Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Remove music from an mp3

• 29-05-2005 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

I want to remove lyrics from an mp3 so that I will be able to only hear the lyrics. I know that lyrics can be deleted from an mp3 but can they be saved and listened to without the background music?
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

litirspam wrote:
    I know that lyrics can be deleted from an mp3

How?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

you cant just remove vocals its impossible but you can use different effects and such to get something fairly close to get a cheap karoake

in terms of your question though i dont think its possible to do :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Have a search around for the acapella version of the song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

would like to know how too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

yeh garth is right there go have a look for the accapella version, if it was released as a single theres a good chance youll find it floating around on the net somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lyrics can be stored in the ID3v2 tag (as text). The tag and/or lyrics can be removed, but this doesn't affect the actual song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

but surely that is only if the song is recorded on multiple audio threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭daveathome_16

get any basic recording program (goldwave) is basic,

have a look in pc sound mags ull get a demo prog

youll be able to take the vocals off with a bit of messing around, the music wont sound exactly the same after , but itll be better than some cover by some 1 man band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

there's a "vocal cut" option in cool edit pro, which works sometimes, sometimes not. I used to use it a lot to make radio edits of tunes when i was on college radio

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

litirspam wrote:
    I want to remove lyrics from an mp3 so that I will be able to only hear the lyrics. I know that lyrics can be deleted from an mp3 but can they be saved and listened to without the background music?
    Thanks for any help.

You could solve that by using an EQ. Bearing in mind that every instrument has it's own sound quality (including vocals), it's possible to single out (but not completely) each one.

It can be tricky but it's just a matter of messing around with the EQ. Luckily you're trying to single out the vocals, which are more than likely panned centre, and more often than not, of a reasonable volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Instruments use octaves, Frequencies and harmonics... I'd love to see you try remove an instrument or vocals using eq... Most systems only have 3 levels of eq.... professional systems have hign, mid and low, with a variable mid.... Really advanced programmes may let you do more levels, by rendering levels...

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Usually vocals are panned centre, so if you flip one channel by 180 and merge with the other, you should get everything from the outer edges of the stereo image and lose all the cente panned stuff... in an ideal world and with a v. high quality recording.

If you then mono-ise than and mono-ise your original signal, flip one by 180 and re-merge, you should be left with vocals only.

In reality, though, what you'll be left with is a load of noise. :D

Advertisement