Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good long-distance car, less than 14k

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Come on, cars like a Punto or a Fiesta aren't "city cars", they're small admitttedly, but they're more than adequate for a decent daily commute. A city car, by most peoples' definition would be something like a Smart, which admittedly wouldn't be suitable for the task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lorraine78

Have you found a car yet?
    If you haven't let me know, I am selling a 03 polo, in showroom condition and its totally within your price range. Am looking for a quick sale as I'm leaving the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

50 miles doesn't sound much, all depends what traffic you encounter. I used to do the first 40 miles of my commute in 45 minutes or so, and the other 20 miles in 1 hour 15..

As for the cars being capable, i'm sure they are capable, but would you want to be stuck with one when there are other better options out there??

Let's put it this way, which would you rather own? For doing a hundred miles a day? A mondeo sized car or a focus/fiesta sized car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

CSS, I think you are deviating from the OP.

She, (I am assuming the OP is a she), wants:
    Fuel Efficiency, Low Insurance, A Small Car, and I am guessing from the post shed rather a newer car, with a budget of 14K.

So considering these requirements, I think the biggest sizes she should consider would be 307/corrolla/C4/Almera type cars.
    But, I think her best options would be a Fiesta/206/Panda with a diesel engine.

Let's put it this way, which would you rather own? For doing a hundred miles a day?

I would rather a Lamborghini Gallardo.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Let's put it this way, which would you rather own? For doing a hundred miles a day? A mondeo sized car or a focus/fiesta sized car?
    I own a Focus (1.6 TDCi C-Max actually) and I'd travel 100 miles a day quite happily in that, thank you very much. A Mondeo would offer me nothing extra, except maybe a smaller luggage compartment!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Having driven one for years I'd have to say that a very comfortable and economic car to drive is the Volkswagen Passat. You could get a relatively low mileage 99-01 for under 14k second hand. (Most of them were bought with distance travel in mind)

It is a very comfortable drive and I absolutely take on ccs's point about a larger car being more comfortable, especially if you are going to be sitting in it for long periods every day. It's so important to be comfortable in it; nice seats, nice space, nice dash etc.

And the majority of Passats sold were 1.9 Deisels so finding one shouldnt be a problem.

I used to get 600-700 miles of long distance travel from a full tank of what was then around €40 out of the passat and it never gave one bit of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

RedorDead wrote:
    Peugeot 206 LX 1.4 HDi

Some pre 04 206's have air con as standard too as well as rain sensing wipers and auto headlights. Lots of goodies.

See Prospects link to cbg cars.

That was going to be my recommendation. 206 is a very comfortable car for it's size and the engine is extremely economical. The pre 04 lx's and post '02 had A/C.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RedorDead wrote:
    Nissan Micra 1.5 DCi
    Peugeot 206 LX 1.4 HDi

or Fiat Punto Multijet 1.3

The Nissan is not for sale here afaik, and the 206 is €18k. The Punto is also outside of budget at €16k. The only one within budget is the Panda :)

To put a high mileage on a second hand (say 2-3 year old) 206 Diesel will probably cost more in depreciation than buying a Panda new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Mondeo or Focus dont bother with anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

@css The 206 1.4 is a hdi (turbo diesel). I've driven a few different ones and they're a smashing car. It's not underpowered and it's quite smooth. The o.p. said she wants low running costs and it fills the criteria.
    You could get a '03 with A/C but highisg mileage for 13,500 http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=234827

or

the same but without A/C and 16,000mls for 13,995 http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=243334

Plus, I'm sure if there is no trade in you'd get a nice discount on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You should be able to get a good 01 volvo S40 diesel for that. Stiff suspension so no problems from side winds, economical, safe and good power for overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

prospect wrote:
    As for the Fiesta / 206 / Clio / Micra / Polo, IMO all these cars are very capable for longer commutes.

those cars are a disaster for a long commute. apart from being more unsafe than a large car their dynamic handeling and solidity on the road is affected by their narrow wheelbase. literally the wheels arent far enough apart to be any good.

they are cheap to run but what good is that if your skull gets cracked open if it leaves the road and hits something.

Advertisement