Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moronic dog owners

Options
  • 30-05-2005 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

For the fourth time this year I've been out for a walk with my mutt and had him attacked by a dog off its lead. The usual scenario with the owner trying to pull his dog away and me trying to protect my pooch. My dog ended up having his mouth bitten and bleeding. I gave the owner abuse as this is the second time his dog attacked mine and he obviously learned nothing from the past.
    I decided enough is enough and rang my wife to give the local garda station a ring to see if they could send a car down to the local park (its about 2 minutes by car). They said its not a matter for them but for the dog warden who I assume doesn't operate on a Sunday night?. Isn't it against the law to have a dog off the lead in a public place and to attack another dog?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

99% sure its illegal to have a dog off a leash. I cant understand this either. I have a couple of friends who think its totally acceptable to leave their dog run free in public. Its stupid and very dangerous, thats what it is. My dogs are very friendly and sociable but I wouldnt trust them for a second off the lead.

Jeez, some people need a few lessons in keeping animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Under the Dangerous Dogs Act, when not on his own property, a dog must be kept on a leash by a person over 16 years at all times.

My cat is dead because of moronic dog owners. The guy let the dog out to just run around the neighbourhood. Dog ran into my garden and savaged my cat, dislocated her hip and fractured her leg in two places... Despite having had almost €650 worth of vetinary treatment and round-the-clock care from me and my mother, she died 2 weeks later of an infection at the site of the wounds. 11 years I had that cat, since the morning she was born, and she died slowly, painfully, and completely unneccessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Sherlock wrote:
    For the fourth time this year I've been out for a walk with my mutt and had him attacked by a dog off its lead.

Why didn't you boot that dog in the head? If any dog attacks mine when I'm out walking it is likely to get an almighty kick in its head regardless of whether the owner is there or not (my dog is extremely placid and wouldn't really fight back). Savage dogs loose and not controlled by their owners is just not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

if it was a child the dog bit u could be sure the garda would be there. another thing i hate is dog owners who let their dogs poop where ever they want and dont clean it up. my sister is blind in one eye from this and i also has toxacaris as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

About 15 years ago, our dog was attacked in the park by an old english sheepdog... a pretty large dog who was actually on his lead at the time (as was ours) but the person walking him was 9 or 10 years old and far too puny to control him physically... the dog must have been twice the weight of this boy.
    Question for anyone who knows: in this scenario, to what extent can you legaly go to get the uncontrollable dog away without it being 'cruelty'?

Actually I heard aswell that dogs are more likely to be agressive on the lead than off... interesting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The dog warden is the person to complain to, cops can't do much unless you get bitten yourself.
    Not that I would like to cause any dog harm but if my dog was attacked like that I would do anything to get the other dog off.
    Not enough people are being punished for not controlling their dogs.
    How is your pooch doing? It must be pretty traumitising for you and your dog if this is the fourth time, poor pooch won't want to set foot outside the door eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

If people cared about their dogs they would keep them on their leads where they are safe. I keep my elkhound on her lead when we're out cos I know she'd scare people cos she's quite large and has the features of a wolf (though she's completely harmless) and I'd be afraid that she might wander out under a car or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I do agree that dogs should also be kept on leashes when around others. In saying that, I live down the country, and theres a great field where he can roam around when I bring him for his walk. No other people, no other dogs- its great! If on the off chance someone else turns up, I just put him back on the lead.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Nala wrote:
    Under the Dangerous Dogs Act, when not on his own property, a dog must be kept on a leash by a person over 16 years at all times.

is that in the law??

our cat was killed by a dog that was on a leash, but the kid at the other end of the leash was only about 8....as soon as the dog saw the cat he just pulled the leash out of the kids hand....the cat died in the vets that nite.....the owner dropped down a box of celebrations later that evening :mad:

if u can't control it u shouldn't be waking it..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

For specific breeds dogs considered as 'dangerous', yes, but not for ordinary dogs. That having been said, you're still supposed to have the dog "under effectual control" at all times, which clearly wasn't the case in this instance.

See http://www.oasis.gov.ie/environment/control_of_dogs.html and http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA32Y1986.html for the details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

The dog warden is the person to complain to, cops can't do much unless you get bitten yourself.
    Not that I would like to cause any dog harm but if my dog was attacked like that I would do anything to get the other dog off.
    Not enough people are being punished for not controlling their dogs.
    How is your pooch doing? It must be pretty traumitising for you and your dog if this is the fourth time, poor pooch won't want to set foot outside the door eventually

Pooch is ok and I'm now bringing a walking stick when we're out. I don't like to do have to do it but the next dog that attacks my springer is going to get a crack on the back, no question about it.

Alun wrote:
    For specific breeds dogs considered as 'dangerous', yes, but not for ordinary dogs. That having been said, you're still supposed to have the dog "under effectual control" at all times, which clearly wasn't the case in this instance.

See http://www.oasis.gov.ie/environment/control_of_dogs.html and http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA32Y1986.html for the details.

"Dog not kept under control: On-the-spot fine of 12.70 euro payable to your local authority" thats gonna make people shake in there boots allright :eek:

unless an animal is perceived to be a threat to humans i don't think most people give a shìte.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

my mam was attacked by an alsatian, off lead, once...the owner of the dog's excuse was "It's only a puppy"....****ing thing was still big enough to knock her to the ground and it was only because my dad managed to give it a kick and drive it off that my mam wasn't seriously hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

RuggieBear wrote:
    my mam was attacked by an alsatian, off lead, once...the owner of the dog's excuse was "It's only a puppy"....****ing thing was still big enough to knock her to the ground and it was only because my dad managed to give it a kick and drive it off that my mam wasn't seriously hurt.

Sounds like the usual, don't worry he won't harm you as the dog jumps on you, someone recently said that to me, my reply was "yeah, cos next time he come near me I'll have him shot", you should of seen the owners face!!!!

Does anyone know if the dog scarer's (the ones that emit a high pitch noise) actually work?

I live by teh beach and often brign my daughter down, it's constantly full of dogs running, the owner's have leads alright but are a few 100 feets away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

dog scarers ...pepper spray ...anything like that ....BAAAD Idea

You might just flick the "rage" switch on some dogs, turning it from a nuisance into a real and unstopable biting machine.

Same goes for hitting, kicking, etc.

Make it your point to have a stern talking to with the owner. Point out damage to clothing, scared children, etc. Dog owners need to act more responsibly ...otherwise report them to the dog warden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Yeah my dog falls ito the category of being completely stupid and friendly and has had trouble with other unleashed dogs. as a puppy she would leg it up to people and kinda jump at them. obviously not in a threatening way, but in a doggy way. and as said above, she did kinda scare some kids and stuff. when their parents complained at the time i admit i told to them "____ off" and not be afraid of a harmless dog. but since then, dog goes everywhere on a lead publically.

so point is, aggressive unleashed dogs is inexcusable.
    overly friendly unleashed dogs are a nuisance (but i think kids should know not to panic and be afraid etc.)
    Therefore dogs should be kept on a lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The Garda are due to investigate only under the Dangerous Dogs act but even then they will try to cop out of their responsibilities. I'm having trouble around my patch with teenage tossers thinking they are the dogs bo##ocks (pun intended) 'cause they own a pitbull or some rottweiller called Satan or such other "hard" name. The sensible dog owners have embarked on a campaign of ringing TD's and local politicians. We've had some sucess. The politicos put pressure on the local Super who in turn puts it on his underlings. You have to keep up the calls though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Humpty D

If a dog killed my cat, I would kill the dog and kick the crap out of the irresponsible owner (with a weapon if they were bigger) - and I'm not actually a violent person, but I would gladly pay the consequences afterwards.
    when their parents complained at the time i admit i told to them "____ off" and not be afraid of a harmless dog

You're an as*hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Alun wrote:

That "dangerous" dogs classification is a joke.
    My GF's parents have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and he is the most obedient dog I have ever seen. Although he is very strong, he would never try to hurt or bite anyone.
    I can even put my entire hand in his mouth and all he does is try to lick it.
    I believe any dog can be brought up to be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dawballz wrote:
    I can even put my entire hand in his mouth and all he does is try to lick it.
    just you wait...one day a neighbour will be out with the BBQ frying big juicy burgers and the smell will waft up his nostrils as he's licking your hand and....SNAP. BYE BYE HAND.
    How stupid are you to put your hand inside a dogs mouth..even one of this breed???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Humpty D wrote:
    If a dog killed my cat, I would kill the dog and kick the crap out of the irresponsible owner (with a weapon if they were bigger) - and I'm not actually a violent person, but I would gladly pay the consequences afterwards.

You're an as*hole.

lol thank you. and you're a bit of a crazy looper if you'll kill someone cos their dog killed you cat. or you're liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

i have to admit, when i had a dog and brought him out he would be let off the lead. But he was a good dog and was in no way aggressive and i never once had a problem with him scaring anyone.

However he was a smallish dog, if/when i get a dog again i think i'll be getting a larger dog and to be honest i'd have to say i will probably let them off their lead, but i'd make sure that it wears a muzzel(SP?), is that the right word? Of course this will only be the case if it was an obediant dog, my aunts dog just runs off when they let it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

lol thank you. and you're a bit of a crazy looper if you'll kill someone cos their dog killed you cat. or you're liar.

And you apparently cannot read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Humpty D wrote:

You're an as*hole.

What give you the right to let your cat run around the streets? The dog is just following it's nature the same way a cat does when it kills a bird but you don't kill it.

What give you the right to let your cat run around the streets? The dog is just following it's nature the same way a cat does when it kills a bird but you don't kill it.

last time i checked cats weren't a danger to anyone elses pets or people out on the street...

everyone has the right to have their animals outside, its common decency and respect to others to try and minimise as much as possible the chances of your pet killing another persons pet....

from the Staute book..
    9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—

( a ) the premises of the owner, or

( b ) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or

( c ) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,

unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

bonzai bob wrote:
    i have to admit, when i had a dog and brought him out he would be let off the lead. But he was a good dog and was in no way aggressive and i never once had a problem with him scaring anyone.

Ah yes, just like every Irish mother says
    "My little Johnny would never do that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Gryzor wrote:
    last time i checked cats weren't a danger to anyone elses pets or people out on the street...

Tell that to my the pets I have killed and injured by cats. They also smell a lot when the mark their areas. Cats also disturbing neighbours when they go around shagging at night. Cats are also a risk to pregnant woman and childrens' eyesight due to the deseases they carry. I can get if you aren't a dog person but to ignore you own pets faults and threaten violence makes you are rather limited in your views IMHO. In some cities you aren't allowed let your cat roam.

I don't have a cat but I don't hate them either

Tell that to my the pets I have killed and injured by cats. They also smell a lot when the mark their areas. Cats also disturbing neighbours when they go around shagging at night. Cats are also a risk to pregnant woman and childrens' eyesight due to the deseases they carry. I can get if you aren't a dog person but to ignore you own pets faults and threaten violence makes you are rather limited in your views IMHO. In some cities you aren't allowed let your cat roam.

I don't have a cat but I don't hate them either

cats, male and female should be neutered and spayed (my female is recovering from her op yesterday, the male will lose the use of his nuts as soon as he's old enough.. :eek: ), this will put a stop to alot of the behaviour you state above. I'd have a dog too if my back garden was big enough :( , it wouldn't be fair at the moment though. other posters threatened violence, i didn't, its an over-reaction.....the jist of my last post was dogs can do alot more damage than cats, thats just my opinion and experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 eirbiz

My life has been made a misery by people who acquire dogs and then forget about the rights or comfort of others.
    In the hope of preventing more misery I have devoted DogS-h-i-tDepot.com to the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Non "dangerous breeds" shall keep the dog on a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length if a fixed leash, or ten metres if retractable, while in that area, except during the following times when the dog may be unleashed in such areas (but excluding the North Bull Island and any other such area for which a Special Amenity Area Order is made) provided that such dog must still be under the effectual control of the person-in-charge of the dog in accordance with the Control of Dogs Acts, 1986 and 1992:

January & December: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    4.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.

February & November: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    4.30 p.m. - 5.30 p.m.

March & October: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    5.30 p.m. - 6.30 p.m. (Wintertime)
    6.30 p.m. - 7.30 p.m. (Summertime)

April & September: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    7.30 p.m. - 8.30 p.m.

May & June: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    July & August: 8.30 p.m. - 9.30 p.m.

They Must be under control though.

Otherwise you will have to keep it on the lead. People who scream and wave at dog owners as they approach them are nuts, they just arouse the dogs natural curiosity and attract them.

Advertisement