Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OC'd Pentium M versus P4/EE and Athlon 64/FX

Options
  • 29-05-2005 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/pentium4-21.html
    The result was that our 2.13GHz Pentium M 770 ended up running at 2.56 GHz! At this clock speed, our two year old platform was able to beat the processor heavyweights Athlon 64 FX and Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition in all 3D games!

Makes for interesting reading...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

very interesting alright, that pentium M has hidden value

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am running a 2.0Ghz one myself with a 6800 Ultra. Fecking sweet like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah the Pentium M is an excellent processor. That article doesnt even consider that very few people would buy an FX without intent to overclock it though. Neither do they mention how much a pentium m costs (a lot).
    Stupid tomshardware..... pfff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not to mention lower power, so won't stress the PSU as much or need as much cooling - should be quieter so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I always asked the question to myself, mabye you can answer it, is the pentium M the same as the centrino only the wireless feature is the difference?

I only ask because ive seen some laptops with PM's in them for cheaper than centrinos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

The result was that our 2.13GHz Pentium M 770

7XX series is centrino, i think? They are refering to centrino's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

they forgot my dothan 755 :(

ive been considering building a desktop around those new dothan

coupled with a fanless psu and a water cooled gfx card, in a m-atx case

nice machine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Centrino is the name of the bundle of technologies. AFAIK its a Pentium-M Dothan, with a certain chipset motherboard, with an intel wireless adapter.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Its old news. This was brought up a month or so back. The Pentium M is an excellent mobile chip no doubt about as it was designed with the constraints of a laptop in mind the constraints which really hurt the P4 and AMD 64 in a laptop. But its a mixed bagged in performance on a desktop. Its an expensive cpu as is the motherboard (although there might be a socket convertor for it out now)for it and there is no upgrade path to it. Anandtech did 41 benchmarks against the AMD64 and the Pentium M only won 11. Thats compared against a non overclocked 2.0Ghz Pentium and a 2.0Ghz AMD 64 and some of the gaps are huge. Overclocking is quite good but every review I have seen always pits the Pentium M against stock P4's and AMD 64's.

Only Tom's hardware would state an overclocked Pentium M beats the FX series. Everyone else says it runs it close but only in certain area's.

In summary its an unbeatable laptop chip but its not a desktop king. No means a disaster on a desktop though but your better off sticking to a P4 or AMD 64.

Advertisement