Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike Insurance

Options
  • 30-05-2005 4:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

ok hi everyone,

i bought a nice aprilia rs 50 and got a quote for insurance of 1,550, which isnt the problem ,i knew it would be steep.

so this is the problem i am having .... when i went to get the insurance they said it has to be paid in full or i cant get cover.(on a car you can pay monthly for a bike they said i cant)

is there anywhere that i can get bike cover and pay it monthly, i can pay a little over what they want.

the quote was with hibernian.

torso_design@hotmail.com

thanks for any advise you may offer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

As far as I know Aon used to do quarterly payments or similar. They tend to be cheaper than Hibernian directly as well (and now that they've switched to Axa, they might be even cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

Aon do, do the quarterly payment option, but when i was with them u could not walk in off the street to get insurance off them, u had to go throught a bike shop that u bought the bike from and it of course had to be a broker for them, Megabike's is the shop i used,, For Caral Nash u have 2 be over 21 with 2yrs ncd and have a bike 125cc or over, Or be over 24 without ncb,
    Hibernian, well there are just W*****s the bike insurance market in ireland is a joke

Well i hope u get sorted, and enjoy ur motoring, the Rs is a nice Little bike, bit small though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 zipline

ok well i would like to say thank you so much for your replies, i thought i was goin mad with this one.
    i will ring AON and see,i think i might be able to get a guy to help me out he works in a bike shop.

hibernian although good for car insurance and not bad prices for the bike they are not really helping things for young people wanting to start off with a motor.
    i do understand as to why they charge so high but its a major joke how they deal with people.

im only 22 and its my first bike...

i will defo not be getting a car anytime soon!

hi all ,

i had AON on the fone and it seems that they are cheaper by 500 euro than hibernian.

they will let me do the insurance through them almost like finance.
    its kinda a concern to be honest,thinking of it as finance because it means if the bike breaks down and im screwed still paying the money .

ill have a think and ill see what comes to me.

thank you for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Good luck with the bike. I've not dealt with AON/Axa yet, but they appear to be a bit more progressive than the other(s). Hibernian never gave me the option of paying by installments, only Carole Nash. Any company that allows you to pay premiums by installments, be it bike or car will charge you a higher rate, I think about 6% extra. To cover "administration" etc. In you case this amounts to about 60 euro extra. What's that amount to? A night on the town, so it's a easier way for you to get on the road. Can get your gear, locks the month before the bike, bike plus 25% of insurance the next and you're motoring. Yes it's a financial arrangement, but then so's working for someone else ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

aon do there finace through close finace.

you have to pay 10% up front and the then 5 monthly installments of the remainder.
    - the whole amount is paid 6 months after you get the insurance, not 12.
    interest is charged at a higher rate than a bank, about 15% i think.

you might be better getting a credit union loan or asking a parent to help you out as the 5 monthly payments are fairly steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hibernian are actually getting out of the bike insurance market altogether after August, so I don't imagine they plan to be very accommodating to anyone between now and then.

when i phoned them the first time (AON ) they were not very helpfull and left me confused but then i called them back.
    it works out at:

1,500 - over all

448 up front.

227 per month

over 6 months.

and its at 6% using them so its actually better than what i would have been paying with hibernian.

Advertisement