Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kikujiro

• 30-05-2005 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Saw this on saturday night. Starring, directed by (and I think edited) the great Beat Takeshi.
    Story concerns a young boy Masao who goes in search of his long-lost mother with Kikujiro(Kitano).
    Thought it was a fantastic film, well acted, well scripted, well directed film with a fantastic score. Some moments of hilarity and some that are totally heart-wrenching
    the bit where Masao saw his mother with a new family almost had me in tears

As i say i can't recommend this highly enough, I really loved it!

Anyone else see this, what did you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Yeah, I watched it too. Thoroughly enjoyed it especially, as you mentioned, the score. Fit very will with the film.
    Brilliantly directed and acted and the right mix of emotional moments as well as complete and utter hilarity such as
    trying to burst the car's tyre to get it to stop
    . Currently trying to look for it on DVD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I didn't know it was on telly at the weekend, what channel?

Great film, and an excellent director, I don't think he's made a bad film!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

was on rte2 at 2.25 in the morning, not the most accessible time! so much more of his stuff that i want to see. he was great in Battle Royale and Zatoichi.

can get on dvd here . bit expensive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I can't believe I forgot to check play! Cheers nachos. Not a terrible price considering it's around £23 on Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The Kikujiro DVD has been stuck in limbo for about 2 years now, it kept getting the release date knocked back, and now it's just been "Not Currently Available" since last june. I've been waiting for the film for ages now, being a big fan of Kitano, so I've been entirely disheartened with the DVD.

Save yourself the bother, and import one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I watched it this morning, what a great film. I love Takeshi, he is a legend. If only there were more English or Americans who could make movies as good as him....

Oh, out of curiosity, has anybody else noticed the eye twitch thing he has? His left eye is blinking constantly. I noticed it in Battle Royale, and in this too....

Cianan2 wrote:
    Oh, out of curiosity, has anybody else noticed the eye twitch thing he has? His left eye is blinking constantly. I noticed it in Battle Royale, and in this too....

Yeah, that's because he was nearly kicked in a motercycle crash. His face was literally destroyed, he had to have extensive surgery and he's had that twitch ever since. I've seen a documentary, where there was a clip of a press conference after he had the accident, and christ, his face was obliterated entirely, one side was completely limp, and he could barely speak at all. Poor chap.

Well, that clears that query. Thanks Karl. At least it didnt affect his brilliant little brain(well, as far as movies go, anyway!)

The Documentary was on the Brother DVD, and it's well worth a look if you're a fan of Kitano, so I recommend it. And the film Brother isn't half bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Brother is a pretty kick ass film. Cheap enough on Play last time I checked too.
    He has a limp also after the motorcycle accident.
    His twitch wasn't evident in Zatoichi though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Yeah, that's because he was nearly kicked in a motercycle crash. His face was literally destroyed, he had to have extensive surgery and he's had that twitch ever since. I've seen a documentary, where there was a clip of a press conference after he had the accident, and christ, his face was obliterated entirely, one side was completely limp, and he could barely speak at all. Poor chap.

Interesting addition: For those of you who've seen Hana-Bi (Fireworks) ... All the vibrant paintings supposedly done by the character Horibe were actually painted by Kitano while he was recovering from his accident ! So he's actually a talented artist as well !

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Ill be sure to check these films out. Any links to other good Takeshi(or people like him)'s films?

Well, if you've not looked at it yet, take a peek at his imdb profile, which is extremely handy. www.kitanotakeshi.com is also an excellent website, and a great resource. As for anyone like him, well there's just no such thing.

Advertisement