Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership - 4 points for an away win?

• 30-05-2005 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭

Premiership clubs could receive four points for an away win under plans to be discussed by team bosses who want to make games more entertaining.
    The radical idea will be floated at this week's Premier League annual meeting, which will hear calls for dramatic changes to address rising concern that there are too many boring, irrelevant matches.

In a briefing note to chairmen before this week's gathering, Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has listed the many challenges that clubs face if the Premiership is to safeguard its status as the world's most popular and most lucrative league. It is a summary of areas of concern identified by the league's Attendances Working Group, which was set up last November to examine whether the increase in the number of matches shown on Sky television - up from 106 to 138 - and prices charged by clubs were affecting crowd levels.

The issues include 'quality of football - negativity, formations, less attacking play' and what many clubs believe is the closely related issue of 'competitiveness of the League - predictability, including points structure'. The recent decline in the number of away fans, the increased number of matches moved from Saturday 3pm kick-offs to suit television and negative impact of misbehaviour by players and managers are also on the agenda.
    Several club chairmen and chief executives told Observer Sport yesterday of their fears that the tendency for teams to opt for safety-first football, deploying only one forward in a cautious attempt to avoid defeat, was producing too much dull play, leaving fans frustrated.

'Last season more and more teams played 4-5-1,' said one chairman. 'It may help them pick up more points than they might otherwise have got and increase their chances of staying up, but it's often not exciting. There are too many irrelevant, unmemorable games, especially involving teams in the middle of the table who won't get relegated or get into Europe, and especially towards the end of the season.'

Another chairman said: 'This trend towards 4-5-1 is understandable - the financial consequences of not surviving in the Premiership are serious - but it cannot be good for the Premier League in the long run. There are signs that, combined with the saturation coverage of games on TV and the cost and hassle of attending matches, this could make some fans stop coming.'

Encouraging the visiting team to attack by awarding them four points for a win is one of the ideas to be discussed. Concern about the attractiveness of the Premiership will be heightened by the revelation that matches televised by Sky suffered a 10 per cent fall in their average audience last season. Official figures from the British Audience Research Bureau published last week by TV Sports Markets magazine show that an average of 1.224million viewers per match tuned in during the 2004-05 season, a drop of 9.7 per cent on the previous season's 1.356m.

Club executives say that, with 32 further fixtures being shown and league rules requiring each team to be screened a certain number of times, a loss in the quality of some games shown - and reduction in the average audience - was inevitable. However, league chiefs are heartened by the fact that the total number of viewers watching live games over the course of the season has risen. It went up from 89.5m in 2003-04 to 107.7m, an increase of 20.4 per cent.

The annual meeting may also hear rumbles of discontent about the way the Premier League share out broadcasting revenue and claims that clubs below the unofficial Big Four of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool get too little. But new figures from the League, revealing how much each club earned last season, show the gap between the top and bottom clubs has narrowed. Chelsea, the champions, received £30.7m, while Southampton, who finished bottom, were paid £18.4m.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

How about 2 points for a win, no points for a draw and a bonus point for scoring 2 or more goals?
    A pretty major shake up of the points system, but it would definitely make teams push for the win, and it would push winning teams to score even more.

I don't have any statistics to hand, but how many nil all draws where there in the PL last year? How many draws in fact?
    Football can be great to watch, but it can also be terrible to sit through a scoreless 90 minutes.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Source?

Interesting idea though. I wouldn't mind seeing that. I wouldn't really mind not seeing it, either :)
    As for discussing formations... that sounds a bit dodgy. It's not like they can order teams to play 5 strikers or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Balfa wrote:
    Source?

Interesting idea though. I wouldn't mind seeing that. I wouldn't really mind not seeing it, either :)

The Guardian

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1494905,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

who thinks glaziers behind all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Take it wrote:
    who thinks glaziers behind all this?

Ha ha ha, Conspiracies abound! You could be right! and Murdock as well to get the TV figures up!!!
    Sounds like a wierd idea, but there might be some merit in it!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

K!LL!@N wrote:
    How about 2 points for a win, no points for a draw and a bonus point for scoring 2 or more goals?
    A pretty major shake up of the points system, but it would definitely make teams push for the win, and it would push winning teams to score even more.

I don't have any statistics to hand, but how many nil all draws where there in the PL last year? How many draws in fact?
    Football can be great to watch, but it can also be terrible to sit through a scoreless 90 minutes.
    Killian

quite possibly the worst idea I have ever heard. You want to make losing a game the same as drawing. way to ruin football there mate.

The 4 points for an away win is an interesting concept though it would make games more interesting I think. I would like to see it tried out somewhere first though perhaps in a pre-season tournament or something. I dont think you could just dive in and change the rules like that because it could end up making things worse. Very interesting idea though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Typical BS from the men in suits.

Ask any fan, player, board or manager would they prefer their side to be 'entertaining' or 'successful' and I think you'll get a pretty definitive and unanimous answer. So you could offer 10 points for an away win and you won't change away teams attitudes game. WestBrom aren't suddenly gonna turn up at Old Trafford all guns blazing at the prospect of a 4 point booty for positive play. 1 point in the hand is worth 4 in the bush so to speak.

If the prem want to reduce the number of 'irrelevant' games in it then I suggest they slice the divison into 5 leagues of 4 and leave it that way because that is essentially all they've got in 2005 and no amount of 4-5-1 contributed to that situation.

Alternatively offering zero points for a draw to away teams might shake them up a bit because they'd suddenly be left with nothing to lose (and nothing to gain from negative tactics).

//

Stats:

There was a total of 110 draws in the 380 prem games last season
    There was a total of 30 0-0 draws in the 380 prem games last season

# of 0-0 (home team)
    ========================
    4 Man United
    3 Chelsea, Southampton, West Brom
    2 Aston Villa, Birmingham, Blackburn, Crystal P, Newcastle, Tottenham
    1 Bolton, Charlton, Fulham, Liverpool, Norwich
    0 Arsenal, Everton, Man City, Middlesbro,Portsmouth

# of 0-0 (away team)
    ========================
    4 Blackburn, Man City
    3 Charlton
    2 Everton, Man United, Middlesbro, Norwich, Southampton, Tottenham
    1 Arsenal, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Chelsea, Crystal P, Newcastle, Portsmouth
    0 Bolton, Fulham, Liverpool, West Brom

# of 0-0 (total)
    ========================
    6 Man United, Blackburn,
    5 Southampton,
    4 Tottenham, Man City, Chelsea, Charlton
    3 West Brom, Norwich, Newcastle, Crystal P, Birmingham, Aston Villa,
    2 Middlesbro, Everton,
    1 Portsmouth, Liverpool, Fulham, Bolton, Arsenal,

I guess that could suggest Blackburn play for a lot of draws and that a lot of teams come to OldTrafford looking for draws. Alternatively it could just mean that ManU can't break down stubborn defenses and that Blackburn are a poor attacking outfit. Its all just numbers at the end of the day.

//

btw the fa cup final was one of the better games I've seen this year so 0-0 and defensive football isn't alwasy necessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"Premiership clubs could receive four points for an away win under plans to be discussed by team bosses who want to make games more entertaining."

Did somebody say 'extra-time multiball'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Pigman II wrote:
    btw the fa cup final was one of the better games I've seen this year so 0-0 and defensive football isn't alwasy necessarily a bad thing.

I thought the fa cup final was a very poor game. It was totally one sided Arsenal were never in it and offered nothing in attack. These are the type of games the fa want to make more exciting in that BOTH teams offering good attacking football.

However I say just leave it the way it is. Its fine the way it is every single game cant be a 4-3 thriller. A 1-0 is just as good for the team that wins and no amount of tinkering with the points system is going to make the PL any closer. If anything a 4 points for away win will make the gap between the bigger and smaller clubs even more with the bigger clubs winning alot more away games than the smaller and therefore getting alot more 4 point wins.

It is an interesting idea and I would like to see it tested out but I dont think it would work and I think football is fine the way it is. Things shouldnt be changed just so the suits at sky tv are happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I think it's a super idea and I hope it comes into effect before the next season kicks off. Otherwise we'll have every Everton wannabe - including Everton themselves - playing 4-5-1. That would be too much to take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

A change might be good - wodd prefer to see something like this

Win - 4 points
    Score Draw - 2 points
    0-0 Draw 1 Point

Any team scoring more than 3 goals get a bonus point regardless of the result.

Kingp35 wrote:
    I thought the fa cup final was a very poor game. It was totally one sided Arsenal were never in it and offered nothing in attack. These are the type of games the fa want to make more exciting in that BOTH teams offering good attacking football.

That's exactly why I liked it. Sometimes I can enjoy a match where one team is pushing and the other is having to soak it all up as much as an end to end thriller. As far as I'm concerned its all about the quality of whats going on , not the number of times the ball hits the back of the net. A lot of people might not enjoy 'siege mentality' type football but I for think it's great. I sooner watch a tape of that final again rather than sit thru Soton 4-3 Norwich in a match that only ended that way because neither side had a clue how to defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Keep it as it is , 'Did somebody say 'extra-time multiball'?' is exactly what came to my mind .

Pigman II wrote:
    That's exactly why I liked it. Sometimes I can enjoy a match where one team is pushing and the other is having to soak it all up as much as an end to end thriller. As far as I'm concerned its all about the quality of whats going on , not the number of times the ball hits the back of the net. A lot of people might not enjoy 'siege mentality' type football but I for think it's great. I sooner watch a tape of that final again rather than sit thru Soton 4-3 Norwich in a match that only ended that way because neither side had a clue how to defend.

I agree I like watching good football be it defending or attacking but arsenal were very poor in both aspects that day. They defended very bad it was just than man u missed so many chances it was unreal they should have buried tham and this coming from a leeds fan so i hate man u.
    Ardent wrote:
    I think it's a super idea and I hope it comes into effect before the next season kicks off. Otherwise we'll have every Everton wannabe - including Everton themselves - playing 4-5-1. That would be too much to take.

Just because evrton didnt thrill the world doesnt mean they are boring.Look at the stats. Everton were involved in only 2 0-0 draws in the entire season.They finished fourth in the league and are now in Europe. ask any everton fan are they mad their team didnt play attacking football last season. I very much doubt they are. Oh by the way Chelsea,Man u and liverpool all played a 4-5-1 system last season both chelsea and Man u for almost the whole season. Do you have a problem with those teams? Think before you write my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

just leave it alone, it works, its fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Kingp35 wrote:
    Just because evrton didnt thrill the world doesnt mean they are boring.

Of course it's boring. And it's s h i t to watch. I hated Everton and Bolton's dogs of war tactics this season. It's not about football any more, it's about money. The way Everton played at home against Man Utd was a disgrace - that's not football.

I'm a Liverpool fan and I'm delighted we have Rafa Benitez. Houllier destroyed my love for the game but Rafa is restoring it - he at least tries most of the time to play the game in a way if should be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Do they not realise that making every game super-exciting would eventually get boring? The thrill in watching a game is hoping for a special match with lots of action and goals. If you get that EVERY game, it's not gonna be interesting for very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It doesnt work fine.
    Lower teams are playing fear football which results in the goal of Chelsea/Arsenal/Utd/Everton/Liverpool is to break down a defense over a 90 minute period. They normally do, but the odd time they don't, and its a great result.
    When good teams get attacked, they aren't as good as when they play against defenders, Liverpool vs. AC milan highlights this perfectly imo. Norwich vs. United.

I think 4 points for the away thing is silly, but I'd like to see 4 points for a win.
    4 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss. That'd mean that bottom clubs have to try and win, as 1 point just isn't good enough.

PHB wrote:
    It doesnt work fine.
    Lower teams are playing fear football which results in the goal of Chelsea/Arsenal/Utd/Everton/Liverpool is to break down a defense over a 90 minute period. They normally do, but the odd time they don't, and its a great result.
    When good teams get attacked, they aren't as good as when they play against defenders, Liverpool vs. AC milan highlights this perfectly imo. Norwich vs. United.
    QUOTE]

If it was that simple they would attack!!! The reason thay do that is because they know they will lose if they dont.
    Ardent wrote:
    Of course it's boring. And it's s h i t to watch. I hated Everton and Bolton's dogs of war tactics this season. It's not about football any more, it's about money. The way Everton played at home against Man Utd was a disgrace - that's not football

Stop talking rubbish!Where in the name of god did you get its all about money from? Its all about winning and doing the best you can! Bolton have found a way of playing that wins matches.why in the name of hell would they wanna change. You people are forgetting that yeah sport is entertaining but its about winning!! End of story. Its all about money thats wny they play like they do. Thats some comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Reduce the size of the premiership to 12 teams(well 14 or 16)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

They wioll be pushing for differnt goal totals depending where the ball was struck from next. Load of cock imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bazH wrote:
    Reduce the size of the premiership to 12 teams(well 14 or 16)

that is what they should be doing, not this 4 points for an away win crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I think leave it alone...

I would like to see the number of teams reduced but that would lead to two major problems..

1. Less games to watch..
    2. Would make the already wealthy clubs even richer and therefore less real competition which is what we want..

Something has to be done to stop the PL turning into the SPL where it is really a three horse race...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It smacks of an attempt to Americanize the game. Reminds me of around USA '94 when there was talk of widening the goals to make matches more high scoring affairs? (We'll forget about breaking games into four quarters to fit in more commercials!).

Also, if teams have to restructure to suit the new system, how will they fare playing in Europe? Assuming UEFA stick with the old (and better) system. I wouldn't fancy Liverpool's chances against Milan if they had gotten rid of most of their defensive minded players to rack up more league points.
    (Cue shrieks of "DEFENSIVE? They let in three in the first half!)

I don't think it's broke so don't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

They will end up changing it into a totally different game soon football will be called

'the sport formally known as football'

The system is fine done mess it up, and this really does bang of Americanization

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bolton are all about winning, the reason they do this is because they can't afford not to win. They actually can't afford it.

Its in their best interests in the long term that the league is widely supported, and this will happen if attacking football is played.

If you make it so that they can't afford not to attack, then they will not only help themselves, they will help the league in the long run.
    If they don't do something, it will become like the Italian league and teams will have the problems Juve have, in which case we're all ****ed

Pigman II wrote:
    Ask any fan, player, board or manager would they prefer their side to be 'entertaining' or 'successful' and I think you'll get a pretty definitive and unanimous answer.
    That's exactly the point. They've already got fans, players, boards and managers. They're trying to appeal to casual viewers by offering more goals. And then maybe casual viewers become fans. Revenue goes up. Especially for the smaller clubs who are all about looking for draws. Competition becomes more balanced. Revenue goes up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hell why not introduce a handicap system - all promoted teams start with 10 points!

Mike.

Balfa wrote:
    That's exactly the point. They've already got fans, players, boards and managers. They're trying to appeal to casual viewers by offering more goals. And then maybe casual viewers become fans. Revenue goes up. Especially for the smaller clubs who are all about looking for draws. Competition becomes more balanced. Revenue goes up again.

Yeah but my point is that at the end of the day the club is going to play in a way that suits the club .... not some punter sitting on a barstool. So unless you start giving them some VERY concrete reason to abandon their tactics they're not going to change their play for a potential 4pts. Case in point, 3pts for a win was introduced in 1981-82 to encourage attacking play but there was actually a higher percentage of draws last season than in 1980-81.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im surprisd nobody mentioned the fact that we tried that here in the loi a good while back and it wasnt the most successful thing ever, if i remember correctly

Pigman II wrote:
    So unless you start giving them some VERY concrete reason to abandon their tactics they're not going to change their play
    Fair point. It's just a matter of how many points is enough then.
    Case in point, 3pts for a win was introduced in 1981-82 to encourage attacking play but there was actually a higher percentage of draws last season than in 1980-81.
    A comparison between 80-81 and 81-82 would actually be useful. Considering only nil-all draws would be even more useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Problem with this is as Pigman mentioned kinda .

Home teams would set out not to lose and away set to attack, the home fans paid more money to see the game and would be paying to watch their team play for a draw or not to lose weekin week out.

It be shot down hopefully.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Sounds like a terrible idea... leave it alone. Its fine the way it is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dreadful idea. As someone already said "Extra time Multiball" was the first thought that crossed my mind when I heard this. Less teams in the top division is what is needed.

Whats next, I know lets break the game down into quarters more advertising revenue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think it would be a good idea. I've lost count of home many times, teams have come to the Cross and looking for a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Balfa wrote:
    Fair point. It's just a matter of how many points is enough then.A comparison between 80-81 and 81-82 would actually be useful. Considering only nil-all draws would be even more useful.

1980-81 (2pts for win)
    ============
    games = 462
    draws = 118
    0-0 draws = 30

1981-82 (3pts for win)
    ============
    games = 462
    draws = 121
    0-0 draws = 42

Ironically, this would suggest that 3 points actually INCREASED negative football. However I think a fairer view would be to say that it probably made no difference whatsoever in the long term and I'm sure if you worked it out over a large number of seasons (which I'm certainly not going to do :) ) one would see that the two systems would probably coverge towards almost identical numbers.

Since Premiership began looks like last year is about average (8.22%)
    Will post back farther later.

Year Games 0-0 % of games
    1992 - 462 - 41 - 8.87%
    1993 - 462 - 32 - 6.93%
    1994 - 462 - 37 - 8.01%
    1995 - 462 - 40 - 8.66%
    1996 - 462 - 27 - 5.84%
    1997 - 462 - 41 - 8.87%
    1998 - 380 - 33 - 8.68%
    1999 - 380 - 49 - 12.89%
    2000 - 380 - 22 - 5.79%
    2001 - 380 - 28 - 7.37%
    2002 - 380 - 34 - 8.95%
    2003 - 380 - 21 - 5.53%
    2004 - 380 - 41 - 10.79%
    2005 - 380 - 30 - 7.89%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

would be intresting to see how last years table would have worked out with those changes

4 points for away win table

Team Adj Total
    Chelsea 110
    Arsenal 95
    Manchester U 87
    Everton 67
    Bolton Wan 65
    Liverpool 63
    Middlesbrough 60
    Manchester C 57
    Tottenham H 57
    Aston Villa 51
    Charlton Ath 50
    Birmingham C 48
    Fulham 48
    Newcastle U 47
    Blackburn R 46
    Portsmouth 41
    West Brom 35
    Crystal P 34
    Norwich C 33
    Southampton 33

Regular Table
    Chelsea 95
    Arsenal 83
    Manchester U 77
    Everton 61
    Bolton Wan 58
    Liverpool 58
    Middlesbrough 55
    Manchester C 52
    Tottenham H 52
    Aston Villa 47
    Charlton Ath 46
    Birmingham C 45
    Fulham 44
    Newcastle U 44
    Blackburn R 42
    Portsmouth 39
    West Brom 34
    Crystal P 33
    Norwich C 33
    Southampton 32

Notice no change bar Liverpool dropping - top4 and bottom4 unchanged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I think it should be left alone as i previously stated, but perhaps taking a leaf out of the 'rugby heineken cup' book and awarding a bonus point for scoring 4 goals in a game may be interesting????

ziggy67 wrote:
    One thing i would like see tried out is the abandonment of the offside rule during extratime.

It might be worth a try, what do you all think?

would you be adding an extra two or three balls onto the pitch too ?

A player could permanently stand in front of a goalkeeper to block the view of all shots .

Its a terrible idea , and would piss off every defender that its sugested to and every manager .

everybody who is in favour of this must be crazy. You are talking about improving the league and making it more exciting. Would you stop and think about the new rules. It would mean that the top 4 teams would pull even firther away from the smaller teams in that they win more away games. This makes the league less exciting and more like the SPL.

Its a terrible idea. Plus all you people seem to want the likes of Bolton to go out and attack. Bolton are not good at that all that would happen would be they lose hence they are not gonna change no matter what happens. A team plays to their strengths and I dont care if Bolton are boring they win games with average players and alot has to be said for it. Its not about silky football its about winning football games.

Everyone should think about what this rule would actually do. It wouldnt make teams attack more and it would increase the gap between the big and small clubs. Now tell if that would be more exciting?? I dont think so

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PHB wrote:
    Bolton are all about winning, the reason they do this is because they can't afford not to win. They actually can't afford it.

As opposed to who exactly? Which teams go out just for a laugh, not giving a fiddler's fart if they win or lose? Bolton, like pretty much every team in the Premiership can't afford to get relegated, so they try to win more points than their opponents. Is this strange?
    Its in their best interests in the long term that the league is widely supported, and this will happen if attacking football is played.
    If teams start attacking more, other teams will just start defending more. There is no way to ensure that the weaker teams try not to lose, even if you scrap relegation/promotion and introduce a draft system...
    If you make it so that they can't afford not to attack, then they will not only help themselves, they will help the league in the long run.
    Attacking is great until you get hit on the counter. Even with 15 points for an away win, Bolton will be beaten by Chelsea if they attack them non-stop, and losing, presumably will still be a no-pointer in the new Premiership Plus with added potassium and go-faster stripes.
    If they don't do something, it will become like the Italian league and teams will have the problems Juve have, in which case we're all ****ed
    Have a look at the number of goals scored in the Italian league this season, particularly weeks 34-36. I presume that's some sort of joke about teams having to suffer the ignominy of rolling around in cash and picking up their 28th league title?

IMHO, the only way to produce more exciting football is to even the teams up a bit. My proposition would be to have the winner of the Premiership donate its three best players to the last team above the relegation places, and get a trio of work-shy donkeys in return. The champions would still have to pay the better players' wages until the end of their contract. Likewise, the second team gives away their two star players to the team in 15th, in exchange for a couple of ageing journeymen, the FA Cup winners donate their captain to the non-league side suffering the worst defeat in the first round, and so on, with the European champs following their on-field celebrations with the ceremonial handing-over of the MOTM to the Azeri conference-league newbies.
    This way, teams would be somewhat reluctant to win games by big margins, and the clever ones would aim for fourth place, thereby squeezing into the Champions League (a competition whose final they'll aim to lose narrowly) and keeping all their players. The fourth-place battle was the only interesting thing outside of the relegation dogfight, so if the top three were in the mix, as well as the euro-hopefuls it'd be one hell of a nai-biter down to the last week.
    Also, with the promoted teams gaining one player each from the relegated sides, tapping-up would become a complicated business. Covet that young bright-eyed European from struggling Southampton? Don't get your hopes up, because when they go down, he's off to promoted West Ham for a year!
    Imagine Lampard pushed out to West Brom - he'd better make damn sure they stay up or it's a season in the Championship for him! But wait, no, he's straight back up again once Preston lay their claim.

I'm sure there's some minor flaw in this system, but I can't see it for now.

I'm sure there's some minor flaw in this system, but I can't see it for now.

The only flaw I see is no mention of the League Cup .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    No Big Ears i wouldn't be adding any extra balls onto the pitch, though why you would ask that when i never mentioned anything of the sort is beyond me.....oh wait you were being sarcastic,yes, hilarious!

The reason that i am suggesting this is to make extra time more attacking so of course defenders would hate it although i'm not sure why managers would. Interesting point about standing in front of the goalie though- i hadn't considered that

The game would turn into chaos , it would be like schoolyard football , centre backs would become like goalkeepers always in their box because thats where the centre forward is and if you think about it wingers being so far advanced stops full-backs from attacking , what you would be doing would be making the game even more defensive .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Personally I dont think 4 points for a win would make games more exciting - but if it was brought in there should be no difference between home and away wins.

What would definitely make a difference would be : No goals then no points, therefore 0-0 gets 0 points for either side. But I think it would be unfair on the smaller teams. Surely every team has the right to "park the bus in front of the goals" if the manager deems that the best tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

I already see unofficial agreements between smaller teams..."I let you win in my pitch, you let me win in yours" ..4 points each out of two games are not bad, and would avoid risk of wasted points with draws (ie. both games between the two team ends up in a draw, giving them only 2 points each)...

TERRIBLE IDEA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ziggy67 wrote:
    No Big Ears i wouldn't be adding any extra balls onto the pitch, though why you would ask that when i never mentioned anything of the sort is beyond me.....oh wait you were being sarcastic,yes, hilarious!

The reason that i am suggesting this is to make extra time more attacking so of course defenders would hate it although i'm not sure why managers would. Interesting point about standing in front of the goalie though- i hadn't considered that

Could you imagine what would have happened in the cl final if the was no offside in extra time? The Liverpool players were absolutely shattered wouldnt have had the legs to chase anyone. Milan would have just drawn them out and run them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement