Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Shooting Lobby (Split from Bisley Ram-Raid)

Options
  • 26-05-2005 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Sparks wrote:
    The Lord Roberts Center is the home of the NSRA, OP. Upstairs is the NSRA Offices:

I won't shed a tear for the NSRA/NRA… they did not lift a finger to support the pistol shooters when the Government banned all the handguns in Britain, and it was the NRA that suggested banning semi auto rifles back in 1988.
    :mad:

Jimbo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I won't shed a tear for the NSRA/NRA… they did not lift a finger to support the pistol shooters when the Government banned all the handguns in Britain, and it was the NRA that suggested banning semi auto rifles back in 1988.
    From what I understand of it, that's directly comparable to not shedding a tear for the NRPAI because they didn't prevent us losing pistols in 1972. In both cases, a relatively tiny group was overwhelmed by events outside its control and wouldn't have had any voice with the political parties who were busy using those events to support their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Sparks, What are the NSRA/ NRA doing at the moment to lobby for the return of full bore pistols to the UK?, our association fought a long and hard battle, but one thing stands out in the Irish context , the majority of Irish shooters supported the efforts by the NRPAI for the return of pistols and full bore rifles, this was not and is not the case in England, Scotland and Wales. As a PP shooter and someone directly involved in the promotion of Practical Shooting in Ireland I am delighted we have the Declan Keoghs , Frank Brophys, and organisations like the NARGC , without them we would still be in limbo . Can the same be said about our cousins in the UK !!!, " I am allright Jack" seems to be the motto over there.

les45 wrote:
    Sparks, What are the NSRA/ NRA doing at the moment to lobby for the return of full bore pistols to the UK?
    From what I understand of it, the NSRA through Tom Redhead have been getting the 50m pistols back in. I don't have any contact with the NRA really, not past the individual NRA shooters I'd know at least. I believe they were involved in the pushing of black powder pistols, including the Patriot one, which is a rather nifty design - a fullbore black powder revolver type of affair. In other words, they're working to get as much as they can under the current rules. And given the debt they're labouring under, that's a pretty tall order to be filling. Remember, they're not a political lobby group, they're a sports national governing body, with corresponding responsibilities and duties, unlike ad hoc groups like the NRPAI.
    our association fought a long and hard battle
    I'd love to hear the details, because those details I have heard to date haven't been particularly encouraging and some have been downright maddening. And those aren't even the ones we've seen debated on this board in past months.
    but one thing stands out in the Irish context , the majority of Irish shooters supported the efforts by the NRPAI for the return of pistols and full bore rifles
    I think you mean the majority of target shooters - the majority of shooters aren't in the NRPAI or the NARGC. And frankly, since the NARGC bankrolled the whole thing and have the more political clout, I'm still not sure what you're thinking of when you're thinking of when you talk about what the NRPAI have done.
    this was not and is not the case in England, Scotland and Wales. As a PP shooter and someone directly involved in the promotion of Practical Shooting in Ireland I am delighted we have the Declan Keoghs , Frank Brophys, and organisations like the NARGC , without them we would still be in limbo . Can the same be said about our cousins in the UK !!!, " I am allright Jack" seems to be the motto over there.
    Well, how I feel about Declan is public knowlege, but I do agree with the idea of having a political lobbying body - I just think that this idea that it should be tied to the sporting bodies is a really bad one and needs knocking on the head. Silhouette, Sporter, Olympic, Gallery - they all have different needs and requirements and in the past those doing the lobbying have put the interests of their own sports ahead of the others, as you would expect (they are, after all, meant to be looking out for their own sports). What's needed is an independent body - and I think most of us are in for a rude awakening if that body were to be set up fairly, namely, we'd find out just how small a minority in the shooting community that we really are...

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Firstly, I would agree in relation to the lobby group, how you ensure a balance in approach would be the greatest chalange, and perhaps the Countryside alliance type of organisation would be the way forward, in relation to the majority of Irish Shooters , most full bore rifle shooters are members of various clubs, and all pistol shooters should also be members of clubs, these were the "Irish Shooters " I was refering to. The point I was trying to make is that the Uk Organisations did nothing to assist the UKPSA in lobbying to protect the rights of pistol shooters, they kept quite and hoped that the Government would stop at full bore pistols, and leave the rimfire alone, instead they lost all. I still feel that whatever problems we have we are alot better off than our UK brethern, but you are right and I think a stand alone Group is the way forward, these are my personal thoughts .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Away Team

les45 has it pretty much spot on.

The NRA is supporting calls for the limited reintroduction of ISSF pistols of up to .32 non military calibre.

The 50m pistol shooting is with 'Long Barrel Revolvers'. These have barrels at least 12" long and a welded on metal wrist brace to make the overall length 24", and are 'technically' rifles.

However, there is ZERO support from either the NRA or most shooters for the reintroduction of semi automatic centrefire rifles or full bore and rimfire 'standard' pistols.

The UK Home Office issued a 'Consultation Document' last year asking for views on further tightening of firearms laws and seeking 'opinions'. Of over 700,000 permit holders for shotguns and rifles, (who own an average of 6 guns each), only around 2,000 or so replied.

Some of the 'suggestions' in the document were; A ban on semi automatic and pump action .22 rifles, a ban on pump action and semi automatic shotguns, a ban on 'materiel destruction' rifles (.338/.50 cal 'military' sniper rifles), a ban on Long Barrel Revolvers, a ban on 'Practical' shooting disciplines.

The idea of these 'bans' are quite popular with many target and sporting shooters who feel that supporting them will make the HO think they are 'good boys'.

Jimbo

• Advertisement

Away Team wrote:
    les45 has it pretty much spot on.
    The NRA is supporting calls for the limited reintroduction of ISSF pistols of up to .32 non military calibre.
    That's the NSRA, not the NRA.
    The 50m pistol shooting is with 'Long Barrel Revolvers'. These have barrels at least 12" long and a welded on metal wrist brace to make the overall length 24", and are 'technically' rifles.
    It's not a wrist brace, it's the weights for balancing the pistol:
    SAM50.jpg
    However, there is ZERO support from either the NRA or most shooters for the reintroduction of semi automatic centrefire rifles or full bore and rimfire 'standard' pistols.
    I doubt they're opposed to their return, just that they have a fair idea of how much effect their protests would net them. Political lobbying groups cost money, don't forget, and spending the money that would have paid for coaching and national competitions on a campaign that has no hope of succeeding would be counter to the responsibilities the NRA and NSRA have. The current UK government, don't forget, got into power on the back of the promise to abolish the last of the .22 pistols (the conservatives banned them from private ownership, but you could still store them at the club, new labour banned them outright). And it wasn't a philosophical agenda, it was simply that their focus groups showed that banning guns got them more votes than not banning them. Thinking that that's changed after several people are shot by lampers and a toddler is shot and killed with an airgun, well, that's just incorrect, really.
    The UK Home Office issued a 'Consultation Document' last year asking for views on further tightening of firearms laws and seeking 'opinions'. Of over 700,000 permit holders for shotguns and rifles, (who own an average of 6 guns each), only around 2,000 or so replied.
    And how many have replied to our own DoJ's request for comments on section 30 of the CJB I wonder? (The CJB, by the way, is up for second stage debates in the Dail next week, so evidently the Committee stage is now over and next week we see the remainder of the amendments...)
    Some of the 'suggestions' in the document were; A ban on semi automatic and pump action .22 rifles, a ban on pump action and semi automatic shotguns, a ban on 'materiel destruction' rifles (.338/.50 cal 'military' sniper rifles), a ban on Long Barrel Revolvers, a ban on 'Practical' shooting disciplines.
    The idea of these 'bans' are quite popular with many target and sporting shooters who feel that supporting them will make the HO think they are 'good boys'.
    You wouldn't think so to read the official NSRA, NRA and BASC submissions to the Home Office, which were quite extensive, far more so than our organisations' responses to the DoJ call...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Sparks,
    Have a look at the Taurus revolvers that are sold in the UK.The back piece is definately a wrist brace ,not a counterweight.
    www.guntrader.co.uk has a few in the long barreled pistol category.
    Awkward looking things.you would be better off with a BP Colt bluntline.

As for the UK NRA supporting the re introduction of semi auto rifles.Going by their comments that were well reported on this matter in the mag Guns Review in the 80s and 90s.You might as well be asking turkeys to approve of Xmas.UK NRA frowned outright on the "damnbly unsporting " and should be used only by "military and police only".[Proably they were saying the same thing a 120 years before when those confounded bolt actions were showing up amongst the sporting single shot rifles!!!] They were the most established group in the UK,but were absolutely pathetic in response in any shape to the Hungerford incident.
    Just picked up the comment on the new Labour consultation paper in this weeks shooting times,the next thing seems to be,crossbows replicas,deacts,air guns of any type and most importantly increasing the age limit to 18 for any type of firearm use.All this to counteract the "yob culture"
    Dont seem to learn over there.The gun bans worked really well,yet gun crime is now higher than before the ban.So now this will really sort out all the ills of society over there. I would really hate to be a shooting person in Little Britan these days.

Have a look at the Taurus revolvers that are sold in the UK.The back piece is definately a wrist brace ,not a counterweight.
    Yes, but that's not what the NSRA and Tom Redhead were taking court action to see returned, they were focusing on the ISSF 50m pistol event (and before anyone says it, they were doing so because that's their job - if they were to wade in on the fullbore stuff, you'd find that the "we must all stand together" chorus would rapidly become a serious of shouts centering on whose toes people were standing on...).
    They were the most established group in the UK,but were absolutely pathetic in response in any shape to the Hungerford incident.
    You mean that a small group comprising a decided minority among the electorate were unable to convince the government that not banning AK47s would net them more votes than "doing something" after a nutter with a perfectly legal licence wandered the streets of Hungerford shooting people? Hmmm. Who'd have thunk it?

Look, the NRA's job over there is similar to the NSRA's, but for fullbore shooters. It's to run the sport - not to do political lobbying. They're too small and too underfunded to do the latter, and spending money on lobbying when they could be spending it on maintainance of ranges or coaching or whatever, would be contrary to their duties as a governing body. And while shooters could in theory, fund and run a version of the US NRA's ILA body, few would do so. That's the nature of things. Hell, even in the US, that's the nature of things. The NRA may be enormous in the US, but it's still a small minority of shooters over there. Their numbers are just because there are more shooters to start with.

Same story in this country too. We comprise in total, about 5% of the electorate at best (150,000 shooters, 3 million in the electorate). But we don't all vote as a block, and for good reasons. If there was a vote on whether or not we wanted firearms banned, well, we would vote en masse - but we don't get choices like that, ever. It's always more complicated. It's a choice of voting for a person, some of whose views and agenda you support and some you don't, and trying to pick the best match to you - but the match is never exact and it gets complicated when other priorities have to be considered. Do you vote for the guy who wants to protect firearms users at all costs, but who also wants to see morgage rates go up at least 15%? What's more important, your sport or your house? What about their feelings on foreign policy? Healthcare? Education? Infrastructural development? The economy? Policing? The odds of getting 150,000 people, most of whom don't see shooting as a hobby or sport, to agree on whom to vote for, well, they're long odds. And since we're spread out over the entire country, we couldn't even pick two or three TDs and elect them on a single-issue mandate. So basicly speaking, a serious reality check is needed when you start talking about political lobbying!

In short, there's only so much the bodies can do with the resources they have, and trying to fight 95% of the electoral vote isn't a good use of those resources. They do fight small battles that they have a good shot at winning - the court case over licencing 50m pistols, for example - but a Charge of the Light Brigade type of case wouldn't just be hopeless, it'd be an abdication of their primary responsibility - to run the sport. (In fact, if you check the NRA website you'll note that their "mission statement" is tied heavily into being loyal to the UK government and has been since the 1870s. For them to turn around and start lobbying against them would be a major thing - their charter is to work within the system, not call for it to be brought down).

Maybe if we could improve the odds, there'd be a point in trying. That's why the PR is such a big deal - over here 95% of the electorate don't know much about firearms and all they do know tells them that there are five kinds of people in Ireland that use them - terrorists, armed criminals, army/armed gardai, hunters (as in, the-bastards-who-shot-bambi's-mom, rather than the conservation part of hunting) and "nutters". They don't think sportsmen and they definitely don't think "harmless fun". They don't know enough about firearms to do so. Now that we could address, but until we do (and I mean professionally, hiring a PR company to do the job), forget about making any political impact unless you win the UK lottery and feel like handing a few million over in brown envelopes! :D

(and the fact that good PR makes getting money into the sport easier through sponsorship and advertising and grants is a nifty byproduct...)
    Dont seem to learn over there.The gun bans worked really well,yet gun crime is now higher than before the ban.
    Yup, life's unfair, isn't it?
    Mind you, I've yet to hear of a law being overturned on it's logical merits. Even things like book-burning (which we were still doing here not too long ago) wasn't overturned on it's merits, but because public opinion swung against it. And even that's not enough here sometimes - just look at the history of bin taxes!

You mean that a small group comprising a decided minority among the electorate were unable to convince the government that not banning AK47s would net them more votes than "doing something" after a nutter with a perfectly legal licence wandered the streets of Hungerford shooting people? Hmmm. Who'd have thunk it?
    Hmmm ,well maybe a group that was biased already against a specific type of weapon and it was good appeasement to sell it down the river? bye bye semi autos and lage capacity shotguns.
    Next atrocity,maybe it would be a good appasement to sell down the river the "rambo style" practical pistol shooters that olympic style target 22 pistol shooting survives.Adios large calibre pistols,one month later sayorna 22 pistols.Next appasement will be.....??not much point then in training programmes or whatever if you havent got anything to shoot.What I am saying is that there was no flexibility in thought or reaction to the causes,execpt dignified silences or throwing somone else to the lions.

Look, the NRA's job over there is similar to the NSRA's, but for fullbore shooters. It's to run the sport - not to do political lobbying. They're too small and too underfunded to do the latter, and spending money on lobbying when they could be spending it on maintainance of ranges or coaching or whatever, would be contrary to their duties as a governing body
    Whose fault is that??The members of the board in not preciving the winds of change and preparing for it or those who vote them onto the board?

And while shooters could in theory, fund and run a version of the US NRA's ILA body, few would do so. That's the nature of things. Hell, even in the US, that's the nature of things.

Have this question EVER been put to the members of any shooting organisation in the last decade.In this litigation happy society maybe it is a point worth mentioning,and maybe the answer might be very surprising.

The odds of getting 150,000 people, most of whom don't see shooting as a hobby or sport,
    What do they see it as then?
    So basicly speaking, a serious reality check is needed when you start talking about political lobbying

Oh I'd say a few of the ol brown paper envelopes would work wonders in the right pockets :rolleyes: Sure,havent we the best politicans money can buy in Europe??? :rolleyes:
    Isnt it the way busisness is done in this great little county of ours? :D From land zoning to squishing DUI charges? If you cant beat them,join them. :rolleyes: Might as well be pragmatic about it.Money talks...BS walks.
    you'll note that their "mission statement" is tied heavily into being loyal to the UK government and has been since the 1870s. For them to turn around and start lobbying against them would be a major thing - their charter is to work within the system, not call for it to be brought down).

So their attitude to semis was all the more surprising,since they were originally set up as an organisation to foster markmanship with the general British public and for the yeomanry with "the current military arms of the day".[So the SMLE was still current issue in 1986? :rolleyes: ]The UK NRA in it's thinking seems to have been back in the turn of the last centuary.It was nothing to do with going against HM govt,it was a question of sticking up for a certain section of their organisation.It was unfortunate that when Hungerford happend it seems the NRA was filled with hide bound traditionals,who had never had to handle anything like it before.There was no contingency plans,just run for cover.As one editorial had it in guns review."yesterdays men"

Maybe if we could improve the odds, there'd be a point in trying. That's why the PR is such a big deal - over here 95% of the electorate don't know much about firearms and all they do know tells them that there are five kinds of people in Ireland that use them - terrorists, armed criminals, army/armed gardai, hunters (as in, the-bastards-who-shot-bambi's-mom, rather than the conservation part of hunting) and "nutters". They don't think sportsmen and they definitely don't think "harmless fun". They don't know enough about firearms to do so. Now that we could address, but until we do (and I mean professionally, hiring a PR company to do the job), forget about making any political impact unless you win the UK lottery and feel like handing a few million over in brown envelopes! :D

If I had it I would,and I would certainly see to it being more proactive and trying to be more umbrella and rigidly run than what is here at the moment.
    This perpetual bitching and infighting,and me fein attitude that seems to plauge EVERY Irish organisation from the word go,is keeping a small enough force disorganised and scatterd,and easily run over by those in power.Wouldnt we think that by now we are all shooters no matter what we shoot we are stronger united than seperate.OK have the seperate entities looking after their disiplines but at least have some coherance when it comes to national policy on the law or threat to one paticular disipline.

Yup, life's unfair, isn't it?
    Mind you, I've yet to hear of a law being overturned on it's logical merits

Errr the Volstead act AKA prohibition?

Flattop 15 wrote:
    Hmmm ,well maybe a group that was biased already against a specific type of weapon and it was good appeasement to sell it down the river?
    Or anyone else who took a cold look at the actual situation. The only way it could have been averted would have been a very expensive, very nasty campaign against the people who were shot and the police force.
    Next atrocity,maybe it would be a good appasement to sell down the river the "rambo style" practical pistol shooters that olympic style target 22 pistol shooting survives.
    I think you'll probably find that that's totally out of whack with what went on. Did the NSRA do all they could theoretically have done? No. Did they do all they could afford to do, however, isn't so simple a question. Especially when you consider that they're labouring under a million-euro debt at the moment. Plus, the NSRA's job is to look after ISSF shooters. Not practical shooting, not fullbore rifles, not shotguns, just ISSF rifle and pistol shooters. It's a very clear demarcation and had they stepped outside it, they would have been stepping on toes. There were already bodies there to look out for the interests of practical pistol and just about every other kind of shooting going.

And if you think that anyone in sports administration today has the moral high ground needed to accuse other bodies of selling people down the river, you'd be sorely misinformed.
    What I am saying is that there was no flexibility in thought or reaction to the causes,execpt dignified silences or throwing somone else to the lions.
    What would you have suggested that they do then, given the limitiations on their resources, and the responsibilities and duties they were legally obliged to discharge?
    Whose fault is that??The members of the board in not preciving the winds of change and preparing for it or those who vote them onto the board?
    Peceiving the winds of change? What, you mean they were meant to predict Hungerford?
    And don't forget, the NRA, unlike some Irish bodies, is bound by law to adhere to its charter. It couldn't just turn around and completly change the rules, goals and makeup of the organisation and decide to expend resources on whatever its committee wanted to.
    Have this question EVER been put to the members of any shooting organisation in the last decade.In this litigation happy society maybe it is a point worth mentioning,and maybe the answer might be very surprising.
    It was - that's how FLAG got set up. Last time I looked, they had raised about four to five month's salary at the average industrial wage, from all the shooters in the country. That's about one thirtieth of how much cash you'd get if every shooter in the country gave one euro to a central fund. Does that give you pause for thought at all?
    What do they see it as then?
    A way to keep crows off crops or dogs/foxes off sheep or whatever - in other words, the meat farmer's version of spraying with pesticide.
    Might as well be pragmatic about it.Money talks...BS walks.
    Yup. Money - or votes. Seems that realistically, we don't have much of either to offer. And righteous logic on our side isn't much of a substitute for either, I'm afraid.
    it was a question of sticking up for a certain section of their organisation.
    ...at a time when a fully legal, fully paid-up member of that section had just walked through a town with an AK-47 and shot sixteen people.
    I'm at a loss as to how you successfully defend that section after that kind of incident. In fact, the pragmatic "cut 'em loose to save the rest" approach actually has merit. Remember, a total ban was a possibility at the time. Ryan had used pistols, an AK-47, even an air rifle in the days before the shooting. And, even though it was because the people in the area hadn't reported him to the cops, he was a fully licenced shooter with all the right paperwork at the time. The response of "well, in that case, it's obviously too dangerous even with the controls" would have been far too easy for government to have taken, and all that would have been left would have been shotguns and starting pistols and maybe airguns.

The simple fact was that the only way to have defended that section was to have enforced their self-policing before Hungerford and to prevent the accident. But you can imagine the response that would have brought on!
    It was unfortunate that when Hungerford happend it seems the NRA was filled with hide bound traditionals,who had never had to handle anything like it before.There was no contingency plans,just run for cover.As one editorial had it in guns review."yesterdays men"
    You've just described many of the Irish organisations as well, of course, but there you go...
    If I had it I would
    And that would make you a rather unique individual!
    I mean, if I had that amount of cash, I can think of many things I'd do with the money, but precious few of them would have anything to do with political lobbying. I've put my hand in my pocket for that before when FLAG was set up over here, and in return got no information on what was being planned, done, thought about, or anything else. Hand over more money to that kind of a setup? No thanks. Cash prizes in competitions, sending people to coaching and training courses, buying equipment for clubs, sponsoring shooting teams, that kind of thing, yes. But just handing over cash for a war chest with no accountability, no plan, no information given back? No thanks.
    ,and I would certainly see to it being more proactive and trying to be more umbrella and rigidly run than what is here at the moment.
    I don't know why. Umbrella groups just don't work. Community setups do. That way there can be several groups with different agendas who are equal, not subservient to an umbrella body whose committee are not elected by general vote as with the NRPAI in Ireland at the moment. The whole idea of umbrella groups came about because governments wanted one contact point anyway, it's an administration thing rather than a good idea for the sport. Just look at the other umbrella sporting groups in Ireland today and you'll see a lot of what we see on our end of things. It's not just us, y'know...
    Wouldnt we think that by now we are all shooters no matter what we shoot
    Nope. I've got nothing to do with guys like Hamilton or Ryan, but guess what - in an umbrella group, they were of the same status as olympic champions and ordinary club shooters, and so everyone hung together.
    we are stronger united than seperate.
    I'd suggest a quick perusal through Irish history on the topic of uniting Irishmen in any endeavour :D
    Plus, I'd point out that even if all shooters voted en masse, we'd still be only 5% of the electorate.
    Plus, ever tried getting shooters to part with cash to pay for all this? There are some who'll give all they have, but they're rather rare. Quite a lot, well, let's say they're very thrifty :D And quite a lot just don't have it to give. This is their hobby, as opposed to their sport. They do it for fun, for recreation. And they do it on a strict budget because putting food on the table for the kids is more important.
    OK have the seperate entities looking after their disiplines but at least have some coherance when it comes to national policy on the law or threat to one paticular disipline.
    Coherence at the price of autonomy? No thanks. For a start, it's technically illegal for groups like the NTSA who have a legal duty to look after ISSF shooting first.
    Errr the Volstead act AKA prohibition?
    Repealed because the public liked beer. Not because it was illogical. At the root of it, all laws that get repealed are repealed because the majority wish it, not because of their inherent logic or lack thereof.

• Advertisement

Flattop - myself and the user formally known as Irish Glock Fan had a rather heated deabte before on matters that were similar in nature to this, others joined in and it showed the divided nature of Irish fire arms users.

Have a read though it, i think the topic was the Glasgow Airgun incident, it highlights the different perceptions that irish shooters have of shooting

[
    QUOTE]Repealed because the public liked beer. Not because it was illogical. At the root of it, all laws that get repealed are repealed because the majority wish it, not because of their inherent logic or lack thereof

Nope,in the end it was costing the US Govt too much in lost revenue,it was impossible to enforce anyway and costing too much socially and politically in the US.So it was done away with logically.

FECK!!!!! I have just lost a 2 hour worth of typing of a reply to this!.(*&%$Computor!!
    We can trash out to the end of days the ability or inability of the UK shooting groups to respond or not respond to tragdys.What happened on those days,is now history and tragedy for both shooters and the families of the killed.How big or how small Irish shooting groups are,who or what is right and who is wrong,who is the best rep of us all,and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin??

But I think I can sumerise this all by saying.Which way now for Irish shooting???Do we continue on our seperate autonomus ways,me feining it as we go?Or what?One thing I do know ,whatever way we go we will have ONE CHANCE only to do this right.If this is screwd up we might as well look forward to another 60 years of gunwithdrawal or outright bans.I really hope that the committies of ALL shooting sports in this country are going to be up to this.[From what I have seen of the infighting,bitching and moaning about them all amongst themselves,I am worried :( ]Otherwise the blame game will be somthing really intresting to watch!!

But I think I can sumerise this all by saying.Which way now for Irish shooting?
    You're missing the point of having the discussion at all there though - which is, how do we stop such a thing happening here. And the answer, basicly, is to not let something as serious as Hungerford or Dunblane happen here. Learn the lessons involved and then make the hard choice of policing ourselves lest we be policed. And that will be a hard choice, because it will in effect mean that we'll have to report serious problems to other people; and that's something our national psyche has a massive taboo on.

But - had that been done in Hungerford when Ryan shot at his neighbours with an air rifle, or when he came to work with a pistol in his belt and knife in his boot - it's probable that he'd have had his cert revoked and while he might still have gone on a spree, it wouldn't have been with an AK-47, and the resulting ban wouldn't have come about.
    Do we continue on our seperate autonomus ways,me feining it as we go?
    Autonomy does not mean taking a Me Fein attitude. Example; clubs are independent and autonomous, yet they manage to get along together most of the time. Another example; NTSA coaches coach Pony Club shooters - and out of that, the Pony Club gets the benefit of a lot of the NTSA's experience with air rifle, and the NTSA gets a lot of talented junior shooters who drift their way for shooting.
    Autonomy is necessary for sporting bodies. Otherwise, you're promoting political infighting because you have different groups with dissimilar agendas and duties to pursue those agendas, all in competition for the same resources.
    Otherwise the blame game will be somthing really intresting to watch!!
    It always is. It seems to be the national passtime really. There are things we could be doing right now, and when we don't do them and it all goes sideways, the road taken is to find something to blame, rather than admit culpability, learn from the mistake, and move on. Everything from our own shooting (oh, it's the ammo/wind/light/rifle, not that I've not trained enough) to club-level stuff, to NGB-level stuff, all of it does that in one form or another.

[PHP]
    Sparks wrote:
    And that will be a hard choice, because it will in effect mean that we'll have to report serious problems to other people; and that's something our national psyche has a massive taboo on. [/PHP]
    And how exactly do you propose to do this?Apart from the "tout"image,you would be leaving us open to be reported by anyone who has grudge against you or shooting sports in general.Ex spouses have in my experiance used this to get their husbands out of the house as well as deprive them of their guns and use this as evidence in family law courts to get terms of seperation.As you have said before we arent professional shrinks ,and even they cant say wether somone has a few screws loose unless they have them under observation for three plus weeks. It's a good idea but there are going to have to be some serious checks and balances put in place.Otherwise we will be living in a society where everyone is ratting on everyone else.Shades of the 3rd Reich.Not as if we arent doing this already with insurance rat lines,driving rat lines,litter rat lines, smoking in public places rat lines,whats next?Eating one burger too many in Mac Donalds rat line?
    Plus what do we do if we have reported somone who might be going postal and officaldom does nothing??Apart from making lots of excuses after the fact and banning firearms anyway?

[PHP]But - had that been done in Hungerford when Ryan shot at his neighbours with an air rifle, or when he came to work with a pistol in his belt and knife in his boot - it's probable that he'd have had his cert revoked and while he might still have gone on a spree, it wouldn't have been with an AK-47, and the resulting ban wouldn't have come about. [/PHP]

well,maybe another reason nothing was done about this was there was no independant witness of Ryan shooting at the neighbour?Their word against his.Ryan was working on a farm at the time,and whilst it is an odd place to carry a knife,it wasnt at the time illegal to do so as he wasnt in a public place and he would have had "good reason" even if stopped.The gun I cant comment on,but again remember the law wasnt as stringet or paranoid as it is now.Plus one other thing,all this came out after the incident,and there is a tendency after such events to exeggerate,make up and blow out of proportion things that happend in the past by sensationlstic books and media personel,[Hungerford,one mans massacare ,springs to mind]not to mind demoniseing even further the perperator.Got to ask yourself,if everyone was so concerned why wasnt there a bunch of complaints in the station,and if there was why didnt the police act on them?Saying I thought somone else would report it just does not wash.

[PHP]Autonomy does not mean taking a Me Fein attitude. Example; clubs are independent and autonomous, yet they manage to get along together most of the time[/PHP]
    Good, I hope to see then all of the independant organisations rowing in to help each other if somthing goes wrong or the govt decides to ban or restict some type of shooting disipline ortype of gun.
    Why d I have a feeling I will be disappointed,and the response will be "me fein,it has nothing to do with OUR shoting disipline." :(

Flattop 15 wrote:
    And how exactly do you propose to do this?
    A damn good question. And one that noone's actually sat down and looked at. We don't have any mechanisms other than going straight to the gardai, and with the degree of general firearms law knowlege that most gardai accumulate, "interesting" results might well ensue!

Seriously though, picture this. Someone's expelled from a rifle club or gun club for repeated unsafe behaviour, or something equally serious. It's quite rare, thankfully, but it has happened. They go to a new club to join up. That club has no way of checking this person's background. That's the kind of thing that led to Hamilton bouncing from club to club to club prior to the Dunblane shooting. And even better, we can't get the Gardai to do background checks (which is needed for coaches because of the Code of Ethics for Children in Sport and the associated legislation). And even better still, the libel laws and a dozen other lovely legal nightmares raise their heads when you actually act on any information you receive on someone's background.

And yet, if we don't do something, we may (though we all hope we won't) one day wind up in the same situation that the NRA found themselves in after Hungerford, with the entire electorate screaming for blood and every political group out there trying to write the most stringent set of anti-firearms legislation possible, with votes as the prize. And with all the best will in the world, in that situation you're pretty much sunk before you start and damage limitation is the only realistic solution that's available.
    Otherwise we will be living in a society where everyone is ratting on everyone else.
    And the choice of language and metaphor illustrates the problem that I was talking about!
    Plus what do we do if we have reported somone who might be going postal and officaldom does nothing??Apart from making lots of excuses after the fact and banning firearms anyway?
    You'd find your starting position was far better though. That's the problem the NRA had - they'd no way to say "it's the police's fault" after Hungerford, either in the press or in the courts, because the police had never been told there was a problem. And while the NSRA might have done so after Dunblane, they unfortunately believed that New Labour wouldn't break the agreement to wait for the outcome of the enquiry. Instead, they got made a scapegoat. Easy to see with hindsight, perhaps not so at the time.
    It wouldn't automatically save the sport, in other words, but it would improve your odds significantly.
    well,maybe another reason nothing was done about this was there was no independant witness of Ryan shooting at the neighbour?
    But he was officially disciplined at work for showing up with a pistol in his belt and a knife in his boot. And he admitted to having done so in an official context as a result of that disciplinary process.
    he would have had "good reason" even if stopped.
    Not really. He wasn't so much working on a farm as near one, putting up fenceposts if I remember correctly. And he specifically claimed the knife and gun were for self-defence, not any practical purpose when disciplined by his employer, who never mentioned the incident to the cops.
    The gun I cant comment on,but again remember the law wasnt as stringet or paranoid as it is now.
    Actually it was, it was sufficient to have seen his FAC revoked.
    Got to ask yourself,if everyone was so concerned why wasnt there a bunch of complaints in the station,and if there was why didnt the police act on them?Saying I thought somone else would report it just does not wash.
    And yet, it seems to have been what happened - that and the taboo against "ratting out" someone even when they're actually doing something as exceptionally irresponsible as actually shooting at people with an air rifle.
    Good, I hope to see then all of the independant organisations rowing in to help each other if somthing goes wrong or the govt decides to ban or restict some type of shooting disipline ortype of gun. Why d I have a feeling I will be disappointed,and the response will be "me fein,it has nothing to do with OUR shoting disipline." :(
    You might be right - but how are you proposing to stop that? Enforcing a particular "party line" to be taken? And how would that work? If a national body tried to enforce a set party line on anything that a club or individual was sufficiently opposed to, they'd just quit that national body. It's happened before to the NRPAI with at least three major clubs in this country in recent years, on less contentious issues.

The simple fact is, either people will freely agree to work on something together, or they won't. You can't force them into doing so by enforcing a structure on them, you have to show them what they gain by doing so. You want competitions to be more popular? You can't order people to go, you have to run the competitions better, provide better prizes, publicise them more and so on. Same story with political stuff. You want them to do a certain thing, you can't order them to do so, you have to show them why doing it is in their best interests. Likewise, you can't order them not to do it. Take the fullbore rifle organising that's going on right now. A few years ago, the NRPAI stomped on the idea of a new body to look after things like Class F and NRA-style shooting when they came to the NRPAI AGM to ask to be recognised. Did it stop fullbore being organised? I haven't seen the sport die since, have you? :D This myth that a single body governing the sport would solve all our problems is a pretty silly one, when you look at it...

And yet, if we don't do something, we may (though we all hope we won't) one day wind up in the same situation that the NRA found themselves in after Hungerford, with the entire electorate screaming for blood and every political group out there trying to write the most stringent set of anti-firearms legislation possible, with votes as the prize. And with all the best will in the world, in that situation you're pretty much sunk before you start and damage limitation is the only realistic solution that's available.
    Why not just simply put in a notice to the police that X has left,been dismissed for xyz reasons after the club appeal procedures of course,or has moved to another club?covers the club nicely and gives the police a reason to review of the liscense

And the choice of language and metaphor illustrates the problem that I was talking about!
    Informing,ratting,touting,doing public duty as a good citzen,denouncing anti social activities in the collective.Call it what you will it is the same thing.Just a common metaphor for informing.

They unfortunately believed that New Labour wouldn't break the agreement to wait for the outcome of the enquiry. Instead, they got made a scapegoat. Easy to see with hindsight, perhaps not so at the time.

Not saying I had a crystal ball,but when I heard the news on that March13th.I was going to apply to the SRA for club membership to get the Glock to Wales.I promptly tore up my application as I then knew the pistols were gone in the UK.The trend unoffically after Hungerford was in the UK to restrict ALL firearms in any possible way.That was another coffin nail or better still the stake in the heart. Now if some gobdaw like me could see that one coming,I am amazed the organisations didnt see it.
    As for Conservative or Labour or whatever,how anyone can trust a political party to not vote against the public will on a vote gathering,we are doing somthing emotive issue.Well,thats like asking sharks not to bite a certain person in a feeding frenzy.

But he was officially disciplined at work for showing up with a pistol in his belt and a knife in his boot. And he admitted to having done so in an official context as a result of that disciplinary process.
    Not really. He wasn't so much working on a farm as near one, putting up fenceposts if I remember correctly. And he specifically claimed the knife and gun were for self-defence, not any practical purpose when disciplined by his employer, who never mentioned the incident to the cops.

See what I mean by bad over zealous reporting?

You might be right - but how are you proposing to stop that? Enforcing a particular "party line" to be taken? And how would that work? If a national body tried to enforce a set party line on anything that a club or individual was sufficiently opposed to, they'd just quit that national body. It's happened before to the NRPAI with at least three major clubs in this country in recent years, on less contentious issues.

The simple fact is, either people will freely agree to work on something together, or they won't. You can't force them into doing so by enforcing a structure on them, you have to show them what they gain by doing so. You want competitions to be more popular? You can't order people to go, you have to run the competitions better, provide better prizes, publicise them more and so on. Same story with political stuff. You want them to do a certain thing, you can't order them to do so, you have to show them why doing it is in their best interests. Likewise, you can't order them not to do it. Take the fullbore rifle organising that's going on right now. A few years ago, the NRPAI stomped on the idea of a new body to look after things like Class F and NRA-style shooting when they came to the NRPAI AGM to ask to be recognised. Did it stop fullbore being organised? I haven't seen the sport die since, have you? :D This myth that a single body governing the sport would solve all our problems is a pretty silly one, when you look at it...
    [/QUOTE]

Sparks,
    I am not saying that there should be a dictatorship of ein body,ein organisation ,ein furhrer!And have never said that. All I am saying is is it possible for the collective bodies repsenting shooting sports in Ireland to come up with a joint statement of mutual support if there is a attack on a paticular section of the sport, or it in general? IE that one organisation doesn't back stab or run down another to get some teneous or political gain???Nothing more or nothing less!! That would be somthing already.Or did I just answer my own question???

Why not just simply put in a notice to the police that X has left,been dismissed for xyz reasons after the club appeal procedures of course,or has moved to another club?covers the club nicely and gives the police a reason to review of the liscense
    And Finagle help the first club that tries that without legal cover!
    Informing,ratting,touting,doing public duty as a good citzen,denouncing anti social activities in the collective.Call it what you will it is the same thing.Just a common metaphor for informing.
    And letting the police know that you've been shot at deliberately is informing, is it? What if it was someone else who was shot at? What if it was just someone letting rounds fly off at random? Where does it stop being responsible adult behaviour and start being ratting? And at what point do you change from notifying the club to notifying the police?
    As for Conservative or Labour or whatever,how anyone can trust a political party to not vote against the public will on a vote gathering,we are doing somthing emotive issue.Well,thats like asking sharks not to bite a certain person in a feeding frenzy.
    Today, that's certainly true. Back then, government by focus group was a rather new thing in the UK and noone could have reasonably predicted how things were going to go.
    IE that one organisation doesn't back stab or run down another to get some teneous or political gain???Nothing more or nothing less!! That would be somthing already.Or did I just answer my own question???
    To be fair Glock, I don't think that we've ever had that situation (and the NTSA's certainly been on the receiving end often enough for us to know) where we all pull together; but if it was a case that a group hadn't done something irresponsible and we were penalised anyway, that there would be mutual support providing nothing dodgy had been going on (and provided the organisations ran according to their own rules, instead of the committees getting personal). I mean, if it turns out that someone was doing something wildly illegal and they got stepped on for it, it's a bit rich to expect others to throw themselves in front of the bullet for them...

Sparks wrote:
    And Finagle help the first club that tries that without legal cover!

Why?If it was with accordance with club rules,which presumeably the person will have read,understood and signed off on as an adult.If they have an appeale procedure in place in the club,and they are still found at fault,they havent got much of a case.
    And letting the police know that you've been shot at deliberately is informing, is it? What if it was someone else who was shot at? What if it was just someone letting rounds fly off at random? Where does it stop being responsible adult behaviour and start being ratting? And at what point do you change from notifying the club to notifying the police?

SIGH........ No Sparks!!.What I am saying is there are two different situations here,criminal activity and vexatious,annoying and spiteful claims[sub heading also currying favour with authorithy]
    Yes,if you have been shot at of course report it.But if you have a problem with shooters are an anti gun nut and want shooting banned and happen to live next door to one.Does this give you a liscense to exercise your prejudices and become an unpaid snoop and general busybody against shooting?
    This has happened now in the UK,where piegon shooters have been arrested by armed police squads,because some old paranoid biddy reported "armed terrorists" out shooting protected birds. Responsibility also implies some form of basic intelligence as well.
    If it is outright criminal activity report to the police logically.In a club situation do a three strikes and you are out for insurbordination to the rules.Depending on the gravatis of course.If he shows up with full auto or illegal weapons not on his ticket,or shows up drunk or drugged and goes shooting for example.Thats up to the club to set up.But is running to the comittee with a "Oh he was very glum and shot ten mags worth ,when he usually shot eight and said he was pissed off with his job.".How do you dicipher that cooment.Do you call the ERU?note it in the personal records or sit down with the guy over a cup of coffee and try to find out his mindset,then make a decision??
    Today, that's certainly true. Back then, government by focus group was a rather new thing in the UK and noone could have reasonably predicted how things were going to go.
    Hmmm,call me a cynical pessemist but anything to do with firearms and our society in these isles here would only be a negative outcome,past and present.[Present Irish situation excepted and still the jury is out on how it might go].I hate to say it but we are great at bolting doors after the entire farm herd is gone.After the incident we go and slam hasty law into place that is inappropriate to the event.

;
    but if it was a case that a group hadn't done something irresponsible and we were penalised anyway, that there would be mutual support providing nothing dodgy had been going on (and provided the organisations ran according to their own rules, instead of the committees getting personal).
    And we come back down to what is dodgey behaviour classified as?And how do you deal with it on a club level without going overboard on personal surveillance?
    I mean, if it turns out that someone was doing something wildly illegal and they got stepped on for it, it's a bit rich to expect others to throw themselves in front of the bullet for them

Now, this is the thing.If you had a ligit shooter that has done it all by the book,who suddenly goes off the rails.What happens then?He "did" nothing illegal,just snapped mentally.How do we handle that?

Flattop 15 wrote:
    Why?If it was with accordance with club rules,which presumeably the person will have read,understood and signed off on as an adult.If they have an appeale procedure in place in the club,and they are still found at fault,they havent got much of a case.
    Firstly, I don't know of too many clubs that actually have disciplinary procedures that are codified and documented, which the law would demand.
    Secondly, in any such procedure, you're entitled to have legal counsel present, so people are going to be antsy from the get-go.
    Thirdly, you're talking about a public statement against someone's character, which could affect their membership of clubs, ownership of firearms and so on - that's pretty serious, sufficiently so for someone who liked to shoot to get a soliciter in to try to prevent it.

To be safe, you'd want to have your procedures thought through, written down and possibly even vetted by a soliciter. And you'd want to stick to them like glue. We are living, don't forget, in the second most litigious country in the world today.

Yes,if you have been shot at of course report it.But if you have a problem with shooters are an anti gun nut and want shooting banned and happen to live next door to one.Does this give you a liscense to exercise your prejudices and become an unpaid snoop and general busybody against shooting?
    I'm not seeing your point here. If you happen to live next door to someone who's vehemently opposed to shooting, he's going to be snooping on you regardless of how we handle the problem of self-policing. He's just going to go directly to the gardai instead of through a shooting club or body.
    This has happened now in the UK,where piegon shooters have been arrested by armed police squads,because some old paranoid biddy reported "armed terrorists" out shooting protected birds. Responsibility also implies some form of basic intelligence as well.
    Exactly my point - this is happening right now without us doing anything. So if we were to draft procedures for handling this problem, it's not going to make anything worse!
    If it is outright criminal activity report to the police logically.In a club situation do a three strikes and you are out for insurbordination to the rules.Depending on the gravatis of course.If he shows up with full auto or illegal weapons not on his ticket,or shows up drunk or drugged and goes shooting for example.Thats up to the club to set up.But is running to the comittee with a "Oh he was very glum and shot ten mags worth ,when he usually shot eight and said he was pissed off with his job.".How do you dicipher that cooment.Do you call the ERU?note it in the personal records or sit down with the guy over a cup of coffee and try to find out his mindset,then make a decision??
    And that is exactly what I'm saying we need to be considering. Right now, everyone plays it by ear, and the result is the same system we find so unacceptable with Garda Superintendents each having different standards, except here, there are more people involved, so even more variation.
    And we come back down to what is dodgey behaviour classified as?And how do you deal with it on a club level without going overboard on personal surveillance?
    Which are some of the questions I'm saying we need to be asking ourselves and discussing the answers until we have a well-thrashed out set of ideas, and then write them down.
    Now, this is the thing.If you had a ligit shooter that has done it all by the book,who suddenly goes off the rails.What happens then?He "did" nothing illegal,just snapped mentally.How do we handle that?
    Not enough data on your scenario, because that could be interpreted (by reading just the police records) as what happened in Hungerford. Thing is, in reality, it's unbelievably rare. You don't just go through a psychotic break without prior warning - it takes a lot of stress on a person to cause one, usually over a prolonged period. You would notice something. Signs (fairly big flashing neon ones) were there for Hungerford and Dunblane and Abbeylara - you have to see them and be willing to act on them, and know how you'll act on them.

To be safe, you'd want to have your procedures thought through, written down and possibly even vetted by a soliciter. And you'd want to stick to them like glue. We are living, don't forget, in the second most litigious country in the world today.

Pretty much quid pro quo these days with anything these days,to get solicitors involved.Nothing alarming there.

I'm not seeing your point here. If you happen to live next door to someone who's vehemently opposed to shooting, he's going to be snooping on you regardless of how we handle the problem of self-policing. He's just going to go directly to the gardai instead of through a shooting club or body.
    What I am saying is that if you give EVERYONE the chance to snoop and rat on us.It will be open season on us. Example Had a tiff with the missus about the late dinner,mr anti gun hears this and is off to the gaurds to report a simple domestic tiff as a major possibility of mr gunowner going off on a killing spree.Belive it or not there is already such a law in the US courtsey of Mr Klintoon.You get divorced ,all the missus has to do if she is pissed off enough with you is claim a once off domestic violence situation. Say adios your guns or if you are LEO or military,say Hello to your new beat behind a desk without any access to firearms.Very difficult to appeal.Do we wnat to go down that kind of a route,with the added problem of total strangers being able to do this to you?
    Exactly my point - this is happening right now without us doing anything. So if we were to draft procedures for handling this problem, it's not going to make anything worse!

How is this part of a ligitmate shooters problem???It is more a problem of an ignorant paranoid police force and a bigoted townie living in the country.
    A more logical response would be is educating a police force that "armed terrorists" generally do NOT go piegon hunting with shotguns! Nor is the common wood piegon a totally protected spieces! Let me know when you can come up with some way of educating the whole police forces and people who think the countryside is a real life version of Emmerdale combined with bambi.
    And that is exactly what I'm saying we need to be considering. Right now, everyone plays it by ear, and the result is the same system we find so unacceptable with Garda Superintendents each having different standards, except here, there are more people involved, so even more variation.
    Yes,and doesnt this require the collective shooting bodies getting together and coming up with some workable format on this?But if they all want to stay autnomus as possible minding their own busisness,and producing what is acceptable to their respective disiplines.We will be no better off than before.Sorry Sparks this part WILL require some type of unification and agreement on common policy.And THAT I would rate as the 13th Herculan task.

Which are some of the questions I'm saying we need to be asking ourselves and discussing the answers until we have a well-thrashed out set of ideas, and then write them down.

Not enough data on your scenario, because that could be interpreted (by reading just the police records) as what happened in Hungerford. Thing is, in reality, it's unbelievably rare. You don't just go through a psychotic break without prior warning - it takes a lot of stress on a person to cause one, usually over a prolonged period. You would notice something.

Signs (fairly big flashing neon ones) were there for Hungerford and Dunblane and Abbeylara - you have to see them and be willing to act on them, and know how you'll act on them

Hmm lets seee.Quiet loners, who wernt actually very gregarious,few if any friends,lived by themselves or with close family members.Two were considerd "outsiders" and "weird"All had some previous brushes with the law which were in the misdemeanour or felony category,which were in themselves enough to prevent them owning firearms,and which none of the respective police forces picked up on.Also in the Abbylara case which I put as odd man out due to the fact he wasnt a member of a gun club[A GPA doesnt really count],and didnt go off on a killing spree,and was actually killed by LEOs.So how do you get into people like that.I am naturally quiet,I dont open up to people unless I know them well for a long time.So does that make all quiet,reserved people who shoot potential Ryans or Hamiltons?
    It's too open to abuse or misinterpertation.
    Then you are back to getting professional mental doctors involved again,with all the can of worms that applies.No thanks,maybe if they introduce it for our drivers liscenses,as there are more nuts behind the wheels than nuts behind the butts in this world.

• Advertisement

Flattop 15 wrote:
    Pretty much quid pro quo these days with anything these days,to get solicitors involved.Nothing alarming there.
    Well, you may be used to it, it still sets my hair on end to have to bring in a soliciter on things!
    What I am saying is that if you give EVERYONE the chance to snoop and rat on us.It will be open season on us.
    And what I am saying is that right now EVERYONE has the chance to snoop and "rat" on us. My neighbours certainly would if I started shooting my .22 at the tree in the back yard. So thinking that taking self-policing seriously is going to make things worse is a bit puzzling.
    Do we wnat to go down that kind of a route,with the added problem of total strangers being able to do this to you?
    I hate to tell you this, but we're already at the far end of that road.
    How is this part of a ligitmate shooters problem?
    It shouldn't have to be, but it is. Life's unfair and the universe is hostile...
    A more logical response would be is educating a police force that "armed terrorists" generally do NOT go piegon hunting with shotguns!
    It'd be great if we could do that. And maybe in the future we will be able to - but for right now, we can't.
    Yes,and doesnt this require the collective shooting bodies getting together and coming up with some workable format on this?
    Sounds good to me - but then, only autonomous bodies can get together; the current setup would see the umbrella group draft a format and try to impose it on the members, followed by a lot of bad feeling and people telling the umbrella group to get stuffed.
    Sorry Sparks this part WILL require some type of unification and agreement on common policy.
    You know, I don't think it'd be vital. I think if it's a good idea, it just gets stolen.
    So does that make all quiet,reserved people who shoot potential Ryans or Hamiltons?
    Obviously not, no more than say, all gardai are uninformed anti-gun tyrants!
    However, all gun owners did share something with Ryan and Hamilton and McCarthy - they were all licenced. And the fact that they shouldn't have been doesn't seem to matter to the Powers That Be, probably on the basis that if the system can fail once, it can fail again. Which is why it's in our best interests to try to make the system work as smoothly and safely as possible...

Well now… I've started something here now! This will be a bit of a rant, so bear with me! This sort of discussion is impossible in England were most gun owners now accept that all guns will be banned in the next 10 years and do not want to do or say anything to hasten that day, and attack anyone who stands up and says NO!

Right, I can't speak for what's happening on the DoJ front as I'm not up to speed on the internal politics, it's been 30 years now since I lived there, but I can look in and see what has happend.

What you have achieved is something no other countries shooters have, you wound back the clock! When I heard last year that one chap had applied for and got a .22 free pistol I thought wow! No look at it, you got the lot back, even high powered self loaders!!!! Now that is absolutely bloody amazing!!!

You have 150,000 shooters in a population of 3,000,000, that's a much higher percentage than we have, we only have 700,000 in a population of 60,000,000. 5% can swing elections… you're not such a 'small minority' in Ireland.

So don't lose the plot squabbling over the fine points… you won the lottery so to speak. I see many shooters in Ireland complaining they have to licence their air pistols, to you I say, I would love to be in the situation were I could complain about the paperwork for my Pistol Permit. It's a small price to pay for the good of the sport. Here to shoot PP, we use CO2 pistols or Airsoft now…

Now 'Self Policing'… I don't see a problem in that, after all, if someone started showing up at the club dressed like rambo and blazing off 100's of rounds at Figure 11 targets but never shot scored cards I would report him to the club secretary who would tell the Police they might want to keep an eye on him.

Hungerford… the problem with Hungerford was there was no Public Enquiry to find out what went wrong. Things like the Police had a Tactical Firearms Unit just up the road but no way of contacting them to tell them there was an incident never came out. My personal opinion is that offering up the Hi Powered self loading rifles as a sacrificial lamb to buy off further restrictions on ALL shooters by the NRA indirectly gave us Dunblane. A major tightening across the board at the time would have meant Hamilton would never have been allowed to join a club or get a permit.

And as for Dunblane!!!!! Hamilton was banned from all the local clubs because they thought he was a nut, but the Police did nothing. He threatened a neighbour with a pistol, the Police came and did nothing. He had an unregistered pistol, the Police restrospectivly put it on his licence. He could not shoot at least three time that year to keep his licence current as no club would let him on their ranges, so the Police let him use their range. Concerns were raised repeatedly about suspicions of paedophiliac tendencies, the Police did nothing. He even asked at the local Police station just before the massacre how long it would take a Police Firearms Unit to respond to an incident and no alarm bells sounded! He asked at his local station if all Police station kept firearms available, and no alarm bells sounded He visited the school repeatedly and asked where and at what time the children had assembly and were where the fire exits to the gym, and nobody sounded alarm bells. He was trying YET AGAIN to set up another boys club after getting in trouble with his last one, he wrote to all the local school heads saying that the rumours about him being a pervert were untrue and accusing them of spreading them, but nothing happened.

What did he have to do to get attention??? Short of putting up a sign in big neon lights he could not possibly have made it more obvious he was a nutter!!!!!!

At at the end of it all, the Police walked away without blame, we all lost our guns, and the Deputy Chief Constable who reauthoried his licence took early retirement and went to live in Australia and has never spoken a word about the incident to anyone. And much of the secret evidence of Police blunders has been hidden away under the 100 year rule so we will never know the true story………

Rant over now!

Jimbo :)

An interesting article about Dunblane from the Scotsman Newspaper……

Who does the 100-year ban protect?

Dan McDougall

WHEN Thomas Hamilton killed 16 children and a teacher in a school gymnasium in March 1996, it seemed to the world like a spontaneous and inexplicable act of ?madness. But in fact, there were many warnings in the prelude to the Dunblane massacre. Most of them were ignored or brushed aside by the authorities.

For 20 years, Hamilton’s name was enough to raise a groan in the offices of Central Scotland Police. For some officers, the name meant paedophile. For others, it meant hundreds of hand-written complaints against Hamilton by his neighbours, Stirling District Council and the Scout Association. From 1977 to 1996, officers investigated Hamilton, yet for almost 20 years, the force’s firearms unit granted him a gun licence. Last night’s decision by Colin Boyd, QC, the Lord Advocate, to push for the publication of a secret police report compiled on Hamilton five years before the shooting may shed further light on why the misfit was able to carry out the atrocity.

At the Cullen inquiry into the massacre, Central Scotland Police’s most senior officers were accused of dereliction of duty. Their application of gun law was slack and complacent, it was claimed. Colin Campbell, QC, who represented Hamilton’s victims, told the inquiry. “But for the culpable failure by Central Scotland Police, it is probable that the events of 13 March at Dunblane primary school would not have occurred.”

A loner all his adult life, Hamilton had a confused childhood. After his father left when he was 18 months old, he was brought up by his grandparents, believing his mother to be his sister.

In his early twenties, Hamilton became a Boy Scout leader, but he was dismissed within a year after complaints about two weekend camps he conducted in Aviemore in 1974. The boys returned cold, wet and hungry, and had spent one night not, as promised, in a hostel, but in the back of Hamilton’s van. Brian Fairgrieve, a retired surgeon and former Scouting county commissioner for Stirlingshire, interviewed Hamilton after the complaints. He told police: “I formed the impression that he had a persecution complex, that he had delusions of grandeur, and I thought his actions were almost paranoiac.”

Mr Fairgrieve’s investigation led to Hamilton’s expulsion from the Scouts, but he formed his own boys’ clubs, holding gymnastics classes at a number of schools in central Scotland. His youth clubs were quasi-militaristic affairs, with great emphasis on physical exercise. The boys would drill, stripped to the waist, in all weather.
    George Robertson, then the shadow Scottish secretary, who lives in Dunblane, withdrew his son from one of the clubs in 1983 after watching what was going on. It was, he told the Cullen inquiry into the murders, “a bit like the Hitler youth”. His “gut feeling” that there was something wrong even led him to write to Michael Forsyth, the local MP and later Scottish secretary.

From November 1981, Hamilton hired school halls for 15 boys’ clubs from local authorities across the Central, Fife and Lothian regions. He held a Grade 5 certificate from the British Amateur Gymnastics Association, which permitted him to coach under supervision, but most of the activity was football. A summer camp run by Hamilton on Inchmoan Island on Loch Lomond was visited by police in July 1988, after one boy had returned home unhappy. The 13 boys appeared cold and inadequately dressed, the sleeping bags were damp. Although some said they were homesick and Hamilton would not allow them to phone their parents, none wished to leave with the officers. The procurator fiscal investigated stories from the boys that Hamilton had slapped them, but found their accounts contradictory. No action was taken, but an enraged Hamilton began to deluge police with complaints.

However, it is the complaints about another summer camp run by Hamilton, in Mullarochy Bay, Loch Lomond, in July 1991, that are believed to form the backbone of a police report, ordered by Lord Cullen to be protected from public view for a century.

The report, written by Detective Sergeant Paul Hughes, the former head of Central Scotland Police’s child protection unit, was damning, but only extracts of his investigation were revealed during the Cullen inquiry. Part of the report contained a passage from Mr Hughes recommending in 1991 that Hamilton’s gun licence be revoked. He wrote: “I am firmly of the opinion that Hamilton is an unsavoury character and an unstable personality. I would contend that Hamilton will be a risk to children whenever he has access to them and he appears to me to be an unsuitable person to possess a firearms certificate. It is my opinion that he is a devious and deceitful individual who is not to be trusted.”

The report was later overlooked by his superior, Douglas McMurdo, then deputy chief constable, because Hamilton had not been convicted of any crime.

The question now is whether the report did more than list abused children. Did it, as alleged, also contain damning evidence that Hamilton had friends in high places, or even that he was being protected by politicians? The decision on whether the public will gain access to it now lies with the Lord Advocate.
    They had key roles in tragedy investigation
    ?• LORD CULLEN: He made the decision to keep one of the most significant aspects of his inquiry into the Dunblane massacre away from public view for 100 years. The evidence given to the inquiry by Paul Hughes, the former head of Central Scotland’s police child protection unit, was deemed by Lord Cullen as too sensitive for public record as it contained details of boys Thomas Hamilton had abused during youth club summer camps. Now Scotland’s most senior judge, Lord Cullen was last year appointed as Lord President of the Court of Session. A judge since 1986, Lord Cullen has become an omnipresent figure in the public eye due to his high-profile roles heading the inquiries into some of Britain’s worst tragedies.

• DOUGLAS McMURDO: The former deputy chief constable of Central Scotland Police, resigned in 1996 after his force was harshly criticised following the publication of the Cullen report. From Sanquhar, Dumfries and Galloway, McMurdo broke down after five hours of intensive questioning at the height of the Cullen inquiry when he was directly accused of failing to act in 1991 when Detective Sergeant Paul Hughes, suggested to senior officers that Hamilton’s firearm certificate be revoked.

• GEORGE ROBERTSON: The current general secretary of NATO came into contact with Thomas Hamilton after he withdrew his son from a club run by the killer at Dunblane High School in 1983. Robertson, the son and brother of Scottish policemen and then Labour MP for Hamilton North, told the Cullen Inquiry he was concerned by the quasi-militaristic nature of the youth club.
    He later told Lord Cullen his "gut feeling" led him to believe something was wrong and that he raised his fears with Michael Forsyth the then MP for the Stirling constituency, which covered Dunblane,

• MICHAEL FORSYTH: The former Secretary of State for Scotland and MP for the Dunblane area at the time of the deaths. Mr Forsyth received a number of complaints from his constituents, about Thomas Hamilton’s conduct.
    Born into a lower-middle class family, the son of a garage owner in Montrose, Mr Forsyth later earned a political reputation as an arch-Thatcherite but lost his seat in the 1997 election.

QED to Away Team.
    He has summed up the point on reporting nicely.If the gun clubs ,the residents and VIPs were reporting this fellow and the police were doing nothing at all about it,where do you go then???
    On the other point of winning the lottery,indeed we have.Now lets go collect the prize .
    BUT in fairness to Sparks point we DO have to get somthing on paper that makes sure there is no fall back on us if a "doomsday "situation occurs.At least we could then turn around say XYZ was reported on such and such a date over a period of many years.What that will be ,or wether this will be just simply shoved under the carpet as this info was done in Dunblane I dunno,but at least we can say to them "told you so".

Well Flatop 15…

It's a hard one as you say, but at least you are starting off from a 'clean sheet of paper'… in that respect the 30 year ban did some good. We have 1987 and 1996 being dragged up and we get beaten over the head with it constantly.

It IS important to establish a proper monitoring system, the one we have now is the one we should have had after Hungerford but it was allowed to slip. I suppose your advantage is the Supreme Court allows you to challenge a government rulling, we can't. Here they banned all handguns and crime with them shot through the roof, so with a proper Judiciary (which we don't have), we could ask for a Judicial Review on the grounds that the ban was supposed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and it did nothing of the sort.

Now as to the system, it's not for me to poke my nose in, all I can offer is the system we have here that seems to have weeded out the 'nutjobs' quite successfully.

To apply for a licence for target shooting we need to be a member of a club for 6 months.

We need 2 referees, the Club Secretary and a 'Responsible Person' , such as a Priest, Bank Manager, Doctor.

We need a report from your Doctor that you are of sound mind with no mental illness.

We have too shoot regulary and log attendence, the Police check on this.

If the Secretary thinks you are behaving oddly, such as start talking lots of Rambo type nonsence, your attendence stops or you leave the club he has to report you to the Police.

You have to fit a gunsafe in your house, and have 'good' security on the house, deadlocks and stuff, no big problem with that, it provides somewere to keep the wifes jewellery as well! The Police do check it and sign it off.

Then you get a 'Home Interview' with your FEO who has a long talk with you about yourself, asks you about your views on things and that sort of thing to get a feel of the sort of person you are on your 'home ground'. Obviously, if you apply for a licence for Target Shooting and he comes to your house and finds copies of "Vigilantie Weekly" or "Combat Shooting for Beginners" he's going to be suspicious. Another reason for the home visits was that both Ryan and Hamilton would have stood out like sore thumbs at home, grown men living on their own or with their mothers in a very 'odd' domestic situation, lots of 'militaristic' paraphenalia and the like.

I hope it all goes well over there for you guys, and I'm sure it will. Although I must admit I have a bit of a vested interest as I hope to come home when I'm a bit older… and it would be nice to shoot a 'proper' handgun again.

Jimbo :)

Away Team wrote:
    Well Flatop 15…

It's a hard one as you say, but at least you are starting off from a 'clean sheet of paper'… in that respect the 30 year ban did some good. We have 1987 and 1996 being dragged up and we get beaten over the head with it constantly.

To apply for a licence for target shooting we need to be a member of a club for 6 months.
    Looks like that is becoming the norm over hereas well.But IMO too long.you will find out as much about somone in 3 months as you will in six.
    We need 2 referees, the Club Secretary and a 'Responsible Person' , such as a Priest, Bank Manager, Doctor.
    That I belive is causing some problems over there.Some people wont sign off on the cert.For over here,I havent a clue who my parish priest is[am agnostic anyway],my bank manager...so long as my credit and finance is in order he would sign off on anything,even if I came dressed up as Napoleon.Doctor,last saw mine five years ago,plus he is a shooter himself.
    We need a report from your Doctor that you are of sound mind with no mental illness.
    See my above point,plus the fact there is a question over here of privacy and doctor/patient confidentially.

We have too shoot regulary and log attendence, the Police check on this.
    All very well if you have established clubs and facilities aplenty,we dont.
    If the Secretary thinks you are behaving oddly, such as start talking lots of Rambo type nonsence, your attendence stops or you leave the club he has to report you to the Police.

Again very difficult to deal on.Whats Rambo talk?It is another easy throwabout term[Rambo was never a chatty type chacter anyway!].Again as Sparks pointed out you would want to have that cast iron in your law of the club and land,as the chances of chacter defamation is great.

You have to fit a gunsafe in your house, and have 'good' security on the house, deadlocks and stuff, no big problem with that, it provides somewere to keep the wifes jewellery as well! The Police do check it and sign it off.
    No problem with that here either,and proably will be law soon anyway.BUT where does it become stupid?IE turning the house into Fort Knox with everyting from retina scans to reenforced concrete walls,to protect a £100 22 pocket pistol??Not only that then the possibility of your cheif super,changing his mind every 12mths and insisting on more security?
    I would favour a German solution,depending on the amount of guns you have the stronger the safe category required.No alarm required ,but recommended.But the law lays down the category of safe you require.
    Then you get a 'Home Interview' with your FEO who has a long talk with you about yourself, asks you about your views on things and that sort of thing to get a feel of the sort of person you are on your 'home ground'. Obviously, if you apply for a licence for Target Shooting and he comes to your house and finds copies of "Vigilantie Weekly" or "Combat Shooting for Beginners" he's going to be suspicious. Another reason for the home visits was that both Ryan and Hamilton would have stood out like sore thumbs at home, grown men living on their own or with their mothers in a very 'odd' domestic situation, lots of 'militaristic' paraphenalia and the like.

Now this I disagree with totally!!!OK so that means I must be a dangerous nutter!I still live at home with my mother[despite the fact that we live in a 15 room gerogeian house where from I run my busisness].Plus I see no reason to hang a millstone around my neck in property.And I would gladly live on my own,but do have a fiancee who is into shooting as well.I do also collect swords and knives.As well as that my reading material because of my work is related alot to firearms,terrorism,counter terrorism,etc
    So I suppose a British FEO would be running shreiking from the house babbling frantically for the armed firearms unit to arrive ASAP on his two way radio.
    OTOH the local gaurds who know me for ages and know what I do for a living,know my domestic arrangements and my family ,have no problem signing me off for anything in firearms I want.And I would say that would apply to 90%of us here in Ireland.although it is becoming less and less what with more and more people moving into new areas and the gaurds having to deal with more and more strangers in their district.It's a dangerous situation,to have a copper playing shrink.I had the experiance of an FEO visit when I lived in London.A WPC and PC.I found the whole thing intrusive,the two of them hostile to me and my girlfriend[this was pre peace process,post Hungerford times as well so maybe being a "Paddy "applying for a FAC wasnt a good idea].What our martial and sexual relationship had to do with my FAC application is still beyond me and still galls me.What I am saying is;you would want to be the most neutral, unbiased,astute person to be doing this job.Plus be able to look beyond the obvious.Plus lets face it if you know the FAO is coming over,I am sure most will be smart enough to shove their NF monthly along with their "how to make things explode"annual under the couch!!
    All in all I feel that your earlier surmisation of the UK trying to be gun free in ten years is very proable.Anything firearms related is demonised.
    All in all you are living in a PC police state over there.And is becoming more so.I left
    I hope it all goes well over there for you guys, and I'm sure it will. Although I must admit I have a bit of a vested interest as I hope to come home when I'm a bit older… and it would be nice to shoot a 'proper' handgun again.

It will if we get our act together,and show a bit of unity on the political front in the sense that we are not going to be fobbed off with "temporary "custody orders and such anymore.As you said we are an actual "strong minority" over here.Come home would be my advice to you.

Paddy applying for an FAC! :D

Stick down O'Bradaigh on an FAC application and see the reaction you get over here… :eek:

Yes, we are having a bit of bother getting forms signed off now, Bank Managers usually won't now or Doctors.

The clubs will come, It will just take time. We have clubs closing regularly now from falling attendences as it gets harder to get a licence… one of our best club shots has just handed in his licence, he said he was fed up jumping through all the hoops now and has given up shooting for good. I think that is part of the long term Government plan, to kill off shooting by regulating it to death.

Security for up to 6 guns is a standard gunsafe, window locks on all windows (standard Double Glazing ones are fine) and two deadlocks on all outside doors, if you have more rifles than that you usually need an alarm.

By 'Rambo Talk' I mean the sort of clown who starts saying if anyone messes with him he would 'blow them away' and bangs on about how we should be allowed to shoot intruders on sight… you can imagine the sort.

The home visit… It is a pain in the arse and very intrusive, but I suppose I'm lucky, my FEO is a good guy who is pro shooting. It's not 'us' they are after, it's people who seem above board on the application, but when you check you find they are 'Billy no Mates' living in a squalid flat on their own and their bedsit is a mountain of What Nazi Weekly, Soldier of Fortune and Combat & Survival. You would be surprised how stupid some of them can be. I've heard tell of one local wannabe Rambo who applied for a Shotgun Certficate, when the FEO called to his flat he answered the door dressed in combat fatigues… real smart!

We are all bracing ouselves for the results of the Home Office Consultation Document. I expect to see all semi auto & pump actions guns banned or highly restricted along with the long barrelled revolvers banned. If anything happens again all guns will be banned in a heartbeat… so we are a bit paranoid at Policing ourselves now, we know the next 'incident' will be the last one.

As to coming home, the final straw for me will be when they bring in the ID cards over here… I have no time with that nonsence! They say up to 10 years to bring them in… I'll be gone before they do, I was born a free man in a free state… I intend to stay that way and this place is turning more and more into one big Police State.

Jimbo

I think that is part of the long term Government plan, to kill off shooting by regulating it to death.
    Aint that a fact!!
    By 'Rambo Talk' I mean the sort of clown who starts saying if anyone messes with him he would 'blow them away' and bangs on about how we should be allowed to shoot intruders on sight… you can imagine the sort.
    Oh..ok that type.More replaced nowadays by the hoodie wearer and gangsta attitude.
    The home visit… It is a pain in the arse and very intrusive, but I suppose I'm lucky, my FEO is a good guy who is pro shooting. It's not 'us' they are after
    Why do they keep come back then?
    it's people who seem above board on the application, but when you check you find they are 'Billy no Mates' living in a squalid flat on their own and their bedsit is a mountain of What Nazi Weekly, Soldier of Fortune and Combat & Survival.
    Jeeze are they STILL as paranoid about SOF magazine in the UK?? :D I thought it was banned over there,it is here in Ireland
    I used to read it ,havent seen a copy in ages.Apart from it's obvious right wing slant,it did do good no BS firearm articles,plus had some weird and wonderful gadjets for sale.
    We are all bracing ouselves for the results of the Home Office Consultation Document. I expect to see all semi auto & pump actions guns banned or highly restricted along with the long barrelled revolvers banned. If anything happens again all guns will be banned in a heartbeat… so we are a bit paranoid at Policing ourselves now, we know the next 'incident' will be the last one.
    Need I say you neednt look for anything positive there :mad:
    As to coming home, the final straw for me will be when they bring in the ID cards over here… I have no time with that nonsence! They say up to 10 years to bring them in… I'll be gone before they do, I was born a free man in a free state… I intend to stay that way and this place is turning more and more into one big Police State.

Read before the next general election,and unfortuneatly it will proably follow you over here as well,due to the massive interchange of people between the Republic,NI and the UK.The UK will try and foist it on us as well,and knowing the Uk has the sniffles ,we get double penemonia.We will go for it hook line and sinker,as no doubt some clown will package it nicely as a great anti terrorist,anti crime or other such BS. :mad: I'll be moving to some place more free and gun friendly,like Serbia maybe,even Germany is more free and liberal on its gun laws these days . :mad:

Advertisement