Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruits Basket

Options
  • 30-05-2005 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Fruits Basket is a good series or not?

I have now watched every episode of Azumanga Daioh and I loved it and want to find something along the same lines.

I seen Fruits Basket Volume 1 for sale in HMV the other day for €39.99! Which is a bit steep... but I can get the entire series from dvdsoon.com for €58.55... but I wanted to know if anyone has any opinions on it first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Yeah, it's a great series. If you liked Azumanga I'd say you'll like Fruits Basket too. Plus they managed to fit the whole series onto four DVDs which is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Grand... I just ordered the whole thing.

HMV have some cheek though with the prices they charge for anime...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Grand... I just ordered the whole thing.

HMV have some cheek though with the prices they charge for anime...

crazy bastard, anime is so expensive, although I do like to own a series or two.
    I need to get some more actually.
    on the topic though, yeah fruits basket is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Fruit's Basket is an exception, because they put tons of episodes on the discs - the whole series only comes on 4 discs. I bought it all at once as well, but I wish I had waited for a bit now - I didnt think they would be releasing a boxed set for it :) Although technically, you can buy the box on its own... I should probably get around to that some time ^^

Fruits basket is a very good series, but I wouldnt draw much similarity to Azumanga - well, except that theyre both sort of a relaxed and light hearted shoujo affair. Incidentally, if youre expecting the whole story from the anime, you wont get it - the manga continues on for ages (and is still going, iirc). It's one of the many recent series that serve as little more than an extended trailer for a manga ^^;

A

Asuka wrote:
    I bought it all at once as well, but I wish I had waited for a bit now - I didnt think they would be releasing a boxed set for it :) Although technically, you can buy the box on its own... I should probably get around to that some time
    Ha. I've noticed this recently. You can buy little boxes to stick your series in if you've bought them seperately. You can do this with lots of series now... crazy stuff... but a good idea nonetheless.

I'd like to be able to get the boxes for my Azumanga and Cowboy Beebop collections actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Well, generally you get the option to buy the first disc with or without the collectors box, which fits all the rest of the DVDs. They usually throw in a tshirt or soundtrack or something as well, when you buy the first disc + box. The way Fruits Basket went was a bit weird because they released them all individually without a box in sight (and no expectation of one, since it was only 4 discs) and then they released the boxed set and made the box available to buy on its own :)

A

Well it arrived this week.

Sheesh... that took a while. DVDsoon may be cheep and have a good selction but they can be pretty slow...

I've watched the first disc so far and I'm enjoying it alot.

I get a bit tired of the action packed anime, so this is a nice change of pace.

Robotech would have been the first anime I would have seen as a kid and it wasn't the giant robots that attracted me to it, it was the complicated love triangle. Through good writing they were actually able to convey their themes through the story and not have to have a cheesey moral stuck on the end like the american cartoons of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Well it arrived this week.

Sheesh... that took a while. DVDsoon may be cheep and have a good selction but they can be pretty slow...

I've watched the first disc so far and I'm enjoying it alot.

I get a bit tired of the action packed anime, so this is a nice change of pace.

Robotech would have been the first anime I would have seen as a kid and it wasn't the giant robots that attracted me to it, it was the complicated love triangle. Through good writing they were actually able to convey their themes through the story and not have to have a cheesey moral stuck on the end like the american cartoons of the time.
    Well it is also good to know about Robotech that it is in fact the american version of Macross (Japanese) and that the storyline has been completely changed from the original Macross, as well as having bits and pieces added here and there and some taken away. Also season 2 and 3 of Robotech was only made for the American market, it has never been released in Japan. The original Macross in its Japanese format is available in France in a Collector dvd pack. Might get that sometimes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Ohh may have to pick it up as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

pingoo wrote:
    Well it is also good to know about Robotech that it is in fact the american version of Macross (Japanese) and that the storyline has been completely changed from the original Macross, as well as having bits and pieces added here and there and some taken away. Also season 2 and 3 of Robotech was only made for the American market, it has never been released in Japan. The original Macross in its Japanese format is available in France in a Collector dvd pack. Might get that sometimes :)

Not true. Seasons 2 & 3 of 'Robotech' were actually aired in Japan, but they weren't Macross. Robotech was stitched together out of three independent series (no relationship whatsoever, except for studios and personalities involved):
    Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
    Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross
    Genesis Climber Mospeada

All were released uncut in the US I believe, though I am uncertain if Animeigo released all of Macross.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Trionadreams

Yes, so far the manga I have been reading of it has been fantastic, so I can't see why the anime could be bad. I hear you can get the 'entire' series for about 50 euro and under I hear in places.

But yes, fruit baskets I do recommend.

Advertisement