Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good long-distance car, less than 14k

Options
  • 30-05-2005 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Right.

I've been doing some research but I'm no genius when it comes to cars. I expect to be facing a 160km/100mile daily commute in the near future, and I am giving up my annual bus/rail pass in favour of purchasing a car.

Now. I said 14k, but I'd rather spend less than 11k unless the car in question is brand new.

I need motorway fuel efficiency. The car would rarely be in a town/city.

I need a low insurance banding, because I'm driving on an international licence until I get my full licence test.

I like automatics, but can drive manuals.

I like small cars and I have short legs, so I have no need for legroom. :D

The car is not a family car, would not be used for travelling, needs to be good for the long daily drive and for picking up groceries, etc.

Any suggestions? I've been looking at 03 Micras, 04/05 Pandas, Lupos, puntos, etc.

Could I be better off looking at older, higher-range cars rather than the newer budget models? :confused:

I'm grateful for any help you guys can give me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Welcome to Boards,

There is a whole lot of personal prefernce thing here, you'll get people saying this make is great, and this is crap, then others contradicting them, etc.

I would recommend, you stick with the smaller car, and go for a 1.4 diesel engine, that'll last the high mileage, and give you very good fuel economy. Also, it is no more expensive to insure, or tax.

Best of luck.

Also, browse:
    www.carzone.ie
    www.cbg.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

Thanks for the welcome!

Sure, I know I'll get loads of opinions, but that's what I want, because there's always some information to be found amongst it all!

-- another question, airconditioning is quite important to me. Is this something that can be added to old cars, or would I have to find something that already has it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

You'll find that the bigger cars mondeo/avensis class will have much more comfortable roadholding for long hauling it. The smaller cars just jump around too much. You'll also get AC standard on most of these models, and performance won't be impacted as much by using it either. AC on a 1L or 1.4 is a joke imho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bill Gates

I'm selling this car, and I think it would be ideal for what you want :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=261509

• Advertisement

Bill Gates wrote:
    I'm selling this car, and I think it would be ideal for what you want :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=261509
    of course you do! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

prospect wrote:
    Welcome to Boards,

There is a whole lot of personal prefernce thing here, you'll get people saying this make is great, and this is crap, then others contradicting them, etc.

I would recommend, you stick with the smaller car, and go for a 1.4 diesel engine, that'll last the high mileage, and give you very good fuel economy. Also, it is no more expensive to insure, or tax.

Best of luck.

Also, browse:
    www.carzone.ie
    www.cbg.ie

Good suggestion about the 1.4 Diesel. You said you like small cars, so how about the Fiesta 1.4 TDCi ? It's by no means blisteringly fast, but it will be very ecomonical given the high milage you're going to do.

DC.

The disadvantages of the smaller cars at motorway speeds is that if the wind is blowing you're gonna be all over the place.. In a bigger car it'll be much more comfortable.. I used to do similar mileage as you are doing and a lot of it at motorway speeds..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm selling this car, and I think it would be ideal for what you want
    [URL=http://]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=261509[/URL]

of course you do! ha ha

Actually, you could do a lot worse than a Mark 4 golf, it sits nicely between a city run-around and a long-journey car.

eoin_s wrote:
    Actually, you could do a lot worse than a Mark 4 golf, it sits nicely between a city run-around and a long-journey car.

If you're commuting you want operational lights. Forget about anything from Volkswagen is this is a requirement.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sorry... What?

css wrote:
    If you're commuting you want operational lights. Forget about anything from Volkswagen is this is a requirement.. ;)

Do you mean that Golfs blow lights quite a lot? Lots of threads here about rear-lights going on Golfs, but at most this is a minor annoyance and they are dead easy to replace.

I've looked at some of the older Golfs... but I've never seen a mark 4. I've seen a mark 5 though.

What's the reason for saying Mark 4 would be good?

eoin_s wrote:
    Do you mean that Golfs blow lights quite a lot? Lots of threads here about rear-lights going on Golfs, but at most this is a minor annoyance and they are dead easy to replace.

Right, well if you ever come upon one in fog you'll see how much of a 'minor annoyance' this is.. they blow a lot of front lights too from what i've seen. And that's just looking at the other cars on the roads. Not a problem you might say, but if you are after an easy to look after car, changing bulbs every few weeks isn't my idea of 'easy to look after'... sorry..

I've looked at some of the older Golfs... but I've never seen a mark 4. I've seen a mark 5 though.

What's the reason for saying Mark 4 would be good?

You must have seen a Mark 4! - it is this type

I had one before my current car, and apart from niggly little things like the rear lights going I found it a pretty solid car, and one that was a good mixture between a city run about and also quite comfy on long journeys.

I also think it is one of the nicest looking hatchbacks around. It appeals to a huge range of people, so re-selling it won't be a problem. They can be considered quite expensive for what you get, but if you find one for a good price - and the one posted on boards.ie does seem reasonably priced - then I would consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I agree about getting a small Diesel car. If you're buying new, than the Fiesta is thousands outside your budget. The Fiat Panda has a list price of €14k and has the excellent 1.25 Fiat Multijet Diesel engine

On motorway / main road journeys you can expect to get 70MPG, it's cheap to tax and insure

Here's what honestjohn says about the car:
    honestjohn wrote:
    Very small. Very handy. A hoot to drive. Surprisingly refined. Excellent gearshift. Worthy Car of the Year winner. Multijet price £7,747. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

EDIT: Airconditioning is indeed an optional extra for around €600 but I'm confident they'll throw that in for nought :)

Thanks for all the advice peeps, I've a lot to think about!

css wrote:
    AC on a 1L or 1.4 is a joke imho..

Dunno about 1L, but I have a 1.4L petrol megane, and when driving the air con has absoloutly 0% noticable impact on teh performance or driving of the car. Fuel economy drops by 1% or 2%, but thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

For motorway efficiency and fuel economy for the money you are looking to spend you can pick up either of the following

Nissan Micra 1.5 DCi
    Peugeot 206 LX 1.4 HDi

or Fiat Punto Multijet 1.3

All have neccesary torque to assist in motorway overtaking whilst being particulary stingy on fuel. Expect to get in the region of 55-65 mpg from all 3.

Some pre 04 206's have air con as standard too as well as rain sensing wipers and auto headlights. Lots of goodies.

See Prospects link to cbg cars.

RedorDead wrote:
    For motorway efficiency and fuel economy for the money you are looking to spend you can pick up either of the following

Nissan Micra 1.5 DCi
    Peugeot 206 LX 1.4 HDi

or Fiat Punto Multijet 1.3

All have neccesary torque to assist in motorway overtaking whilst being particulary stingy on fuel. Expect to get in the region of 55-65 mpg from all 3.

Some pre 04 206's have air con as standard too as well as rain sensing wipers and auto headlights. Lots of goodies.

See Prospects link to cbg cars.

Try driving any of the above on a windy day and you'll be all over the shop. And the bigger cars will be wanting you to pull over outta the way.. while you struggle to keep your little peapod between the white lines..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

css wrote:
    Try driving any of the above on a windy day and you'll be all over the shop. And the bigger cars will be wanting you to pull over outta the way.. while you struggle to keep your little peapod between the white lines..
    Many larger cars are badly affected by side winds too, you know? It has more to do with aerodynamics than pure size or weight. And if, indeed, you're driving a car that is badly affected by side winds, regardless of it's size, then yes you should reduce your speed and drive more carefully ... no shame in that.

css wrote:

If it is so bad, why is there so many on the road,
    I am afraid this is BS. Sure alot of cars to catch side winds, but if you drive it carefully and reduce speed, then no problemo.

Funnily, you will find that 40ft curtain side truck are probably the worst affected by motorway cross winds, is your car 'bigger' or 'heavier' than these?

I'm giving my opinion because I was in a very similar position a few years ago. Test drive some of those small cars and see how they sit at 120kph, and then take out a bigger car and see the difference at 120kph. Then notice how much more comfortable the bigger car is, and then sit back and think, i'm gonna be doing 500 miles a week in this car, do i want something that's going to be comfortable to drive at the speed i will want to, and be comfortable to sit in for the time i'm going to be spending in the car, or does the extra 5mpg that i'll save by getting a smaller car justify the lesser comfort. It's a trade off. 1.4 and 1.5 diesels sound good in theory, but in reality you'll have to drive the nuts off them, and the quoted mpg figures aren't accurate when you do this. It's nothing to do with shame either alun.

Like I said i used to do over 120 miles a day and had the exact same decision to make. My advice is to make a list of your priorities as to what you want from the car and make your decision accordingly. Oh and make sure you have ABS near to top. If the year on the reg plate is near the top, then off you go with a smaller newer car, but i'd look at 3 year old mondeo/avensis/laguna sized cars personally, having done the commute thing.

prospect wrote:
    If it is so bad, why is there so many on the road,
    I am afraid this is BS. Sure alot of cars to catch side winds, but if you drive it carefully and reduce speed, then no problemo.

Funnily, you will find that 40ft curtain side truck are probably the worst affected by motorway cross winds, is your car 'bigger' or 'heavier' than these?

Why? Tax, insurance, and loads of other non-related reasons.

It's aerodynamics, go read about it. Those smaller cars are usually higher to make them seem roomier. Plus the shorter wheel base will exaggerate the effect. BS? Drive each car and see what's affected more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

css wrote:

It's aerodynamics, go read about it. Those smaller cars are usually higher to make them seem roomier. Plus the shorter wheel base will exaggerate the effect. BS? Drive each car and see what's affected more :rolleyes:
    Aerodynamics is about more than just height. The shape of the side of the car and the shape of the underfloor can affect this too ... remember the first "jelly mould" Ford Sierra's? They were terrible in side winds despite their size.

No one's disputing that some cars are more affected by side winds than others, and size and weight will have some impact on this, although it's not the whole story by any means. The question is whether the difference is big enough to sway a buying decision one way or another, since there are many other reasons why someone might want to buy a smaller car that may override this one factor.

css wrote:

BS, yes, Aerodynamics!!! The larger the surface area exposed to the wind, the stronger the wind-push effect.

I drive cars of every type, every day, its part of my job.

Yes small cars do feel lighter on a motorway, but absoloutly nothing worth mentioning. You try drive an empty LWB transit van with a raised roof and you'll know all about it.

prospect wrote:
    Yes small cars do feel lighter on a motorway, but absoloutly nothing worth mentioning.

That's your opinion prospect, i gave mine.

True.

Alun wrote:
    Aerodynamics is about more than just height. The shape of the side of the car and the shape of the underfloor can affect this too ... remember the first "jelly mould" Ford Sierra's? They were terrible in side winds despite their size.

No one's disputing that some cars are more affected by side winds than others, and size and weight will have some impact on this, although it's not the whole story by any means. The question is whether the difference is big enough to sway a buying decision one way or another, since there are many other reasons why someone might want to buy a smaller car that may override this one factor.

I agree, but I have driven in gales and the car's been rock solid and i've seen cars around me struggle to hold their lane even. I'm saying it's a factor to be considered, along with all the other ones I've mentioned. Telling someone to buy a city car for a commuting car is f**king stupid, there's a hell of a lot more factors to taking into account apart from mpg.

• Advertisement

css wrote:
    Telling someone to buy a city car for a commuting car is f**king stupid, there's a hell of a lot more factors to taking into account apart from mpg.

City Car = Dihatsu Domino, Fiat Cinciquento (spellin), Hyundai AtoZ, Seat Aroza

As for the Fiesta / 206 / Clio / Micra / Polo, IMO all these cars are very capable for longer commutes. The OP said 100miles per day, which is presumably two 50 mile trips, which isn't really that much, I have regularly done my commute to work (over an hour and a quarter each way) in an MX-5 without complaint. I believe all these cars are easily good for alot more.

Now, if you are a rep, or something, putting up 300 miles a day regularly, then we are talking something different.

Advertisement