Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What bike around €300 - 500 in insurance?

Options
  • 30-05-2005 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Heard a rumour from a friend that if you buy a old bike ( around -85) that the insurance would be around €400 a year?

Anyone that can support or deny this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

do you have a full license?
    waht age are you?
    do you live in dublin?

plenty of bikes can get classic insurance, i think its over 15 or 20 years old to be eligible.
    i think youd need a full license plus over 25 to get it.
    would be more expenisve in dublin aswell i think.

ring carole nash and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have a 78 Kawasaki KZ400 and it costs €250 to insure for a year or about €50 extra on top of another bike policey. You really have to have an interest for these old bikes as they are not as easy to get parts for unlike a brand new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Chalk:

sorry bout that... forgot to tell.
    I'm 27 and will soon get my full license *hopefully*
    Wont buy a bike till I get my full license.
    Have my drivers test in two weeks.. :eek:

/Patrik

at 27 you could probably get most bikes insured for around 500eu i would hope :)

Chalk:

I tried to do a quote on Hibernian website and just ended up with quotes around €1700 a year.. and thats for a Honda CB 500cc early -90's. :(

I had my eyes on a Ducati Monster 600 Dark from germany, priced @ €2500. But I guess I just can forget that.. the insurance would be almost as much as the bike I guess..

I want something between 400 - 600cc to begin with the first years.. then I can step up to a 900 - 1200cc depending on racer or offroad =)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

cutepape wrote:
    Chalk:

I tried to do a quote on Hibernian website and just ended up with quotes around €1700 a year.. and thats for a Honda CB 500cc early -90's. :(

I had my eyes on a Ducati Monster 600 Dark from germany, priced @ €2500. But I guess I just can forget that.. the insurance would be almost as much as the bike I guess..

I want something between 400 - 600cc to begin with the first years.. then I can step up to a 900 - 1200cc depending on racer or offroad =)
    `
    Try Carol Nash, they are alot cheaper and they are the only insurance company in Ireland that insure old bikes as old bikes.

K-Tric:

Will have a look in to that.. thanks for the advice =)
    Its always hard when you move to another country to fins your way around the insurance jungle..

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Carole Nash are the only company who would quote me for classic insurance. The bike has to be over 15 years old, garaged (IIRC). Rider has to have a full licence and I think has to have had at least 1 year's insurance with Carole Nash before getting insured. Which su(ks; I was considering going down this route, but decided to go a fairly new 2nd hand bike. Mostly for ease of maintenance, comfort and power. Might still end up getting a classic as a winter hack.

I have a vague recollection of being quoted about 400 for a classic CBR1100, low powered bikes I believe might cost 250 per annum to insure. Also AFAIK the level of insurance is fully comprehensive.
    Chalk wrote:
    at 27 you could probably get most bikes insured for around 500eu i would hope :)

Have you any idea of bike insurance costs? Maybe TPO on a 125cc bike. As a 30something rider, my insurance is about 850 FC. Bike insurance has been going up about 25-30% per annum over the past 3 years. I'm expecting my next insurance premium to be about 1800 maybe less as I've upgraded to a 1300cc. But I also expect to move to a different insurer coz they recognise the training I've done.

a_ominous wrote:
    Have you any idea of bike insurance costs?
    chalk wrote:
    i would hope :)

note the use of the word hope, suggesting that i dont know the exact cost, and the smiley face indicating that i am not fully guaranteeing the estimate i have given.

this is generally due to me being 22, ive never been quoted the insurance costs of a 27 year old.
    my insurance this year is 1800 on a bros 400 and i would expect it to be lower by the time i reach 27.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

i just got a bros 400 1988 and the insurance is 573
    30years old male on a provisional and living in Louth the wanted nearly 400 more for dublin rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cutepape wrote:
    I'm 27 and will soon get my full license *hopefully*
    Wont buy a bike till I get my full license.
    Have my drivers test in two weeks.....I want something between 400 - 600cc to begin with the first years.. then I can step up to a 900 - 1200cc depending on racer or offroad =)

If you're still waiting to do your test, remember that you're restricted to a machine that puts out less than 33bhp (25kw) for the first two years after getting your full license... There are various restriction options available though, that'll bring more powerful bikes into this bracket. It is a bike test you're doing, right?

Krusty:

test for a full A license..

In sweden you're allowed up to 499cc 18-21 years of age After a Full A license.
    22 and above there is no limit..

Chalk wrote:
    note the use of the word hope, suggesting that i dont know the exact cost, and the smiley face indicating that i am not fully guaranteeing the estimate i have given.

this is generally due to me being 22, ive never been quoted the insurance costs of a 27 year old.
    my insurance this year is 1800 on a bros 400 and i would expect it to be lower by the time i reach 27.

;)

Apologies for over-reaction. :o

I can't quite recall the tables mentioned on another thread, which does show the change in premiums for 21-24yo, 25-30, 30-40, etc. But I wouldn't be hoping too much about a big decrease as the premiums haven't been dropping much if at all, in my experience. NCB is only 10% per annum, but in my first 2 years with Hibernian, rates went up in general 25-30% _each_ year. Carole Nash don't care if rider has a full or provisional licence, so no loading for a provisional. Axa do offer discounts for full licence or meeting their basic riding standard on a provisonal, a bit like Hibernian Ignition. So reasonable riders waiting a year for a test can get insurance as if they had a full licence.

I'm guessing your 1800 premium on a Bros is TPO?

-ao-

indeed it is.
    full license + garaged and they wont even offer me fully comp.

im still hopeful that the insurance will keep going down for the next few years and once my 2 year "trial run" on the full license is up,
    -yes, i forgot to get my license when i passed the test :rolleyes:,
    ill be moving on to bigger and better bikes so at least im hoping to be able to get a quote on them.

In 6 years of holding bike insurance, I've never seen my premium even stay at the same level - always a hike. I'll be coming up on 6 years no claims bonus now in two months time, and I expect another hike (particularly with HiB bowing out of the market)..

33yo, Dublin, Full license, 5y ncb, 1,800 euro fully comp. R1200GS.

*fingers in ears*
    lalalaallala

but seriously, my premium has been going down since i got my first bike 2 1/2 years ago.
    the premium on the bros was only 150 more than that of the group 2 virago so i guess its just been a combination of getting the full license and passing the 21-22 age barrier.

Hmm...

maybe buy a 2001 Honda CB 500 in sweden, approx €3300.
    Complete insurance is €311 / annum. if you are 18 or 59 doesnt matter.
    and just drive it over here.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

If you're still waiting to do your test, remember that you're restricted to a machine that puts out less than 33bhp (25kw) for the first two years after getting your full license... There are various restriction options available though, that'll bring more powerful bikes into this bracket. It is a bike test you're doing, right?
    Meh, dont mind the restriction thing, its makes no sense, is not enforced, and no-one has ever been refused a claim because of it.

jackal wrote:
    Meh, dont mind the restriction thing, its makes no sense, is not enforced, and no-one has ever been refused a claim because of it.

And I wonder if an insurance company has ever refused to pay out when a provisional licence holder has a crash with a pillion passenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

K-TRIC wrote:
    I have a 78 Kawasaki KZ400 and it costs €250 to insure for a year or about €50 extra on top of another bike policey. You really have to have an interest for these old bikes as they are not as easy to get parts for unlike a brand new one.

Sorry to hijack but whats the deal with having an additional bike on a policy!? My bro has classic insurance on his 2 bikes and says he can stick my ickle VanVan on his policy for less than €100?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,869 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

restriction in Ireland isn't 25kW(33hp), it's either under 25kW or under a power to weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg (this is actually due to a typo in the Irish legislation when it was being copied from the EU directive :rolleyes: )

Some bikes over 33hp are learner legal in Ireland (e.g. GL1500, 100hp) as they're under the power to weight ratio limit

The restriction applies to the provisional licence and for 2 years after getting the full licence.

If you can do a "direct access" test in another EU country and get an unrestricted licence there, you can use that licence here. There is no direct access in the Republic or in Northern Ireland.

a_ominous, the insurance companies legally have to pay out for pillion claims even if the rider has provisional licence and so was breaking the law by carrying a passenger.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

You're absolutely correct ninja900.. I was over-simplifying..
    I saw a debate elsewhere (Motorcycle Ireland) where a GoldWing was calculated as not being within the legal limts though. I believe that the likes of a Honda Deauville is learner legal, due to the power/weight ratio being within the Irish legal tolerances..

On the subject of restrictions Jackal, it isn't checked in Ireland, and I don't think the Gardai have the mechanisms to do this, but I wouldn't like to be the first person to put this to the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Do you honestly think it hasnt been put to the test yet?

Im sure at some stage the guards might be told to get tough... but I hope its not for 1yr 11 months and two weeks, at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

cutepape wrote:
    Hmm...

maybe buy a 2001 Honda CB 500 in sweden, approx €3300.
    Complete insurance is €311 / annum. if you are 18 or 59 doesnt matter.
    and just drive it over here.... :rolleyes:

will you have a full swedish license? If yes you can probably just get a full unrestricted irish one instead of it., but tbh, you're not going to get a quote even close to that one in ireland, although i'd imagine your swedish insurance will only cover you for a certain amount of time in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,869 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The old GL1500 Goldwing was legal on a restricted licence. The current GL1800 is over the power-to-weight ratio limit (more power, about the same weight)

According to here the Deauville weighs 223kg dry and makes 41.8kW, that's a ratio of 0.187 which is over the limit, if it weighed 261kg it would be legal on a restricted licence...

echomadman, there is no problem using the Swedish full licence here, there is no requirement any more to switch an EU licence for an Irish one.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

echomadman wrote:
    will you have a full swedish license? If yes you can probably just get a full unrestricted irish one instead of it., but tbh, you're not going to get a quote even close to that one in ireland, although i'd imagine your swedish insurance will only cover you for a certain amount of time in another country.

Echomadman:
    If I get my Irish license I will be able to trade it in to a swedish full A license.
    The amount they cover is the full amount that you insure for. The only thing is that you have to "specify" the time you will be abroad.
    Lets say you buy a bike in SWE and insure it there, you tell the insurance comp. that you will do a trip around europe for 6 months. Then its ok!

I would rather buy a bike here and insure it here in ireland! Not planning to move back in a long time I hope!

I'm soooo nervous for my test next week! :eek:

Advertisement