Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia+Firewall+Teamspeak

Options
  • 30-05-2005 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Over the last few weeks I have been having problems with my connection ( ping wise mainly ) .

I have
    Formatted and reinstalled
    Tried different firewalls
    Phoned eircom support ( said they could find nothing wrong )
    Tried different modems ( zyxel 630 )
    Tried different phone leads
    Uninstalled the game and reinstalled
    Uninstalled the teamspeak and reinstalled

But I always , during the course of the games , develope a massive ping .

My specs are a p4 2.2 , 1 gig of ddr pc2700 , 400gig sata drive , 9800 pro , netopia caymen 3341 modem . I use spybot , adaware , microsofts one , norton AV and the netopia's own firewall . Eircom 1024/128 .

The other night I went out and for the duration ( about 4 hours ) ran a ping test ( ping -t ) , I came home and it was perfect . During Saturday I started to get the impression that there was a connection between the firewall and teamspeak . I would play without teamspeak and with the firewall set to medium , no problem , then with teamspeak and no firewall , no problem . I have had this problem for a few weeks now and from the start attributed it to the conn , firewall , the game , teamspeak . The game btw in Tac-ops an ex mod of Unreal tourney if this makes any difference .

My question to anyone that would be well up on this , is , does this make any sense ? I have used the same config on 56k , and 512/128 , up until saturday I was tying this in with the upgrade in april and/or an eircom guy working on the pole outside my house which all corresponed to the time when I started having this problem .

I have tried everything I can possibly think of so any help would be greatly apriciated .

Thanks in advance

John .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i'm kinda confused as to what the problem is, you say "...for the duration ( about 4 hours ) ran a ping test ( ping -t ) , I came home and it was perfect " so then you can see there's no problem with the line.

then go on to say " would play without teamspeak and with the firewall set to medium , no problem , then with teamspeak and no firewall , no problem "

Eh so havent you answered your own question, if you get a poor ping with 'teamspeak and firewall on', the problem *is* the firewal?

Look it up, someone else has undoubtidly encountered the same problem, you may have to open some port on the firewall for it to run efficently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Your confused ? I am totally baffled .......

I have googled and "searched" these forums and , nothing , not a word on it . I have tried software firewalls ,ZA ,sygate and I have the same problem . I have gotten paranoid over it at this stage , it felt like someone was hacking me to stop me playing ( joking , as I am not that good ) .

It seems too odd that this would happen a: to me only , and b:that I can not find anyone else having a problem with it .

Thats why I posted here , as I thought someone with knowledge might suggest a reason why .

John .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I have used the netopia fire for quite a few things and have not noticed any slowing down.

I suspect that the problem is that you need to open some port on the netopia.

Have a look at the teamspeak documentation for port settings.

Advertisement