Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Economic rewards of independent thought

• 30-05-2005 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or under 'Work', but I thought I'd get a better response here.

Having a bit of a career crisis at the moment, generally based on total intolerance for the compromised values and doublethink-style conformity required to work in any modern corporation or big business. With the certain knowledge that I can't keep suckling at the teat of capitalism for no greater reward than a bit more beer money for much longer, I have a question, which I admit is a bit open, but you may have some ideas on:

What jobs are there that actually require independent/abstract thought and good ideas as the main criteria? As in jobs that don't involve humouring some dead-eyed manager, sweating over deadlines, staring at an Excel sheet all day and so on. I mean, of course, outside of the obvious (and unrealistic, for me anyway) ones like philosophy lecturer, novelist, sculptor, etc., etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Theoretically you could combine the two by finding a job in a reasonably independent advertising/marketing company. Of course, that depends on there still being a company willing to make interesting adverts instead of just using something like the crazy frog ringtone or whatever.

Freelance artist/journalist/writer?

To be honest, I can see it being pretty damn difficult finding a job that pays the bills and doesn't involve at least some of the large enterprise drawbacks. It's not like you're the only one who'd like to get away from all that. You could consider teaching though. If you get into a decent school it's not a bad job (several friends of mine from college are now teachers and most of them prefer it to corporate jobs they had originally).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Theremin

The freelance (writing) route is one I'm considering, but I know a couple of people who do that and it seems to be very difficult to make it work with any degree of regularity.

I did some telephone surveys once as a part-time job and found it interesting and fairly rewarding. I presume you would need an academic qualification in marketing to get more substantial work in that area though.

I've also considered teaching and have done some tutoring work in college. Not sure I could handle teaching kids who don't want to learn though.

Do you know if there are many opportunities in adult education and what the necessary qualifications are? I have a Master's Degree, but no HDip.

I'm aware that many people aside from myself would like to get away from business, but I think if you're not unrealistic or overly idealistic about it, it should be possible to make a living with some integrity. I'm really only after something (anything) that doesn't require constant moving and isn't solely focussed on the profit imperative.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not too sure about teaching in Ireland, but I know that in the UK there are a lot of programmes whereby you can start a teacher-training course with a school and get trained up while you study for your PGCE (that's the uk qualification required to be allowed to teach). I imagine there's something similar here. It shouldn't be too hard to get into some sort of program for it if you have Master's though.

Edit: And in an effort to make this somehow relevant to the Philosophy board, I give you this page about what sort of jobs would have a significant demand for philosopher-type qualities. (You may also be interested in this bit about teaching).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement