Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Sat Broadband

Options
  • 30-05-2005 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

As damien knows i have been communicating heavaly with alot of companys looking for the ideal alternative line and wireless broadband solution for those who cannot get it, its taken a while and well i only found one afordable solution.

http://www.fastnetbroadband.com

€50 euro a month, The equipment cost is built into the rental cost of €50.00 on a monthly basis, with a once off installation fee of €150.00.

This is the only solution i can find atm that is resonably affordable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Can you point me to the details of that particular offering on their website? The options seem very confusing.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

You would think the website is very vauge but it acctually gives alot of info.

Email info@fastnetbroadband.com They are very fast at responding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I thinks its vague.

Go to this website and roll your own , point the following kit at the astra sat and its ready when you can see BBC1 TV on your PC

http://www.hm-sat-shop.de

Summe Art-Nr. Artikelbezeichnung Entfernen
    €33,00 10071 Gibertini 65 cm

€28,00 10247 Invacom Single LNB, 40mm Feed, 0,3 dB €65.00 10266

€65.00 10266 Technisat SkyStar 2 TV / PVR new Version (PCI card not USB)

€13,00 10481 Satfinder SAT-Master

€15,00 10135-101 Wandhalter (Wall Mount Bracket for dish )

Shipping about €25

Subtotal c. €155 Incl Vat
    20m Cable and F Connectors about €20 locally

Thats €175 for the equipment, install it yourself.

Now you can go to any of the one way sat providers for a downlink and use 3 month contracts so if they are crap you can change to another .

You will still need a modem or (ideally) isdn + a Flat Rate package for the uplink.

quicker and cheaper than 2 way and you own the kit which is standard .

That would be great and all if we wernt talking about a 2 way service

This is a 2 way service sponge bob

and why pay 175 when you can just pay 150 off them

http://files.livewire-web.com/fastnet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Blitz, that 150 is for Option1 (which doesn't include equipment). If you check out their pricing page, you'll see they have 2 options. The first is to supply your own equipment or to buy outright from them (and Sponge Bob's 175 quid is a lot cheaper than their cheapest option 1,700 quid). The scond option includes equipment rental, but is 60 quid/month dearer.

.cg

• Advertisement

Thats not what ive been told over the phone and via email

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

From what I can see basically there setting up small exchanges( for the want of a better analogy) with a satellite backend and a wireless last mile( again FTWOABA).

Any 10-30 users within 3 miles can share the connection. so it's really only viable in small town(or bigger). someone living 3 miles from the nearest house would be better off getting their own satellite connection IMHO, .

Though if there are 30 users in a 3 mile area then are there better alternitives?? Will 30 users use up the bandwidth. And the most important question i can see is who moniters the users, i.e. to make sure that noone is hogging the connection.

Are there any Group Broad band schemes which have a similar setup?? How succesfull are they??

That said it looks like a very interesting proposal, and I'd love to hear how anyone gets on using it.

That said it looks like a very interesting proposal, and I'd love to hear how anyone gets on using it.

Well were looking to set it up in my home town with 3 confirmed users aisides from me

Sounds like a pretty good deal for people without SBob's expertise but they should update their website.

it does and of course you will see all my comments on the service in here.

• Advertisement

Ah OK, my bad .. Sponge Bob and myself were looking at their 2 way satellite service. You're looking at their wireless service (which probably uses 2-way satellite as the backhaul?). I'd have to say any community based network should think twice (and up to 20 times) about using satellite as the network's backhaul. Also, if you've got the numbers for a community network that makes it viable for a Satellite company to set up the network, it's worth double checking with wireless providers to see if they might be interested. Sorry if this is all obvious to you!

Finally, I'm asking that you remove the email address and content from your posts unless you've got explicit permission to post it publically.

God, that's good that they'll set it up for 4 people.. fair play!

cgarvey wrote:
    God, that's good that they'll set it up for 4 people..

Will they? The pdf suggests a minimum of 10 connections. I guess, Blitz, that you are still recruiting....?

cgarvey wrote:
    God, that's good that they'll set it up for 4 people.. fair play!

Essentially yes Your doing a wireless service with satelite backhaul, i emailed alot of companys about acctually putting a wireless service however no replys from any of them, the Broadband.gov.ie website had 65 applicants for bb in the town i am in (which changed to 2 a while ago :eek: )

Unfortunatly its the only option....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Blitz wrote:
    Unfortunatly its the only option....

My sympathies , could you not approach wireless operators with some presence in Wicila such as IBB (north) Digiweb west and sw and Clearwire over quite a bit of it. Clearwire have yet to launch (June or July I hear) but seem to have a few licences in your neck of the woods , see the thread on them over in the BB forum for the map of areas .

2 way sat is cack , in a nutshell. It will do browsing and email and thats it, even ssl is a hit and miss if you wanna do online banking or buy something .

Advertisement