Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immirgration Contracts?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

DO we really NEED such misguided Professionals?
    :mad:

I doubt it was a doctor and most likely a nurse as they are used as a buffer zone between the doctors who are overworked. The only reason I think this is because I had a similar incident where the person had to keep going back to the ER area and back to confer with a doctor.

But you still don't prove any point? 1 doctor. Does that automatically invalidate all doctors? Add to that how do you plan to fill those spots once you send the foreigners all home.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In response to the foreign doctors and nurses from hobbes,it was one foreign"doctor"(who is going to check for references)where my nephew was admitted to casulalty with a pain in his stomach,was checked over,sent home with a suppository,diagnosed with a case of constipation. later that night appendix burst,pushing highly poisionous bile around the 3 year olds system,had to be cut open from groin to chest to eradicate and stuck on morphine for 2 months! DO we really NEED such misguided Professionals? :mad:
    Would you prefer doctor or no doctor? Foreign doctors (and nurses and others) are what are holding the Irish medical system together at the moment

Hobbes wrote:
    But you still don't prove any point? 1 doctor. Does that automatically invalidate all doctors? Add to that how do you plan to fill those spots once you send the foreigners all home.
    plus if one wanted to go down the road of using one incident to tar all with that brush,one should be prepared to go the whole hog and withdraw confidence in any medical invention or process started by foreigners.

Lets see what sort of medical service we have then...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

it was one foreign"doctor"(who is going to check for references)where my nephew was admitted to casulalty with a pain in his stomach,was checked over,sent home with a suppository,diagnosed with a case of constipation....
    DO we really NEED such misguided Professionals?

No, we don't.

But whats the relevance of the person being foreign? Are you suggesting that their foreign-ness is what caused the mis-diagnosis? On such a body of evidence, I could decide that all brown-eyed doctors are dodgy, if he had brown eyes, or that all doctors wearing a particular brand of shoes are dodgy.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Screwdriver

Victor wrote:
    Why African asylum seekers? How about we get rid of pensioners also (I'd love to see what they contribute!)?
    Why do you compare pensioners who have worked hard all their lives to asylum seekers who are here not for asylum but for the money?

• Advertisement

I believe he is referring to people who have say joined Ireland in the last 10 years or so who are now pensioners.

Why do you compare pensioners who have worked hard all their lives to asylum seekers who are here not for asylum but for the money?

Why do you - like Knowitall - apparently make assumptions on the motives of some asylum seekers based on no more information than the continent of origin?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually, I'm refering to (mostly) American, British, Dutch and German pensioners who have been coming here for decades, living on mostly foreign pensions, but receiving ancillary benefits from the Irish taxpayer (health, free travel, etc.)

So there are "pensioners who have worked hard all their lives", but never contributed a penny to the Irish exchequer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

bonkey wrote:
    What, exactly, are you on about then? You've clarified that its not race thats the issue....so if its not race, and its not money....whats the problem with foreigners earning a living in Ireland if not that they're taking money in the form of employment from the natives?

If its not race, and its not money.....what exactly is the point of this suggestion?
    Culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

Denmark & Germany has has workers from Turkey since 1975 to do the dirty work that the Danes & Germans would not do. Like construction workers,hotel porters, bin collection and many more low paid jobs. Now with high unemployment,they want these guest workers out.

• Advertisement

axtradub12 wrote:
    Denmark & Germany has has workers from Turkey since 1975 to do the dirty work that the Danes & Germans would not do. Like construction workers,hotel porters, bin collection and many more low paid jobs. Now with high unemployment,they want these guest workers out.
    It's only fair too. The Turks came because they wanted work. There was work there for them at the time. Now the work is scarce so the Turks should leave to go home... Sounds fair to me

KnowItAll wrote:
    Culture.

Care to explain that? We should let them work when there's work, and send them home when there isn't.....because of culture???

I'm sorry. Maybe its too early on a Monday morning, and I haven't had enough coffee, but that makes no sense other than reading it as "we should send them home because they're foreign and different to us".

jc

bonkey wrote:
    Care to explain that? We should let them work when there's work, and send them home when there isn't.....because of culture???

I'm sorry. Maybe its too early on a Monday morning, and I haven't had enough coffee, but that makes no sense other than reading it as "we should send them home because they're foreign and different to us".

jc
    Well, I think irish culture is under threat by immigrants among other things. If immigrants do come in because of the economy they should not be left stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is this your hurling match culture as per your post in History/Heritage I really do not think you have an idea what Irish Culture is. Culture is a living thing and not something you can freeze in a time warp. Irish Music for example has arabic influences (I saw a documentry about it on RTE a while ago). Now please give me an example of Irish Culture thats under threat from the hordes of immigrants?

If someone comes to this country and adds to this country by working here then they should stay.

If someone expects to be handed things just because they and their ancestors were born here then I think they are the ones we should ship them out.

gandalf wrote:
    Is this your hurling match culture as per your post in History/Heritage I really do not think you have an idea what Irish Culture is.

I gave the munster hurling final an example of Irish culture. Is that not Irish culture? Is it not a good example?
    gandalf wrote:
    Culture is a living thing and not something you can freeze in a time warp. Irish Music for example has arabic influences (I saw a documentry about it on RTE a while ago). Now please give me an example of Irish Culture thats under threat from the hordes of immigrants?
    How do they know that? Maybe it was the Irish who influenced the Arabs. Actually the neanderthals were the first to make musical instruments much like the modern flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

KnowItAll wrote:
    I gave the munster hurling final an example of Irish culture. Is that not Irish culture? Is it not a good example?

Ah but you gave an example of how the crowd mingled before and after and were not segregated during the event you did not say the game itself was the example now did you. You have only said this when people gave you examples of other events around the world where people mixed openly as well.
    How do they know that? Maybe it was the Irish who influenced the Arabs. Actually the neanderthals were the first to make musical instruments much like the modern flute.

No one knows anything for definate. But here is some more details
    for you to check out about it. Personally I think its quite interesting but I would say judging from your posts so far you may find the idea uncomfortable.

KnowItAll wrote:
    Well, I think irish culture is under threat by immigrants among other things.
    That much is clear. I'm just not sure how you tie that in to the notion that its ok to let foreigners work here while we can make money off of them, but once our economy needs a bit of belt-tightening, they should go.

It would make it sound liek Irish culture is tied to Irish employment levels, or that you're just casting a net about for any reason to disparage foreigners and make a case to get rid of some of them because....oooh....they're threatening.

As a matter of interest....can you name one aspect of Irish culture which is under threat from immigrants? Seriously. Just explain one intrinsically Irish thing that these immigrants are threatening in and of themselves to make a thing of the past. And when you do, I'll match you with a list of other intrinsically Irish things that have died as a result of our embrasure of English and American culture, as well a list of cultural influences from them which we have adopted as our own, and ask you whether or not you have an equal problem with those. Hope you're not a soccer fan, f'r example.
    If immigrants do come in because of the economy they should not be left stay.
    So....if the economy stays in good shape....its ok for them to live here for however long...lets say ten years. But if the economy is in bad shape, ten years is too long because it threatens our culture? Because its not about money....remember?

jc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

KnowItAll wrote:
    The Book of kells it ain't in fairness
    Maybe it was. Who knows. The Atlantean book/programme made many historical leaps of faith. Damn thought provoking though(A thread deserved in History/Heritage perhaps).

One (highly contested) Neandertal flute does not an orchestra make. In any case it post dates actual musical instruments from southern Africa, made by fully modern humans. It also may have been a copy of instruments that modern humans were making in Europe at the time. While Neandertals may not agree, those early immigrants sure made a go of it in Europe. In fact that early modern culture even lifted the Neandertal culture along with it for a time(their adornments and tools improved). So on that basis we're all immigrants. African ones at that. Early Europeans were dark skinned. It was the Neandertals that were white(possibly with red hair). So maybe when the next recession hits we should all go back to Africa(unless you're a redhead of an overly chunky build). I can see that going down real well with the locals over there....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Wibbs wrote:
    So maybe when the next recession hits we should all go back to Africa(unless you're a redhead of an overly chunky build).

A few more pies and I'm safe as houses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

KnowItAll wrote:

Jaysus Brian Cody must be laughing his arse off right now.

Knowitall, be a dear and head down to west cork and tell Setanta O'Halipin, and his three brother born in South east Asia to piss off home, and let cork lose three of the finest hurlers to grace Semperat park, we don't need em ruining our culture

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    No one knows anything for definate. But here is some more details
    for you to check out about it. Personally I think its quite interesting but I would say judging from your posts so far you may find the idea uncomfortable.

drifting off topic but, when I was in China I noticed a lot of old Chinese music mimic'ed Irish music. Was kind of strange TBH.

While we are at it.I also remember watching a programme on the resemblence of Irish and moroccan/Tunisian music (Radharc from a few years ago I think)
    The theory was that the locals from there sailed up to the West coast of Ireland.

They probably went home when they got a load of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Earthman wrote:
    They probably went home when they got a load of the weather.

I heard they left when all the hunting / gathering jobs dried up, round around about the end of the sabretoothed celtic tiger boom, and they got chucked out by the locals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now that's funny. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

KnowItAll wrote:
    If immigrants do come in because of the economy they should not be left stay.

As of May 11, 2005 there were 2000 Filipino nurses employed in Ireland.

Source

If our economy goes tits up tomorrow, how will our health service survive the loss of 2000 nurses overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

As of May 11, 2005 there were 2000 Filipino nurses employed in Ireland.

Source

If our economy goes tits up tomorrow, how will our health service survive the loss of 2000 nurses overnight?

Easy:
    axtradub12 wrote:
    I say bring our own Irish back home from Britain & elsewhere.

We make all these guys nurses. Sweet. No durty foreigners looking after our sick.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    We make all these guys nurses. Sweet. No durty foreigners looking after our sick.

MrP

Great, I'll take care of the lynch mob on this side of the Irish Sea if you can round them up at gunpoint on t'other... ;)

Advertisement