Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Deadly" Diego gets the Golden Boot!!

• 29-05-2005 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Forlan got 2 goals tonight for Villareal which brought him up to 25, 1 more than Eto'o :D Same amount of goals as Thierry Henry...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Who gives a toss. I an Harte is seemingly a decent defender now. Do you want him back in the Irish squad now? No, didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Being top scorer in La Liga is quite a different feat than Ian Harte's.

Congrats Forlan, Always thought he had quite a good style, not suited to United though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Eh? I dont mind Ian Harte. Whats the problem with you? Im just tryna get a discussion going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Stop the bickering lads.

Cangrats to Forlan, was an amazing part of the Villereal team that got into the Champions League.

Give him another go Fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think he would still be cack for us -he has been no better for Villereal then he was before he signed for us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fair play to him big achievement and a nice guy to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I wonder how he'll do in the CL next year.

Imagine Villa got Utd!! That would be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ian Harte and Levante were relegated tonight.
    Great escape performed by Mallorca.

Fair play to Forlan he and Villarreal have had a great season, finishing 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Yeah fair play to Forlan and Villareal. Can't believe Forlan beat Eto'o to the golden boot. Valencia went from champions to finishing 7th! Imagine Chelsea finished 7th next season. Also, Deportivo finished 8th. Very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Fair play to Diego its pity he couldnt produce the same form in the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Who gives a toss. I an Harte is seemingly a decent defender now. Do you want him back in the Irish squad now? No, didn't think so.

Actually Ian Harte back in the irish squad is a good thing. Not a bad player to have as cover. I think at Leeds he just lost his nerve at times... He seems to have recaptured his previous form as he has been playing well regularly... Levante being relegated is no fault of Ian Harte's. They just didn't have the players to compete at the top flight...

Well done to Forlan. He proved everyone wrong. Some players are better suited to ceratain teams, leagues and styles of play. I dont think he was physical enough for the premiership, where strength is a very important part of a players aspect.

If I remember correctly Michael Owen when he first started out was bundled off nearly every ball he was on as he wasn't that strong. He gained a bit of muscle/physique and he was a totally different kettle of fish...

It'll be good to see him playing in the CL... nice team villareal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Fair Play to Forlan, I think everyone knew he was a quality player when he was at United, thats why the fans felt for him but he just did not either seem to suit the league or the style of play at United.
    I am delighted for him as he always did try and thats all you can ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, most fans liked Diego, frustrating but at times unreal.
    Good to see him doing well.
    Very annoyed at the fact we didn't loan him out for the season, now we could hae sold him for a lot of money :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Forlan never stood a chance at Man Utd. Ferguson knew relatively nothing about him when he signed him - only did it out of spite because of McClaren taking the M'boro job. He didn't know anything about how to play Forlan and refused to let him have a free role (the reason he flourished in South America and this season in Spain). When Forlan got a bit of a run together in the starting line up he score something like 5 goals in 7 starts, he was then dropped in preference for Saha and RVN - a lesson in how to drain the confidence out of a player whose game is dependant upon it. This season the player has been playing for a coach who has confidence in the player and allows him to play his game on the pitch without fear of being dropped and the team have reaped the reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Bannor wrote:
    Forlan never stood a chance at Man Utd. Ferguson knew relatively nothing about him when he signed him - only did it out of spite because of McClaren taking the M'boro job. He didn't know anything about how to play Forlan and refused to let him have a free role (the reason he flourished in South America and this season in Spain). When Forlan got a bit of a run together in the starting line up he score something like 5 goals in 7 starts, he was then dropped in preference for Saha and RVN - a lesson in how to drain the confidence out of a player whose game is dependant upon it. This season the player has been playing for a coach who has confidence in the player and allows him to play his game on the pitch without fear of being dropped and the team have reaped the reward.

and of course he has the excellant Riquelme to feed off of .One of the main reasons I beleive he has done well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Henry becomes the first player to win the award two years in a row.

Henry is the sixth player to win the award twice, joining such legends as Eusebio and Gerd Muller.
    I'm glad missing the last month or so of the season didn't cost him in this regard. I'd fancy him to make it a hat-trick of wins next season too.

Good to see Forlan doing so well, great success story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good to see Forlan getting the recognition he deserves and well done to Villareal for confounding all the 'experts'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

It's great to see Forlan doing so well! I felt he was never given the chance at United!!

Does anyone remember his first match ... IIRC Fergie played him up front on his own & he had to be substituted after 70ish minutes 'cause he'd run himself ragged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

His second goal was fantastic as well as the goal from outside the box against barca. Etoo must be crying now and I hear him and Rijkaard are in a big feud at the moment which doesn't look good. Bannor why did he sign forlan out of spite? Did McClaren want him for Boro?
    bazH wrote:
    Congrats Forlan, Always thought he had quite a good style, not suited to United though

I think he's much more suited to United's 4-3-3 than RVN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

forlan could have been brilliant in a 4-3-3 based on what i saw of him in spain

pity fergie seems to have stumbled into that formation than have a coherent plan and have the players he needed to play it regularly

• Advertisement

another failure of ferguson and another reason Utd should start looking for a replacement, he's losing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Actually Ian Harte back in the irish squad is a good thing. Not a bad player to have as cover. I think at Leeds he just lost his nerve at times... He seems to have recaptured his previous form as he has been playing well regularly... Levante being relegated is no fault of Ian Harte's. They just didn't have the players to compete at the top flight...

Well done to Forlan. He proved everyone wrong. Some players are better suited to ceratain teams, leagues and styles of play. I dont think he was physical enough for the premiership, where strength is a very important part of a players aspect.

If I remember correctly Michael Owen when he first started out was bundled off nearly every ball he was on as he wasn't that strong. He gained a bit of muscle/physique and he was a totally different kettle of fish...

It'll be good to see him playing in the CL... nice team villareal...

On the ball here really, have seen Harte play a few times this season and think he's well worthy of an ireland place. Would like to se him in a friendly to see if he can keep up with the pace, as spanish league is a bit slower, but he has def adapted well to spain - who knows might even get a move back to La Liga (fingers crossed). We hardly have a plethora of left back players anyway so ya he gets my vote for squad place at least.

Fair fúcks to forlan! He just didn't suit the PL, but has shown now that he's definately quality when used correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Gangsta wrote:
    why did he sign forlan out of spite? Did McClaren want him for Boro?

Not only did he want him if memory serves they were about to sign him, he was flying into England to sign for them and the Man U representives intercepted him at the airport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Slash/ED wrote:
    Not only did he want him if memory serves they were about to sign him, he was flying into England to sign for them and the Man U representives intercepted him at the airport!
    I thought it was the Russian mafia ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Slash/ED wrote:
    Yup was something like that alright. It was a done deal with Boro until Man U came in at the last moment. They did the deal through his agent while forlan was in the air AFAIK, then nabbed him at the airport and flew him to manchester.

At the time, i was very disappointed, then later on in the season i was delighted. Now, im not sure what to think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

~Rebel~ wrote:
    On the ball here really, have seen Harte play a few times this season and think he's well worthy of an ireland place. Would like to se him in a friendly to see if he can keep up with the pace, as spanish league is a bit slower, but he has def adapted well to spain - who knows might even get a move back to La Liga (fingers crossed). We hardly have a plethora of left back players anyway so ya he gets my vote for squad place at least.

Fair fúcks to forlan! He just didn't suit the PL, but has shown now that he's definately quality when used correctly.

When Bernd Schuster left Levante and the new manager took over (name escapes me now), Ian Harte was promptly dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

I always liked Forlan as did most Man Utd fans , he was recognised as someone who gives 110% always gave his all.
    some games he would have 10 shots all off target but he got into the positions to make them. He had a good run and scored some goals in big games I think it was a shame that he was dropped for RVN and he never really got a chance after that.

I cant understand why Alex sold him especially considering all the goal scoring problems we have been having this season with RVN & Saha missing large parts of the season and Solskjaer being injured for the last 2 seasons. I think he would have really made an impact this season.

Seeing some of the goals he scored in south America im not surprised at how he’s doing now.
    I am glad to see him doing well - everyone loves a tryer

Trizo wrote:
    everyone loves a tryer

Not if he's a waster ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

SAF had 4 strikers, with Bellion and Rossi as backup.
    How was he to know that for nearly the entire season there would be at most 2 availible, normally one though.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

His type of player are often pretty popular. Look at Kezman, he's shoite but most Chelsea fans seem to love him for his goofy beard and headless-chicken approach :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

kaids wrote:
    His type of player are often pretty popular. Look at Kezman, he's shoite but most Chelsea fans seem to love him for his goofy beard and headless-chicken approach :)

he's a good player that just hasn't adjusted himself to the league yet , have a look at his scoring record before he went to Chelsea.....its fecking brilliant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Big Ears wrote:
    have a look at his scoring record before he went to Chelsea.....its fecking brilliant .

Yeah in Holland, but it's crap in Europe. There's alot of weak sides in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Forlan is world class ATM! I say he will do well in the champions league for the forthcoming season.

Maybe score a hat-trick at Old Trafford, and then Fergie will get the boot ;)

Advertisement