucher. You can't top up online, using a credit card or at ATMs or via any electronic method.
    The vouchers are quite easily available though in places like 7 Eleven.

Hope that's of some help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Just to say thats an excellent post solair.I'm off to NYC in July and ordered from Fonepool so ill be on the T-Mobile network when i go there.The information is very helpful.Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They charge you to receive calls even when not roaming? That is ****ing lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

you can buy sim only packs, i can confirm that.
    As said if you want to call home, get a pre-paid calling card, most stores or even gas stations will have them. They last a good while and are reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Solair..
    Thanks very much. Your post was very informative! I've gone and ordered a T-Mobile sim from fonepool.

Fingers crossed the Euro won't keep dropping...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plastic paddy

Apologies if this is the wrong area to post but i have an urgent enquiry. My wife is returning to Dublin for about 3months, while i'm in London, then we are both going to live in Co Down. My question is, what is the cheapest sim only pre-pay for calling UK networks from the Republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Meteor www.meteor.ie are probably the cheapest, but I think you need to pay them 60 Euro in advance, before they allow international calls.

O2 are best after that and you can buy an International Speakeasy sim pack with 10 euro credit included and 5 euro per month for 2 months after or 4 months, depending on the pack you go fo. Also, you dont have to pay O2 up front to start using it.
    www.o2.ie

Vodafone are the most expensive, PLUS you need to pay them approx 60 Euro in advance also.
    www.vodafone.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plastic paddy

Wolfmann,

Thanks for your help.

No problem at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I ordered 2 sims from fonepool one for me and one for the girlfriend and i just noticed that you can get very cheap international calls to Ireland 6c a minute to a landline by using Fonepool International. You ring Gorilla Mobile then prompted to key in the number you wish to call.Your credit card is charged for the price of the call.Hope it works when i get to NYC :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Meteor www.meteor.ie are probably the cheapest, but I think you need to pay them 60 Euro in advance, before they allow international calls.

I think you are mixing up roaming with making International calls. I haven't had to pay Meteor anything to make International calls.

Well up until recently I always thought it was only for roaming that Meteor wanted the payment for, but 2 new Meteor customers have told me they have had to pay to enable international calls!
    I joined Vodafone in February with 2 phones on the one bill and they wouldnt allow it without me topping up my a/c first, even though I have signed a 12 month contract and provided ID and billing address etc, so I can assure you, I'll be leaving Vodafone as soon as possible.
    Muppets

wolfman wrote:
    Well up until recently I always thought it was only for roaming that Meteor wanted the payment for, but 2 new Meteor customers have told me they have had to pay to enable international calls!
    This is quoted from Meteor's customer guide:

"If you have used your initial call credit and have topped up, just call Customer Care and we'll set it up for you.

If you have not used your initial call credit you will need to make an advance payment of €60 using any of our top up methods. Once you have topped up call Customer Care and we will set it up for you. All your advance payment will be used on calls."

In other words, you won't need to pay anything if you've used your free credit and topped up since using it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

i have a SE k700i. would a normal 2 pin plug adapter work in the states does anyone know?
    thanks

Should do.
    You'll find the Sony Ericsson charger probably has 100-240 Volt written on it. If so, all you need is an adapter from 3 pin to 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think you may be confusing a "normal 2-pin" (european) adaptor with a US adaptor.

The US plugs and sockets are totally different to Europe.

awnings-3.jpg
    That's their socket

Plugs can be 2pin (non grounded/earthed) or 3 pin (grounded/earthed)

You can insert a 2 pin plug into a 3 pin socket, but you can't insert a grounded 3 pin plug into a 2 pin socket. Older houses often have a serious shortage of 3 pin sockets, and I wouldn't recommend hacking the plug so it fits! Very dangerous!

19.jpg

US plug, the 2 pin just doesn't have the round top pin.

You'll pick up a UK/Ireland - USA adaptor in places like radioshack.. but, i'd suggest trying peats www.peats.ie or even roches stores etc before you go as you'll get a nicer and safer adaptor. Most of the radioshack stuff is utter trash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why does that sight need an arrival date?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement