Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M5...looks weird

Options
  • 30-05-2005 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I am a fan of the new shaped 5 series BMW. I think it's a very good looking car once it's not fitted with under sized wheels.

But recently I saw a video that I got from some website (m5board.com I think) that showed the new M5 going through it's paces. It looked a really impressive car, but I thought it looked like it was on stilts or jacked up in some way! Maybe it's because the wheels are so big it has an off roader look about it, ah lá Volvo XC70 or Audi Allroad.

I thought maybe it was some distortion from the video, but last night driving to Limerick from Dublin I saw an English reg M5 come towards me and it was instantly recognisable as a new M5. Jacked up or whatever they've done to it. I admired the look of the old M5 since it had that squated look, but for this one, the standard 5 series looks better, in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

kbannon wrote:
    Ohmigod I nearly wanna cry :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

This is the E60 one you are talking about?

http://www.fantasycars.com/cgi-bin/photos/index.cgi?action=view&link=Cars/BMW/2005%20E60%20M5&image=bmw_m5_e603.jpg&img=&tt=

It's aggressive looking anyway :-)

Pity they didn't do an M/T one as well...

A friend of mine managed to get one on loan from a dealer recently. He rang me when in it and it sounded the business. He was driving from Dundrum onto the M50 when he called. Within seconds it was comfortably doing 90mph in 3rd.
    Apparently there were about half a dozen of them being driven around the M50/M1 by BMW Irl staff at night to help them (ahem) 'bed in'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

for a hundred grand theyd want to be good at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    for a hundred grand theyd want to be good at the end of the day.
    ...and the rest - the basic model starts at €134k (ex delivery)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Yeah it's the E60 and by all accounts it's one hell of a car. It just looks so tall compared to the standard 5 series and the old M5.

So how does one manage to get a loan of one from a garage? I'd imagine that you'd want to be going in handing over 130k get the keys, drive it, hand it back and get your money back. It's not the sort of car people take for a test drive and go....naa....don't like it....the interior isn't the best. I'm sure people will just order it and buy it.

A few lucky sods will get to buy one alright. I'll wait to pick up a 10 year old one in 2015 for 15 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

WTF, your moaning about the 130k price tag for a bmw with a V10 and 500 bhp

WTF, your moaning about the 130k price tag for a bmw with a V10 and 500 bhp
    I don't think anyone was complaining but the price is too high!
    The UK M5 starts at £61,760 [about €90,000]. Our government rips us all off on car prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

when my friend picked up his E46 M3 2 weeks ago the salesman was just back from test driving the new M5 - €150K before any other extra's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ciarsd wrote:
    the new M5 - €150K before any other extra's...

He was telling porkies :rolleyes:

The list price is €134000 and this includes EVERYTHING. The only option is a
    Integrated Universal Remote Control Cloth seat covers
    whatever the hell that is for €335

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I saw a brand new Irish registered m5 last Thursday in santry. What a beauty of a car! Indicators still dont work though :rolleyes:

nah unkel options are available, go to bmw.ie, click on M, then M5 (need IE not firefox)
    then build car, leather on the dash and doors is anotehr 11 grand, and there is a rake of options available on the interior

de Description Price (€)
    Select 'Climate Comfort Laminated Glass' 356 Climate Comfort Laminated Glass 1,515
    Select 'Rear Screen Roller Sun Blind,inc Rear Side Window Blinds' 416 Rear Screen Roller Sun Blind,inc Rear Side Window Blinds 650
    Select 'Seat Heating For Rear Seats' 496 Seat Heating For Rear Seats 520
    Select 'Active front seat ventilation' 453 Active front seat ventilation 1,660
    Select 'Bluetooth Telephone Preparation' 644 Bluetooth Telephone Preparation 1,085
    Select 'Climate Comfort Glass' 356 Climate Comfort Glass 1,515
    Select 'Elec Rear Blind and Manual Side blinds' 416 Elec Rear Blind and Manual Side blinds 650
    Select 'Hi-Fi System Professional' 677 Hi-Fi System Professional 1,805
    Select 'Rear Blind - Electric' 415 Rear Blind - Electric 435
    Select 'Rear Seat Heating' 496 Rear Seat Heating 520
    Select 'Sun Protection Glass' 761 Sun Protection Glass 480
    Select 'Through Load System' 465 Through Load System 695
    Select 'TV Function' 601 TV Function 1,445
    Select 'Universal Remote Control' 319 Universal Remote Control 335
    Select 'Voice Control System' 620 Voice Control System 580
    Select 'M Multi-functional Seats - Front' 4MA M Multi-functional Seats - Front 2,525
    Select 'Madeira Walnut - High Gloss' 4ME Madeira Walnut - High Gloss 750
    Select 'Natural Olive Carrara - High Gloss' 4MK Natural Olive Carrara - High Gloss 750
    Select 'Alcantara Headlining' 776 Alcantara Headlining 2,020

so indeed if u spec it up indeed u are looking at 150k, in relative terms the type of person who can afford a car of that caliber, that isnt going to trouble them, when say the house they are living in is 1.5 million..... its all relative...still a crazy amount of money for a car, that u cant leave anywhere.........

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lomb wrote:
    nah unkel options are available, go to bmw.ie, click on M, then M5 (need IE not firefox)

Ah, my bad. I only looked at the default tab that comes up on the site which has the options for "Entertainment". There are indeed two other categories "Exterior": towbar - :rolleyes: :D
    and "Interior"

My guess is that very few of all these options will be selected by Irish M5 buyers as the standard car comes fully loaded even including satnav

BTW the site works fine for me with Firefox - what version you use? If it is not 1.0.4, get it now. There was a security leak in all previous versions :eek:

It works in firefox for me too but you can just barely see the 3 options when upi hover over the M tab

unkel wrote:
    Ah, my bad. I only looked at the default tab that comes up on the site which has the options for "Entertainment". There are indeed two other categories "Exterior": towbar - :rolleyes: :D
    and "Interior"

My guess is that very few of all these options will be selected by Irish M5 buyers as the standard car comes fully loaded even including satnav

BTW the site works fine for me with Firefox - what version you use? If it is not 1.0.4, get it now. There was a security leak in all previous versions :eek:

i have the latest version but i think it might b dodgy due to one of the extensions. i find firefox has alot of bugs pesonally. one of them is bmw.ie website i cant see the models when u hover over 3, 5,7, M series etc, only see them if i hover over blank spaces. mayb its just my browser :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

unkel wrote:
    He was telling porkies :rolleyes:

The list price is €134000 and this includes EVERYTHING. The only option is a whatever the hell that is for €335

BMW don't include everything in list prices - another little pet hate I've got :p

that particular one I'm talking about had quite a few extras hence the pricetag, but as he said you could spend a little more or a little less to get your hands on 'A new M5'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

If you like BMW's, this will really make you cry...

http://www.fabdirect.com/index02.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

AlanD wrote:
    But recently I saw a video that I got from some website (m5board.com I think) that showed the new M5 going through it's paces. It looked a really impressive car, but I thought it looked like it was on stilts or jacked up in some way! Maybe it's because the wheels are so big it has an off roader look about it, ah lá Volvo XC70 or Audi Allroad.

Any thoughts?
    http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=18124&PN=1&TPN=1 ;)

I think the aspect ratio may be abit screwed on that video and the car is alittle bigger than the outgoing model, no other complaints though (apart from mpg maybe), Tiff's the man. :cool:

528i wrote:
    http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=18124&PN=1&TPN=1 ;)

I think the aspect ratio may be abit screwed on that video and the car is alittle bigger than the outgoing model, no other complaints though (apart from mpg maybe), Tiff's the man. :cool:

I probably saw the same UK reg'd M5 on the N7 as an earlier poster saw, but I thought in the metal, it looked as tall as it did on the video. It just doesn't look squat enough for me. Definitely wouldn't say no to one though.

HHmm....I wonder would the wife mind if I sold the house for an M5.....I could live

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

kbannon wrote:
    A friend of mine managed to get one on loan from a dealer recently. He rang me when in it and it sounded the business. He was driving from Dundrum onto the M50 when he called. Within seconds it was comfortably doing 90mph in 3rd.
    Apparently there were about half a dozen of them being driven around the M50/M1 by BMW Irl staff at night to help them (ahem) 'bed in'!

ya, i saw one driving throught Dundrum awhile back, very impressive looking..

Well, today I saw about 15 of them at the launch and all i can say is wwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Fair enough they look awful but there is four pipes sticking out the back that echo the roar from the V10 engine which got me aroused!

Went again today
    Stuck pics on my site...
    http://www.bmwmovies.net/thumbnails.php?album=60

where is it that all these cars are? I know it's for the launch, but where's the launch?

9mpg! :eek:
    normal_SV400029.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Just been informed by my sister that her husbands brother (is he still my brother in law?) has ordered a new M5, or has just got it delivered (hazy communication from the UK). He was going to get a recent Aston of some sort but changed his mind at some point during the past six months. Will update with more details asap, over there in 3 weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

9mpg @ 22.4mph average wtf !! :eek:

It takes a serious thrashing to get the E39 M5 down to 9mpg, averaging 16mph around town generally, are those brake pads gone already ?

ok so why is the computer on that M5 showing speed in miles and fuel consumption in miles per gallon? I presume it can be changed but it's just odd to see it on a new 2005 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Nice to see the owner is listening to KildareFM ! :D

• Advertisement

@ AlanD - Weston aerodrome in Lucan - Monday, Tuesday & this morning was for owners and prospective buyers. This afternoon was for journos and photographers.

@ prospect - no audible radio - only the sound of a revved V10!

@ AlanD - I didn't notice that but presume that it is changeable - the speedo is metricified

The 9mpg could be attributed to the fact that apparently they were really hammering it this morning. Some of the cars are de-restricted and were recorded doing just shy of 200mph. The restricted versions are limited to 155mph but apparently they can get another 10-15mph if they stay in 6th gear rather than 7th!

There is also a rev counter projected on the windscreen - no taking eyes off road!

Advertisement