Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From good to bad connection speed

Options
  • 29-05-2005 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Over the last three weeks I have noticed that every time I connect to the net that I will be connected at between 15Kbps and about 31Kbps. I used to be able to connect at 52.2Kbps all the time without fail. I rang a friend of mine earlier on who sells and repairs pcs and he reckons that Eircom have definetly done something with our phone line like put us onto a carrier line or something. Now I know for definate that it's not an issue as to how far away we are from the exchange because I can see the Eircom exchange from out front door. Any ideas what is causing this? Is it worth getting onto Eircom about this and make them do a line test or anything? I can't bear the net being this slow...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

As your friend said it is possible they put you on a carrier line, i.e. you're sharing your line with someone else, to find out what is the current status of your line call 1901.

You can also ask the people at 1901 to run a line check, don't say its because your internet is slow thou as they'll only refer you to tech support.

Also other things that can slow down your connection are, a virus, spyware or file sharing programs

Make sure your virus scanner is up to date and run a full virus scan, check for spyware, there are many free anti-spyware programs out there, if you're using windows XP, i'd suggest trying microsofts own anti-spyware program, downloadable from microsoft.com, another good one is spybot, freely available from download.com

Of course in saying all that, you have to bare in mind the phone line is primarily only for voice communication, there is no guarantee your phone line will be capable of sending data, ip traffic, the more people that get connected to that exchange the slower your connection is going to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

It's definetly not a virus or spyware. I have all mine up to date and run them at least once a week to check for all virsus and spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Well I rang Eircom today and asked them did they change us over to a carrier line. Ya man said that we hadn't and I got him to do a line test and he told me that there is a problem on our phone line. He said that an engineer will fix it either tomorrow or the day after. I'l keep my fingers cross as far as Eircom are concerned!

Advertisement