Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a BF server

Options
  • 30-05-2005 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to create a server so me and my friends can play on but, i'm have no luck. I can create a server alright but they cant connect to it. Myip is constantyl 192.168.1.33 which im sure isnt correct but tbh I've no idea what to do. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

that sounds like youre local IP address on youre home net work. You can goto www.whatsmyip.com and that will give you then net address for youre friends to try to connect to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Depending on your setup you may also have to setup port forwarding on your modem. This will transfer people from your WAN IP to your internet computers ip.

Check out this website for info: http://www.portforward.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I'm not using WAN but I'll try using the whatsmyip.com and let you guys know the results. Ya was thinking that ip address was wrong even though BF game me that ip in the console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You will almost certainly need to do some port forwarding and additionally create pin holes in your firewall to allow for incoming connections to your server.

Just looked it up and it's easy stuff but about the static ip, which is 192.168.1.33. That's different to the ip which I get at whatsmyip.com but does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Gangsta wrote:
    Just looked it up and it's easy stuff but about the static ip, which is 192.168.1.33. That's different to the ip which I get at whatsmyip.com but does it matter?
    that means your router is nat'n your connection, which means you need to do the forwarding as winters mention'd....

and on your router/modem the port/ip that goes to the internet is called the WAN port, and the ones to ur pc(s) the lan ports..

followed the url winter gave me for the zyxel exactly as it said except I used port 14567 as they do in BF http://www.portforward.com/zyxel/Prestige600-portforwarding.htm
    but when i tried to connect from my other pc it couldn't.any ideas? for the port forwarding, do i use my static ip or the ip on whatsmyip.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah i think you will have to use the IP on whatsmyip. Thats the IP the internet sees you at. On my router port forwarding was called address translation so just watch out for that it might be called something else on youre router.

Advertisement