Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Could CVT spell the end for petrol?

Options
  • 30-05-2005 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Continuously Variable Transmission allows an engine to constantly remain at the peak torque rpm, right?

And diesel engines have a much higher (typically double) peak torque than petrol engines. Historically, petrol engines provide better performance by having a much wider torque band. But now that CVT makes torque width irrelevant, diesels should be able to provide twice the torque all the time.

So why hasn't there been a big revolution of performance diesels with CVT? Why does Audi's diesel CVT not perform particularly better than manual? I know that CVT is slightly less efficient than a conventional gearbox, but even so, diesels should (in theory) perform, relatively, far better with CVT than petrols do. Even a turbodiesel has a much narrower torque band than petrol.

I know there are issues like the above mentioned lack of efficiency, the fact that CVTs can't withstand that much torque, the fact that CVTs currently cost much more than they're worth, etc., but still...

So what's going on? Is there something wrong with my logic?

Advertisement