Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Comprehensive policy with hibernian, can i drove any other car

Options
  • 29-05-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have fully comp insurance with hibernian, my policy seems to state i can drive any other insured vehicle with the owners permission

i assume this is correct, people always say, if you have your own policy u can drive mine

i just want to be sure,

does it always apply, say a mate had an aston martin could i still drive that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

yes, but only 3rd Party insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

AFAIK, the 'other' car *has* to be covered by its own policy i.e. you can't drive a car that is not insured in its own right. Don't forget: it's not what it says on the cert that counts - it's what it says on the *policy*.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Check what your policy says. I was under the impression that I could drive other cars as long as they were insured by the owner's policy too. Actually, the only stipulation on my policy regarding the DOC coverage is that the car must belong to someone else. There doesn't have to be any other insurance policy active on the car. I've confirmed this with my insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This cropped up recently in another thread. Most policies insist that the other car is already insured by someone else, before you can drive it, and you are also only insured third-party. It all seems rather too good to be true that you can drive another car that isn't insured at all ... I'd say there has to be some subtle kind of catch somewhere, despite what the insurance company is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

And there could also be a 'catch' re what CC of car you can drive, i.e. yo may be restricted a car of the same engine size.

I also believe that the other car must be insured by it's owner.

BTW, do you guys know such cover DOES NOT apply to a vehicle owned by your wife/partner ?!
    i.e. you must be named on your wifes/partners policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

I'm quoting from my policy here
    Vehicles or classes of vehicles the use of which is covered
    Vehicle bearing the registration number or index mark: <blah>

Any other private motor car being driven by the Insured provided such vehicle;
    (i) does not belong to the Insured or belong to his/her employer.
    (ii) is not hired or leased to either of the parties described in (i) above under a hire purchase or leasing agreement.
    (iii) is not the property of or in the custody or control of a motor trade business of which the Insured is director, member or employee.

My partner in life is not my employer, although it sometimes seems like that, so I am covered to drive her car. Interestingly I note that I am covered to drive hire cars, and am forced by hire companies to take out insurance with them. Very strange, doubly insured. Note also no restriction on engine cc...

And the above is from a 3PF&T policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

kermit_ie wrote:
    to drive hire cars, and am forced by hire companies to take out insurance with them. Very strange, doubly insure

its only coved tp, so if you crashed the hirecar without that insurance they would have to come after you for the price of their car...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kermit_ie wrote:
    I'm quoting from my policy here...

Not meaning to doubt you, but is possible that your quote is from the certificate rather than the actual policy document?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I would suggest that you double-check the 'wife/partner cover' element, as my brother told me it was in his policy (unless some companies allow this - doubt it though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Silvera wrote:
    I would suggest that you double-check the 'wife/partner cover' element, as my brother told me it was in his policy (unless some companies allow this - doubt it though!)

i'd say thats with quinn-direct , i don't think the others have it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm 21 & have a 3rd party F&T policy with Hibernian & I'm insured to drive to drive any other car with 3rd party cover (no engine restriction :eek: )
    God do I wish my Dad was rich & drove an M5....for now I have to make do with his 1.8 Mondeo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I'm with Hibernian too so I asked were there any conditions on the car (I drive a 02 A3 1.6 - which will morph into a new 05 one tomorrow). They said that it was Third Party cover on vehicles of a broadly similar power and value. I asked if that meant I could drive my father's 04 A4 TDI and they said that I would be covered. Not sure if it would let you go drive an M5 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kermit_ie wrote:
    I'm quoting from my policy here

My partner in life is not my employer, although it sometimes seems like that, so I am covered to drive her car. Interestingly I note that I am covered to drive hire cars, and am forced by hire companies to take out insurance with them. Very strange, doubly insured. Note also no restriction on engine cc...

And the above is from a 3PF&T policy.

Sorry If I have this arse ways but, the way I read you policy;

You are NOT covered to drive a hire car (on your policy)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

aodh_rua wrote:
    I'm with Hibernian too so I asked were there any conditions on the car (I drive a 02 A3 1.6 - which will morph into a new 05 one tomorrow). They said that it was Third Party cover on vehicles of a broadly similar power and value. I asked if that meant I could drive my father's 04 A4 TDI and they said that I would be covered. Not sure if it would let you go drive an M5 though!
    That doesn't sound like language that has any place in a formal document like an insurance policy to me. I'd still be wary.

aodh_rua wrote:
    They said that it was Third Party cover on vehicles of a broadly similar power and value. I asked if that meant I could drive my father's 04 A4 TDI and they said that I would be covered. Not sure if it would let you go drive an M5 though!
    That all sounds very vague to me....I would be insisting on specifics
    As far as I am concerned I'm allowed to drive anything provided it is registered in somebody elses name. I regularly drive my Dad's mondeo, my sister's cars, my Mams car and my mates BMW 323Ci. All vary hugely in power and value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I've fully comp with Hibernian and am restricted to a 1.6l. However, I can drive any other insured car regardless of engine size but will only have 3rd party cover on it.

eljono wrote:
    I've fully comp with Hibernian and am restricted to a 1.6l. However, I can drive any other insured car regardless of engine size but will only have 3rd party cover on it.
    Same here

Did any of you specifically ask if there was a limit to the size\value of the cars you can drive with the policy? I wanted to ask to be sure before I drove my father's car and the answer I got on the phone is the one above. The existence of any condition wasn't mentioned when I took out the policy.

aodh_rua wrote:
    Did any of you specifically ask if there was a limit to the size\value of the cars you can drive with the policy? I wanted to ask to be sure before I drove my father's car and the answer I got on the phone is the one above. The existence of any condition wasn't mentioned when I took out the policy.
    I rang them and asked cause I didn't think anyone under 25yrs could get open-drive on their policy. I said jokingly that my Dad owned a 4.0ltr Lexus and would I be covered on that to which she replied I would and to just be careful & remember that it's only 3rd party cover.

fletch wrote:
    I rang them and asked cause I didn't think anyone under 25yrs could get open-drive on their policy. I said jokingly that my Dad owned a 4.0ltr Lexus and would I be covered on that to which she replied I would and to just be careful & remember that it's only 3rd party cover.

Hmm - maybe it's time for the old man to get a bigger car! Strange though - if there was a car that I was going to drive fairly regularly, I think I'd probably get something in writing just in case.

• Advertisement

aodh_rua wrote:
    Hmm - maybe it's time for the old man to get a bigger car! Strange though - if there was a car that I was going to drive fairly regularly, I think I'd probably get something in writing just in case.
    Well he may be upgrading to a 2.5 V6 Mondeo in the not too distant future...well here's hopin anyway :D
    I have it in writing on my insurance certificate which I keep a photocopy of in my Dad's car just in case I'm stopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

i have fully comp on a 1l polo with hibernian, and when i checked, they said there was no restriction on the other cars i could drive(other than the obvious, although the ownership side was an issue, if they found out that you owned and insured the other car in someone else's name and they never drove it..there'd be big trouble.

i'm 21 (look about 18 though!) regularly drive my dads 04 Passat TDI and have been stopped at tax/insurance roadside checks a few times, but Gardaí have never passed any remarks on it.. I suppose as long as you don't look suspicious or drive like a loon then they don't mind what you're driving.

(P.s Beware of a frog imposter... Kermit.ie...I'm on to you!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

fletch wrote:
    That's not open-drive, as they would define it. Open-drive would be for your car to be insured with anybody driving it, i.e. no need for named drivers, but there could be restrictions like they need to have a full license, be over 25. Anyway, you'd definitely pay more for that.

Advertisement